Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my bike hit a car today and the front is totally messed up. So ya whatever I guess you guys are happy to know I got into my first accident and I totally deserve it. So ya find all the memes you need and roast me all you want.

But on a serious note, I had right of way, I was lane splitting through stopped cars and this guy makes a left turn on me into my right of way. I was on the main road going straight and this guy makes left turn into oncoming traffic and blocks me and I hit him..

Thankfully I'm not hurt and I stayed on the bike during the whole crash. But my crotch hit the tank of the bike, but that's about it no serious pain. I'll post pictures later. But what I'm told by a witness working at a hotel, he said the driver is at fault due to they should yield to all oncoming traffic. And I should get a new bike outta this. But I'm not completely sure, it was not a stop sign. I think likely this guy just pulled in front of a bunch of cars and forced all the cars to stop and I hit him because no car on Sunset blvd in LA would stop for some guy to make a left turn.

But whatever I filed a claim and I have the guys insurance. Gonna have to sort this shit out but hate that now I have to commute by car to work. Gonna suck so much.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Nope, I wont make fun of accidents. Sorry you had to learn it the hard way.
Ya it sucks, all I'm pissed about is a broken bike, but I have no idea how it would be if I was hurt too.

But I think having that fairing of the Ninja 650 took most of the impact so I'm glad I chose this bike to at least protect me from injury.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I was told by others that anyone who makes a left turn must yield for oncoming traffic. Well the guy is going to think because two cars stopped for him he had the right of way and assumed I should stop as well if he saw me.

I'll have to talk to insurance, but I have one witness who gave me his number and will vouch for me if needed. He believed the left turning car should have yield, even if two other cars let him go. It was rush hour so I guess that's why they let him go because it was packed to not block the intersection.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
So he crashed, "hard enough" to total the bike but not "hard enough" to get off the bike in the process?

LOL! Seriously, that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
It doesn't take much plastic damage to be a writeoff on a couple year old bike. Especially if everything on the front end took a hit, that could be 4-5 different fairing pieces, the headlight, etc.

Also he's probably calling it totaled without having taken it to a shop, just looking at it.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
That sucks :( bikes are replaceable. I'm glad you're ok. I would never wish harm to someone

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
First, sucks to crash. Bike may not be totaled if you kept it up and the front rim isn't bent. You don't have that many miles and if all it needs is some forks and some plastic, you'll likely be getting a repair bill.

Second, you're probably at fault. Lane splitting doesn't have the right of way regardless of if he turned left or not. You weren't paying attention, and it bit you in the ass. If you had been in the actual lane, you might have a fighting chance for at fault of the driver, but probably not. Both times I got hit lane splitting (last one I wasn't splitting), they were at fault because they jumped lanes without looking. First one I was actually in the lane and I had a bike behind me as a witness, second time they jumped the double yellow into me and pushed me into traffic.

Third, how many fucking times have we told you that you don't have the right of way because you're on a motorcycle? You've posted numerous times about going around cars on the right, practically being on the sidewalks, and crossing double yellows (which resulted in a ticket) to go around people. You probably haven't learned a lesson and you're lucky it wasn't worse than it was. I slammed my crotch into my gas tank and I broke my pelvis and fractured my hip, that shit is no joke and you need to quit acting like you're somebody because you're on a bike. You're not.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
I'm not an fan of the lane splitting. too many dipshits have a DL for me to trust them not to merge into me. I'd rather stay as far away as I can.
I'd rather ride down the shoulder of the road.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
So my bike hit a car today and the front is totally messed up. So ya whatever I guess you guys are happy to know I got into my first accident and I totally deserve it. So ya find all the memes you need and roast me all you want.

But on a serious note, I had right of way, I was lane splitting through stopped cars and this guy makes a left turn on me into my right of way. I was on the main road going straight and this guy makes left turn into oncoming traffic and blocks me and I hit him..

Thankfully I'm not hurt and I stayed on the bike during the whole crash. But my crotch hit the tank of the bike, but that's about it no serious pain. I'll post pictures later. But what I'm told by a witness working at a hotel, he said the driver is at fault due to they should yield to all oncoming traffic. And I should get a new bike outta this. But I'm not completely sure, it was not a stop sign. I think likely this guy just pulled in front of a bunch of cars and forced all the cars to stop and I hit him because no car on Sunset blvd in LA would stop for some guy to make a left turn.

But whatever I filed a claim and I have the guys insurance. Gonna have to sort this shit out but hate that now I have to commute by car to work. Gonna suck so much.
Never assume you have right of way because as you now know left turning vehicles cause the majority of motorcycle crashes.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts