Sport Bikes banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i read through the used bike evaluation guide (most of it anyway) and was wondering whats the usual procedure for having a bike inspected by a third party.

is it done at a dealership?
could it be done professionally somewhere else?
how long does it take?
what all does it typically include?
how much are they?
if the bike is only a year old, is it still worth having it inspected?
what should i expect from an inspection?

thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't pay for someone to look over a bike. As long as you have some general knowledge, I don't believe there is a reason to pay for something you can do in just a few minutes. Check all of the body panels for any discoloration, mis-alignment, sticker placement off, etc. Check the chain and sprockets and see how they look. Nothing says neglected bike like a rusty/super greasy, dirty chain. Look underneath the rear hugger for little black bits (burn outs). Check the oil level, and see if it's low or dirty. Being only a year old, unless some tool owned it, I'm sure it'll be fine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was getting it inspected before buying. not sure if TN has laws for it.

yeah, i kinda figured an inspection would be almost pointless on a bike thats only a year old. the only thing is that i dont have ANY 'general knowledge.' i would have no idea if something was misaligned or discolored even if it were staring me in the face.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Like otto man said.. its really common sense..if you feel you cant make a rash decision, take someone with you that has more common knowledge of bikes, and that way you also learn what to look for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts