Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this doesn't really belong here, but you're the people I want the opinions from.

In the states, what, in your opinion, is the best motorcycle magazine?

I was at the store last night and saw 3 different ones (sport rider, cycle news, and one I can't think of right now...it's still early).

I'd like to get a subscription to one at some point but I don't feel like wasting money on single issues of sucky magazines.

·
Respect My Authority!
574 Posts
Motorcycle Consumer News is very good but it is subscription only and it is black and white. It is also more expensive than most but they have good reviews and good tech articles. Motorcyclist is my next favorite. They cover all types of bikes and usually have lots of info in them including tech tips. They also list a majority of the bikes specs as well as their performance info like 1/4 mile etc.

·
Speedbump
226 Posts
It's hard to judge a magazine on one issue, and it really depends on what your interests are. Some are pure sport bike, some are more varied, some provide more gear review, some are or race oriented, etc.

You can actually get several at a ridiculously low subscription rate. Sport Rider, Motorcyclist, Cycle World are cheap. Get them for a year and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
They all have a different bias. Buy a couple of each off the news stand and decide which you like.

I often buy Superbike (out of the UK). Most of their stuff is on big sport bikes but the writing is pretty good, sometimes hilarious. It seems pretty evident, from the writing and articles, that they have fun with what they do.

http://www.superbike.co.uk/index.htm

·
Super Nibber
501 Posts
I got Sport Rider and Motorcyclist each for $13 a year. At that price its worth it to have something to thumb through in the bathroom. They cover a large subject in a very general way...worth just about a buck an issue in my opinion.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Cycle World all the way, any motorcycle rag that says this about the FZ6 is worth a read.............“For a more advanced rider looking for a bike to do it all, there is no other choice.”

That article, plus a 599 vs Z750 vs FZ6 in cycle canada magazine is why I bought my FZ6, over the phone....................

·
Registered
732 Posts
I read Cycle World (worth the subscription just for Peter Egan's column), and Rider. I know that Rider is a bit tame for this crowd, but they've got pretty good articles and do a good job of covering the sport-touring side of motorcycling. Another plus, anyone subscribing to Rider magazine gets a great discount on GMAC motorcycle insurance (I pay less than half of what Progressive quoted me for my FZ6).

·
Registered
46 Posts
I read Cycle World, Rider, and Motorcyclist pretty regularly (and they keep me regular! :lao ). There is also another mag that I think is put out by Cycle World called Motorcyle Adventure-good stories about trips people take on their bikes. The UK mags are really good too but much more expensive.

·
Speedbump
226 Posts
FZ6 said:
I got Sport Rider and Motorcyclist each for $13 a year. At that price its worth it to have something to thumb through in the bathroom. They cover a large subject in a very general way...worth just about a buck an issue in my opinion.
Victoria's Secrets catalogs are free.

·
Registered
147 Posts
tilejerky said:
I read Cycle World (worth the subscription just for Peter Egan's column)

+1 on Peter Egan's column. I subscribe to Motorcyclist because they publish dyno results and ergo's for their tests. They now have a "Garage" section devoted to various tuning/maintenance real world articles. For $1 an issue it is pretty good.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
FZ6 said:
You really need to just put a terminal in the bathroom, so that you can read the forums while you are in there :pisson 'ing

·
jess wanna ryd
315 Posts
:eek:nfloor laptop wireless and Disinfectant Spray!

ceek

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
avvacuppa said:
who need,s bike mags when you have a lap top.
I don't have a laptop, and I need SOMETHING to read while I'm on the can.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
So far I liked Cycle World, Two Wheel Tuner and Motor Cyclist. All 3 do some pretty good work at giving information.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you can only have one, get Cycle World.

To me Motorcyclist and Sport Rider are not too different in content.

I think Rider is a good mag: not so much focused on pure performance numbers but real world abilities of an mc as well as the "joy of motorcycling". They also have articles on various individuals' favorite roads from all over the country with pics and maps etc...inspires me to want to go for a long ride. Also a monthly safety/technique column.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I've only read one Cycle World but I didn't find I got much out of it. It was mostly all glorified advertising in the guise of articles, I found. The issue was the one detailing the 600 supersports for 05.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Speaking of Cycle World....
Anyone catch a glimps of our beloved FZ6 sporting M4 cans in this months issue? (september 2005 / pg 24)

Just a glimps of the rear, but it is there!
(looks a bit like my bike but it doesn't have the seat cowl and it is still sporting the billboard/mudflap ) :lol :)

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Off topic but speaking of billboards, did you remove the warning stickers from the windshield? I'm a bit nervous to go at those, the rest are history.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts