Sport Bikes banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I left my 2009 Suzuki GSXR600 at my grandparents over the winter since they had extra space in their unheated, but covered garage. The understanding was that my grandpa would just start it up once every few weeks. Unfortunately, I just found out he hasn't touched it, he doesn't want me riding it anyway. I am going up next week to take it to a shop to have it looked over and have all the fluids changed to make sure nothing got messed up sitting so long. So as a quick question:

My bike had been sitting since September with a 1/4 tank of fuel, now almost a year old oil, and all other fluids in temperatures ranging from 10 degrees to 70 degrees. Before I start it up, is there anything I need to check (outside of the battery) to make sure it runs as smoothly as possible for the 4 miles to the shop?

I have read that if if starts when the battery is good, it should be fine to get it to a shop. But the last thing I want to do is ruin a beautiful bike with 3,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
The gas is probably trash by now, if you can drain it do that. But if not just fill the tank up with fresh from the pump premium fuel from a gas can and some fuel injector cleaner that should help dilute the crap fuel. Change the oil and filter and I think you should be good to go. That's all I can think of anyway.

Regardless you won't ruin it, vehicles have sat for much longer before and been OK. Hell my bike sat on a dealer floor for 9 months before I bought it and it's fine.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Do you think the current oil is still clean enough to run long enough to get to the shop, or should I run it to warmth and do it myself (something I would really rather not do myself without a stand)? The temperature mixed with the time is what worries me.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
The oil is probably shit, but 4 miles really won't hurt anything. It's probably full synthetic anyway which shouldn't be as bad as Dino oil. You probably need to run it at least that much to get it warm enough to drain it out anyway. Next time change your oil before you put it away, then change it again before you start using it again.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
your fuel is probably gone, but for the rest.

Just start your bike and let it idle untill it warms up, that way the bike will get a chance to pump oil threw itself.

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
get as much fuel out as possible, fill it up with fresh. while not ideal, the oil will be OK, but change it soon. everything else is fine.

randomly starting a bike during the winter can actually do more harm then good.

·
Registered
848 Posts
if you put it away with fresh oil, I wouldn't worry about oil until you've ran it a bit (like to the shop and back) to at least operating temperature. Heck, My bike I bought new last Oct and they had that bike since 2012 (don't know exactly what month).

gas? change it before firing it up. especially if it has ethanol crap.

all other fluids, just keep an eye on em and change them when time and money permit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts