Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe should of posted this in the Suzuki forum but it doesn't seem to get much traffic so I thought I'd post it here. I have an 04 Suzuki GSXR 600, just got it a week or so ago, has almost 5k miles. Anyways, bought it from a friend who probably wasn't the "easiest" with the bike, he liked to do wheelies and yada. Anyways, today I was just cruising along grandma shifting it and I forget what gear I was going into, was 3rd or 4th and like it felt like the bike didn't go into gear and then for a second it made this clanking sound from down below almost as if the foot shifter was loose or something... just to describe the sound. Kind of worries me, first time its done that. Any ideas?

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
you might have just not have pulled the shifter up far enough to engage the next gear.

" bought it from a friend who probably wasn't the "easiest" with the bike, he liked to do wheelies and yada"

Why did you buy the bike?

·
Registered
597 Posts
That was most likely a false neutral. I did that once. You may have been doing way to much grandma on that shift and didn't pull up hard enough. Just have to make sure you pull up hard enough to get it into gear before letting out the clutch. Should be ok. Bike trannies seem to be more forgiving than a cars because of the wet clutch.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2001FZ1 said:
you might have just not have pulled the shifter up far enough to engage the next gear.

" bought it from a friend who probably wasn't the "easiest" with the bike, he liked to do wheelies and yada"

Why did you buy the bike?
I got a pretty good deal. 04 GSXR, never laid down, 4200 miles, 5k dollars plus he threw in an 800 dollar Arai helmet. Plus most younger people who own sport bikes aren't exactly easy on them.

Would ti still have been a false neutral even though I was already passed 2nd gear, I believe? It just sounded horrible, made me cringe for a second.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
false neutral can happen in any gear EXCEPT the 1 - 2 shift....that would be a regular neutral.

Has happened to me on 3-4, 4-5, and 5-6 shift when I'm being sloppy with shifting, but not extremely common (for me).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TRaGiK said:
false neutral can happen in any gear EXCEPT the 1 - 2 shift....that would be a regular neutral.

Has happened to me on 3-4, 4-5, and 5-6 shift when I'm being sloppy with shifting, but not extremely common (for me).

Thanks a lot for the reply, and for the other replies submitted by the other members. Was worried there for a second, thought the blue beast was messed up. :)

·
Registered
791 Posts
my extremely limited riding experience tells me the sound was just you dumping clutch without being in the proper speed range.

What is grandma shifting?
Break down the False Nuetral plz

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
false neutral is where the tranny is in between gears, so the bike acts like its in neutal because its not in gear. it happens when you dont shift hard enough, like said above.

and i think grandma shifting is just taking it real easy and not shifting very hard.

false neutral used to happen to me a lot on my fizzer, and it would make all the bad noise. didnt like it one bit. it sucks when you're powering through the gears, get a false neutral, and bring it way into the red.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The control arm that attaches to the shifter is adjustable. Move the adjusters to lower the shift lever. It may be set up wrong for your height, and body dimensions. I kept getting false neutrals on my 929 until I adjusted the lever a little bit down, and it has been perfect ever since. :)

·
Registered
886 Posts
Grinding sound? Yeah, as everyone said happens because A) From shifting like a grandma (be firm with it and push it into gear) or B) Because you have a bike with a POS transmission and/or C) Your shift lever isn't adjusted for your feet. You are a case A.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I havent had a single false neutral on my Katana, I can't understand how people with better bikes manage to misshift with the current bikes that must be way better than my Katana...

Heck, I bet that if you tried to ride my U2 you would find every single false neutral the tranny can come up with! (long throw shifts, not very precise shifter linkage, and the tranny is not very smooth)

People, learn how to shift properly, please...

·
Already Sick of Winter
3,273 Posts
Süsser Tod said:
I havent had a single false neutral on my Katana, I can't understand how people with better bikes manage to misshift with the current bikes that must be way better than my Katana...

Heck, I bet that if you tried to ride my U2 you would find every single false neutral the tranny can come up with! (long throw shifts, not very precise shifter linkage, and the tranny is not very smooth)

People, learn how to shift properly, please...
the tranny in your Katana is the same tranny that was in the original GSXRs. its bulletproof. the engine is the same as well minus the cams, carbs and ignition box. its bulletproof too.

the rest of your bike is still Katana though. sorry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts