Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Squidtastical
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my cheap method for keeping my bike from getting ripped off. A 8000 lb chain with a shrouded lock on a eyebolt. I know its not perfect, but I'm hoping it will keep the amateurs away. I always lock the steering and I am saving up for a good alarm. Once I get the alarm (with proximity sensor), I figure that will be the best I can do since my garage is converted into a den.

What kind of locks have you guys had luck with?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I can't tell from the picture - is the chain anchored to the concrete pad?

It is very common for thieves to roll up with a pickup truck, then a few guys push it up into the flat bed. Locking the bike to itself is ineffective in this case. You want the bike anchored to the earth.

Also, through a bike cover or a tarp over the bike. The uglier the tarp the better, and don't get a fancy logo bike cover that translates to read "expensive bike under here".

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
KevinTheCake said:
Here is my cheap method for keeping my bike from getting ripped off. A 8000 lb chain with a shrouded lock on a eyebolt. I know its not perfect, but I'm hoping it will keep the amateurs away. I always lock the steering and I am saving up for a good alarm. Once I get the alarm (with proximity sensor), I figure that will be the best I can do since my garage is converted into a den.

What kind of locks have you guys had luck with?
Hey, nice job. I did something similar. I also have a Xena audible disk lock on the other rim. Scorpio alarm should be installed this weekend.

Store the machine in the garage anyway. Park a vehicle in front of the garage at all times too! That's what I do. Although I have another thick galvanized chain that I occasionally use if I'm taking a shower, or doing something around the house and will use it later that day.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
What do you mean 8000lb lock? I have a kryptonite 15ft cable with a master lock, lock the handlebars & have a plain gray cover over it. My bike is yellow/black and I know the yellow can be eye catching. I don't have a garage, it's parked on my bike patio which helps a little.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Chinygyal said:
What do you mean 8000lb lock? I have a kryptonite 15ft cable with a master lock, lock the handlebars & have a plain gray cover over it. My bike is yellow/black and I know the yellow can be eye catching. I don't have a garage, it's parked on my bike patio which helps a little.
My best guess is it has an 8000 lb tensile strength. You'd have to pull on it with 4 tons for it to break.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
skeleton said:
It is very common for thieves to roll up with a pickup truck, then a few guys push it up into the flat bed. Locking the bike to itself is ineffective in this case. You want the bike anchored to the earth.
+1. There are some people around here who specialize in stealing HDs (and if they ever get caught...) They have a van with a lift. They pull up next to the bike, five minutes or less and it's in the van. Most of the bikes taken are within a half mile of a freeway onramp.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
My bike lock is State farm Insurance. It will not not keep the bike from being stolen but, it does buy me a new one, less the deductible.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Replacement cost, including mods? There's another question for my insurance rep.

·
Registered
227 Posts
guys here in the UK pull up next to your bike if it not chained down, 4 of them. they get two poles and stick on through the front tyre, one through the back tyre and then lift and litteraly run it into the back of the transit van. Doors shut and gone within about 20seconds of your alarm going off. you have no chance of stopping them..really sux in the UK! bikes get taken all the time!

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
mwellbel said:
guys here in the UK pull up next to your bike if it not chained down, 4 of them. they get two poles and stick on through the front tyre, one through the back tyre and then lift and litteraly run it into the back of the transit van. Doors shut and gone within about 20seconds of your alarm going off. you have no chance of stopping them..really sux in the UK! bikes get taken all the time!
More reason to chain your machine to the ground.

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
mwellbel said:
Jesus! People can be douchebags, cant they.

·
Squidtastical
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The chain is 8000 lb hardened steel, as well as the 6" eyebolt in the ground. I had to take a 2 foot long pole stuck in the eye to wind it into the concrete. I wont stop a determined thief, but it will keep the local high school kids away.

·
Registered
354 Posts
That can of petrol in the photo KevinTheCake will come in handy for flamethrowing any bastards who try to pinch ya bike.

Just don't stop burning till they are coal.

And have a great day :)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I use a disk lock, a thick chain from home depot(dont feel like $120 is a good price for a kryptonite chain) and i have a cheetah alarm. i hope all of these things will deter most thieves. One thing i've heard, the professionals now have portable plasma cutter that can get through anything in seconds. if they want to take it, they will.

·
Registered
227 Posts
ditto on the portable cutters! guys here have hydrolic hand cutters that cut through almost anything in a couple of seconds. Got dupped into spending almost $500 on a chain when I bought my bike that I hardly ever use now. (too bloody heavy!) if they had told me that buying a top of the range chain only adds about 15 seconds to your cut time of about 100 seconds for lesser chains, wouldn't have paid the extra dosh! but was young and niave and didn't want anybody else running away with my baby!

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
gtfazer6 said:
I use a disk lock, a thick chain from home depot(dont feel like $120 is a good price for a kryptonite chain) and i have a cheetah alarm. i hope all of these things will deter most thieves. One thing i've heard, the professionals now have portable plasma cutter that can get through anything in seconds. if they want to take it, they will.
I heard a lot of horror stories with Kryponite chains, specifically that being the lock unit being picked using a pen (not sure how that works). And therefore I did the same thing, thick guage (heavy as hell!) chain and a relatively expensive Master brand lock (good reputation). Spent half of what those Kryponite locks cost and probably more reliable.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
mikem317 said:
I heard a lot of horror stories with Kryponite chains, specifically that being the lock unit being picked using a pen (not sure how that works). And therefore I did the same thing, thick guage (heavy as hell!) chain and a relatively expensive Master brand lock (good reputation). Spent half of what those Kryponite locks cost and probably more reliable.
There was a recall on the kryptonite locks. You took the can out of the non-writing end of a Bic pen, and you could pick the lock. There were some videos of it floating around the internet for a while.

·
Squidtastical
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I read that kryptonite was recalling the locks. They will pay to ship it back to them and they will send you a new improved model for free.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
KevinTheCake said:
I read that kryptonite was recalling the locks. They will pay to ship it back to them and they will send you a new improved model for free.
Would you want to leave your machine, with all the mods and stories on her, in the "protective" hands of a firm with a so-so reputation? Didn't think so.

The custom lock is decent. Obviously not going to prevent pretty experienced and determined theives from taking it, but it will keep honest people honest. Best strategy is just to throw everything you got into security, e.g. alarm, disk lock, chain to ground, locked in garage, etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts