Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
** Carb and idle problems

Hello, I just bought a '92 600f2 with 20,700 plus miles

The last owner doesn't know when the bike was serviced...

Problem is after warmup and riding for a few minutes, the bike will stall if I am at a stoplight. The clutch can be pulled in and I'm in first gear and it will stall, or I can be in neutral and it will stall.

The only way I can keep it running is by keeping the revs up.

Any advice? :)

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Holy crap that's the exact same problem I'm having... does it idle fine and then just die for no reason, or does it idle shitty and then die??

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
try adjusting your idle screw up so it will idle higher. warm it up, and start adjusting upwards. i wouldn't make it idle any faster than say 1500-2000 rpm, but it may be set too low.

also, try checking the plugs and since the dude you bought it from doesn't know when it was serviced last, i would drain EVERYTHING and change everything I could. Try the idle adjuster first should be on the clutch side of the engine. be careful though b/c you'll prolly burn your hand if you touch something warm in there :)

Of course, i could be wrong, but I would try that first.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Sorry MT but I'm going to have to butt in on this thread since I'm having the same problem... except I know that my plugs and air filter are brand new, and my idle isn't set too low.

OK so I went out and warmed the bike up, set my idle to 2K and it ran fine... but as soon as I lowered it it tried to stall out and eventually did.... wtf.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no worries, my idle is not crappy it's just very very low and then the engine dies.

silent thanks for the info too I will see what I can do. Don't wanna put too much money into this bike but I know it needs a checkup! :)

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Yeah try upping your idle, that made mine not die anymore... what the hell could that be though.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
Spike said:
Sorry MT but I'm going to have to butt in on this thread since I'm having the same problem... except I know that my plugs and air filter are brand new, and my idle isn't set too low.

spike, maybe you have a fuel issue, like it isnt' getting it in some form. isnt' your bike carbed?
you might also send a pm to hybrid...

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
I PMed him... Thanks for the info :) Yeah perhaps it's some kind of fuel issue (the bike is carbed). I always thought my carbs were running rich... but that wouldn't make any sense would it? Well I guess if it's running so rich that at idle it's dumping massive amounts of fuel and not enough air, causing the engine to choke and die (pardon the expression haha). But if it was running so rich wouldn't I be able to smell fuel??

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
if the idle is set too low, it just doesnt' work. dunno why, i just know it doesn't. sorry guys, there is some stuff i can explain and some I can't...that's why i said to pm hybrid, he is much better at explaining things than i am. i can just tell you what to try, based off what you described, but not the why behind it.

i'm betting you are too rich and may need to get it rejetted. and not necessarily will you smell fuel, but look at the end cap of your exhaust...if it is rich I think it is black.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Well, thanks for helping! I'm really not wanting to have to pull the carbs off... but I will if I have to. I'll talk to one of my mechanic friends about it tomorrow.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
cool keep me updated. i really like to figure things out anyway, so everytime someone has an issue and i can learn from it, i'm happy.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Yeah I'll def let you know... I like to learn things as well, I'm always poking my nose into things up at the shop when I see the mechanics working on something.

·
Registered
288 Posts
my f2 will not run any lower than 1800-2000 rpms at idle of it to will stall. but i think i also have a carb problem becuase when its hot out and the bike idles for to long with out a change in rpms in floods out and wont start for a little while untill the plugs dry out. i think im gonna send my bike to the shop for a full tune up that will solve all lol

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
A tune up won't solve the problem if you're running way too rich... you have to get into the carbs to fix that.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
i think that's part of a tuneup.. a good one anyway

As for mixture, look at your plugs. You won't be able to smell it unless it's really bad. Or, the general rule is, if you blip the throttle and the rpms stay up for a bit, it's lean. If they drop below the idle speed and then go back up, it's rich.
I don't see why you'd need to have the idle at 1500-2000. A four cylinder should be nice and stable at 1200. A twin maybe higher.

You should look into your idle mixture screws. That's how you adjust mixture at idle, and you can get an absolutely rock solid idle if you spend an hour or two with them. Though I don't really understand why a crash would change them, spike.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well I adjusted the idle screw and it runs fine now!

now stalls whatsoever...though I still plan to take it in the shop for a tune up

I also made sure the fan works.... let it idle in a parking lot and it works fine :D

Hondas :)

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Yeah, mine is supposed to idle at like 1350-1400, which is generally where it idles. Maybe I'll get one of the guys that works up at the shop to come over to my place and fine tune my idle for me.

The thing about the idle is, it didn't start doing it right after the crash, it just randomly started doing it about a week and a half ago... actually I think I put new plugs in and it started doing that. I put new plugs in cause I thought the bike was down on power (I thought the bike was running rich and just running out the plugs real quick). However I can no longer tell if it's down in power, I think I might be crazy, not sure.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
It's worth a shot. You can also see where they're at now, and if that's close to stock. You do that by counting how many rotations it takes to LIGHTLY seat them. (lightly, because if you force it, you'll make a groove in the tip of the screw, and that's bad). Shop manual will tell you what the stock setting is. If it's still there, you might have a problem elsewhere.

Another possibility are the floats. If they're not closing right, or the float height is off, or the valve is leaking, your fuel level might be too high and enriching it that way. Two ways to check this: take the carb apart and measure where the floats are, or attach a clear hose to the drain screw and put it along the side of the carb. Then open the drain screw and see how high the fuel goes. This tells you exactly where the fuel level is (but do NOT move the tube up and down when you do this..). I don't know if they do this for inclined carbs like yours or not, but if the shop manual has a value for this then it's another option. So there's two numbers: float height (take carbs apart) and fuel height (tube on the side). It's just two ways to measure the same thing.

If you do take the carbs apart, check the condition of the needle valve (the thing the floats operate), and the orings in the seat.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
I understood about 15% of what you just said haha. What I'll probably do is just get someone to come look at it... in lieu of taking it into the shop, cause then they charge me lots of money. If I pull the carbs off myself and bring them into the shop, how much time do you think it would take them to figure out these things that you're talking about? And do you need to have the carbs on the bike to measure these things, or can you do it off the bike?

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
ok, i had two ideas, idle mixture screws and float height. You can measure both without taking the carbs off, as long as you can get to them with that funky vtwin setup.

The mixture screws are just that, screws. Stick a screwdriver in and turn them. If you can get to these with the engine running, then it will be a piece of cake to set them right.

There are two ways to measure float height. One is to take the carbs off, take the fuel bowl off, and measure from the float to the base of the carb body. The other way doesn't involve taking the carbs off: put a tube in the carb drain, and open the drain. The fuel will rise in the tube to the same level that's in the carb, so you can just measure it. The first way will use a number called "float height", the second "fuel height" or "fuel level". Both numbers should be in a shop manual.

Both of these things are pretty straight forward to check, though I have no idea how much a shop will charge ya (always did it myself).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts