Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 R6 and I just spent $400 to have the carbs cleaned and re-jetted. I got the bike back and the idle would stick a little bit around the 2000 mark then drop after about 15seconds to the 1400 mark. After the bike sat at an idle for a few minutes, the idle would drop to the 1000rpm range and eventually die out. I noticed the bike could be idleing at 1400rpm sitting straight up, but then when u put it on the kickstand, the idle drops and dies out. ANY SUGGESTIONS or has anyone had this problem in the past.

Chris

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
IT is supposed to die once you put the kickstand down if it is not in nuetrul.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
is this when you start it on choke, or after it's already warm?

once warm the idle shouldn't vary at all. and 2000 is way too high to begin with. Check your manual, but it should probably be around 1200. dead stable 1200.

methinks whoever did your carbs screwed up. If the sticking is AFTER you rev it, then either there's an air leak (easy to check for) or the idle mixture screws are really wrong.

·
Turbine Mechanic
56 Posts
Had a XR-650 do the same thing. Found that the float would stick if it was on the kickstand or if I leaned the bike to the left or right for more than 15 seconds.

·
Registered
412 Posts
wheelyhappy82 said:
I have a 2000 R6 and I just spent $400 to have the carbs cleaned and re-jetted. I got the bike back and the idle would stick a little bit around the 2000 mark then drop after about 15seconds to the 1400 mark. After the bike sat at an idle for a few minutes, the idle would drop to the 1000rpm range and eventually die out. I noticed the bike could be idleing at 1400rpm sitting straight up, but then when u put it on the kickstand, the idle drops and dies out. ANY SUGGESTIONS or has anyone had this problem in the past.

Chris

Sounds like a "Sunshine Job" Carbs don't need to be re-jetted when they're dirty they need to be cleaned. When cleaning carbs you can't always tell if you did a good job cleaning until you put it back together and try to run it.

1) Could still be dirty carbs.

2) the erratic idle thing sounds more like out of sync. which could also be carbs that weren't seated properly in the boots they feel all the way in but they are not. And/Or the slow (pilot) jets still blocked causing the bike to actually stall out. The pilot jet system is really difficult to clean.

a "Sunshine Job" is when the mechanic takes a short cut that sometimes works. If it does then great and no problems, but when it doesn't they loose even more time having to fix it right (which is what they should do) instead they give it back to you half fixed. The problem sounds carb related still so.........I would take it back or just find a better mechanic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what did you do to correct the problem? another question, did the idle not stabilize with the float sticking? (how do I unstick it)...basically mine will stick at like 2000rpm even when i come to a traffic light then it slowly drops down. It will drop to 1500rpm then when i think it finally stabilizes, it drops down to the 1100rpm mark and eventually dies out. ANY SUGGESTIONS.

·
Dirty Sanchez
1,180 Posts
an idle that is high when you let off the throttle, and then slowly returns to regular idle rpms is indicative of a lean condition... which can be caused by air leaks into the intake or carbs (as mentioned before) or incorrect jetting, or pilot screws improperly adjusted. your "mechanic" might've hosed you.
apor

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
apor said:
an idle that is high when you let off the throttle, and then slowly returns to regular idle rpms is indicative of a lean condition... which can be caused by air leaks into the intake or carbs (as mentioned before) or incorrect jetting, or pilot screws improperly adjusted. your "mechanic" might've hosed you.
apor

Yeah, it could also be your choke sticking as well, or the idle is set a bit too high. If you have an idle adjustment screw, i would play with it for a few minutes to see if it makes any difference.

And check or air gaps around the intake boots, as suggested above.... somtimes they are hard to get back on all the way, or can have holes worn in them.

Good luck man... carbs suck when they get dirty...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had a XR-650 do the same thing. Found that the float would stick if it was on the kickstand or if I leaned the bike to the left or right for more than 15 seconds.
How’d you diagnose this? Because my bikes doing something like this but can you just tilt the carb when you have it out and it’ll just stick?

·
Registered
40 Posts
How’d you diagnose this? Because my bikes doing something like this but can you just tilt the carb when you have it out and it’ll just stick?
You're asking a 15 y/o post. Who knows, maybe they're still around?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts