Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sup guys, i know this is my first thread and all but, im REALLY interested in getting a bike. the only problem is, that my parental figure(mom) is totally against it. but lately ive been keepin my buddies r6 here, and riding it around. so i was wonderin, whats a good way to convince her, lol to allow me to get one? also, which bike...zx6, or 600rr? :cheers

·
Registered
674 Posts
I honestly don't think your going to convince her of anything, my mother was dead set against me getting one, she still gets upset when I tell her I'm going riding Saturday night.

Oh and I like the 600rr as a first bike but that's is a completely biased opinion b/c I don't know anythng about the zx6 :cool:

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
a 600 supersport bike is NOT a good beginer bike just about anything just from 99 and up for the r6, cbr600 (f4/f4i/600rr), zx6r, or gsxr6000..

if you really think you need a 600 to start on, get an f2/f3, katana 600, or an old ninja 600 to start on.

get something that's been down already. that way when you drop it (and you will), you wont care so much about the scratches since the new ones might blend in well with the old ones.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
well, that's what will be your first bike, NEITHER!!... start with a EX500 or something of the sort. I couldnt convince my Mom when I wanted one WAYYYYYYYY back in the day. I just bought one and came home with it. I'm not telling you to do that, but thats what I did. man, I miss that 88' Hurricane. :a2 Also, tell your Mom that you have signed up for the MSF course, it might make her feel a little better that you're responisible enough to learn how to ride safetly.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
im with japbike. my mom was dead set against it, i went and bought one and came home. she got over it(although she doesnt like it) but she does worry bout me.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
But guys he's been riding his buddy's R6 and he can handle the power no problem :spank :lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nig said:
But guys he's been riding his buddy's R6 and he can handle the power no problem :spank :lol
first off, i never said i could handle the power. i respect the bike, i know that if i dont, it will kick my ass. second, i just dont like all the other bikes...ex500,f2,f3, etc. id like something fuel injected, and something that doesnt weigh a ton. sorry if i sound squiddish

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Why do you want fuel injection? Is it really that important to you?

You aren't supposed to get your "dream bike" as your first bike, you are supposed to get something used, cheap, a little older, that you can drop once or twice and then sell it for the same amount you bought it for, and move up. You will become a better rider for doing it that way, the right way.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Isn't fuel injection supposed to help throttle response? Why doesn't it? :lol

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Do as what has already been suggested and preached in so many threads before. Just lurk in the New Riders section for a little bit and see the stories of n00bs past. I would personally suggest a Honda CBR600 F2. It's what I started on. I'm not saying that everyone can start out on this, because not everyone has the same mind/learn capablity/reflexes. Everyone is different. I just know what worked for me. But the best route to go would be an older 250 or 500.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The GSXR1000 is fuel injected, get that one.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Twinsen said:
Do as what has already been suggested and preached in so many threads before. Just lurk in the New Riders section for a little bit and see the stories of n00bs past. I would personally suggest a Honda CBR600 F2. It's what I started on. I'm not saying that everyone can start out on this, because not everyone has the same mind/learn capablity/reflexes. Everyone is different. I just know what worked for me. But the best route to go would be an older 250 or 500.
I'm with the f2. great bike eazy to ride,,, forgiving in bad situations,,,, good power not to much just right...

two other things to think about gear and msf course.

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
well since i am sure that you aren't going to listen to everyone, i would go with the R6, i have an 01 and i love it. it is similar to the ZX-6 i think, but i like it a little better. i hate the digital tach on the ninja's. however, my R6 wasn't my first bike. i started on a 1982 Yamaha Maxim (trust me the ladies don't care what kind of bike you have, they still will want a ride)

when you say you want to convince her, do you mean convince her to buy it for you? or just allow you to ride. if she is against it, you have no chance of getting her to buy it. if its just riding, buy some gear show her you want to be safe, and wear it EVERY time you ride. show responsibilty, she is most likely scared of you hurting yourself. and she is scared with good reason. the way i got to ride was my dad rode, so my mom couldn't really say no. good luck, and be safe

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
thats kinda funny! my dad has been ridin for 20+ years and knew what id do on it and was against it 100%. on the other hand my mom loves the looks of a rocket(yes, once again i said rocket!)and was the one to convince my dad to get it! now after what happened this summer, my mom wants to sell it but my dad is the one that decided to keep it!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I guess I'll go against the grain here and say that if your mom says no, don't do it. If she's anything like my mom, she's sacrificed a lot for you. All you have to do is get out of her house before you purchase a bike. Don't get me wrong, if she changes her mind and decides to allow it, by all means, do what you want, but don't reward her for being a good mother by going against her will and hurting yourself.

By the way, the "bike" section on your profile is for the bikes you OWN, not the bike you want, so if you don't own an 04 ZX-6R, take it out of that space.

·
Registered
136 Posts
freeride said:
By the way, the "bike" section on your profile is for the bikes you OWN, not the bike you want, so if you don't own an 04 ZX-6R, take it out of that space.

Oh, come on, he is aloud to pretend....

On choosing a 600 you have to pic on which one is more comfortable and which one you like more. I promise you will not notice a difference between the two. 600's no a days are so close. To me they are both not as comfortable as an older 600's, but get what will make you happy.....

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Wow, I'm lucky. When I told my mother that I was going to buy a bike, the response was: "Why didn't you get one when you were living here? I'd have helped you finance it!"

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
If you're dead set on getting a 600 for that 1st bike, I'd suggest calling your insurance company and asking them for a quote and a little advice...I'm guessing since your mom is against the bike thing, she probably won't be paying for your insurance...

·
Registered
681 Posts
a) your buddy is an idiot for letting a non-licensed rider ride his bike.
b) it's not to bright on your part to be doing so either.
c) if your mom doesn't want you to have one, and you're still living at home for free....don't get one, seeing as how you aren't showing to many brain cells regarding the 2nd point and wanting a 600ss as a beginner.
d) check the insurance....they will decide on what you could afford.....I'm positive it won't be a 600SS.
e) your first post should've involved asking about how to obtain a spot in a MSF course, not convincing your mommy to let you make a decision a 20 yr old should be able to make on his own.

·
Registered
268 Posts
freeride said:
I guess I'll go against the grain here and say that if your mom says no, don't do it. If she's anything like my mom, she's sacrificed a lot for you. All you have to do is get out of her house before you purchase a bike. Don't get me wrong, if she changes her mind and decides to allow it, by all means, do what you want, but don't reward her for being a good mother by going against her will and hurting yourself.
Amen Freeride. If your mother is against it, deal with it or move out. Go ahead and take the MSF, leave bike magazines around the house, talk about them all the time, etc. But go out and buy one and bring it home and you've lost all respect from your parents, and next time you need a favor they *should* turn their backs. Good luck, I won't comment on what bike you should get, but I love my EX500.

Nick

1 - 20 of 22 Posts