Sport Bikes banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Pics will be coming soon - picking it up tomorrow afternoon!

Looks like Lindemann did pass away, judging by their website "about us" section:
About Lindemann Engineering |
but it looks like the business is still operating.

-Ryan
That's good to hear. I didn't know of there was anyone who could take over running the business. I know their staff is supposed to be excellent.

Again, congrats on the bike!!!!

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
I'll post this in here because Tony, Pete, and Jeff have already posted.

I'm looking to do my 1st track day this year. My plan is to take the RSV-R. From what I understand track days are NOT racing and in fact aggressive "racing" type behavior is frowned upon. From the people that I talked to that have done a few track days, the aprilia is more then fine for a track day. I can ride at speed. Some of you know me and those comments in my signature aren't made up, ;) so I'm not worried about keeping up. I want to try it out and see what it's all about. I really am not looking to buy another bike to ride at 1 or 2 track days a year. Any flaws in this line of thinking?

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
I'll post this in here because Tony, Pete, and Jeff have already posted.

I'm looking to do my 1st track day this year. My plan is to take the RSV-R. From what I understand track days are NOT racing and in fact aggressive "racing" type behavior is frowned upon. From the people that I talked to that have done a few track days, the aprilia is more then fine for a track day. I can ride at speed. Some of you know me and those comments in my signature aren't made up, ;) so I'm not worried about keeping up. I want to try it out and see what it's all about. I really am not looking to buy another bike to ride at 1 or 2 track days a year. Any flaws in this line of thinking?
No. Bikes I've brought to (or ridden friend's bikes at) trackdays:

K1200RS
ZX-14
CBR600F4
Sprint 955
Speed Triple 955
S1000RR
Buell 1125CR
Buell 1125R
Buell XB-whatever
R1200S
R1200GS
Husky Supermoto something or other
VFR800
GSX-R1000

Some event organizers won't allow full-on cruisers because of limited ground clearance, that's about it.

The only thing I would strongly recommend apart from the track prep is that you have at least a baseline preload suspension setting done on your bike (can typically be done by a vendor there for $20-ish). The reason I say that is that if you are bottoming the front end Bad Things Can Happen.

KeS

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Thanks Kevin.

I had the suspension professionally set up last year. What a difference that made. :)

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
What Kevin said, except, I would consider safety wiring your drain plug as well. It might be worth buying a pre-drilled one of it's like the plug that was on my Ducati (used a 6mm Allen).

There's no spin-on filter with the RSV, just the element, right? If I'm wrong, I would hose clamp and wire the filter as well.

If my memory isn't shot (well, any more shot), I think they come with Silkolene anti-freeze which I think is legal with most clubs (check NESBA).

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
What Kevin said, except, I would consider safety wiring your drain plug as well. It might be worth buying a pre-drilled one of it's like the plug that was on my Ducati (used a 6mm Allen).

There's no spin-on filter with the RSV, just the element, right? If I'm wrong, I would hose clamp and wire the filter as well.

If my memory isn't shot (well, any more shot), I think they come with Silkolene anti-freeze which I think is legal with most clubs (check NESBA).
She was a track bike when I bought her so it had everything already safety wired which has been removed over time. The filter is internal. I read the pre-track section on Tony's Track Days site and it said just ensure the bolt is tightened to spec.

It had water wetter when I got it. It has Maxima Coolenol in it now for coolant.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Pics as promised. Quality is shittay but I just got home with it and iPhone doesn't do well in low light. You get the idea though.

·
5,366 Posts
Sweet! Does it do wheelies? Wait no I always get in trouble for that

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everybody,

I was looking at this forum for inspiration, and I bumped into this old thread. Lots of different ideas here guys, thanks!

Still, here's my dilemma.

Well, I'm looking for a sort of beginner-non-beginner bike. I am a currently riding a Honda NX650 Dominator, a bike I'm very fond of and that I intend to keep. In town it behaves like a scooter, outside town it can take me everywhere.

But I'd also like to have something completely different as a second bike: a sportbike for canyons, twisty roads and possibly a couple of track days.
So I'm looking at sportbikes with 60-80 hp output. I don't care about the type of engine. Being used to a big, nervous mono, I do not fear a twin. And having taken my licence on a Kawa ZR-7, a fairly heavy bike with a grunty I4, I don't panic when I see a four-cylinder. What I know is that I don't need more than I can handle, I do not need a newer racing replica. But I'd like something that handles well, and has a tight feeling on the road. Something fun, and not too costly. As much as I can love my Honda, it's still a bit too bouncy on tarmac - and I wouldn't definitely take it to a track.
Cost needs to be low as well, not exceeding 3500$, so nothing really new. And I kind of like the funky look of old bikes from the nineties and the early '00s.

I've seen a Yamaha TRX850 (half faired, TDM engine, 80hp), and I liked it. Its problem is that it is as rare as it gets, and that could be a setback if I need parts. I am also fond of the Yamaha SRX600 and SZR660 (classic looks, XT engine, 45hp), but I don't think I should get a second mono. My friends are split. Two say "go get an SV650", but I'm a bit cold on it. I saw a 2.gen (didn’t try it though, it was not insured) and I found it lacking personality, and it has the opposite problem of the TRiXi: it’s just very common and average. And there are not many 2. and 3. generation for sale currently, just funky 1.generation bikes. I reckon it is an amazing ride, but it just didn’t click on me. Another friend says "go get a VFR750", but I fear it'd be too heavy and bulky for my use. In the next days I’ll go check on a 1993 CBR 600 f2, an all-stock bike with a big advantage: it ticks all the boxes, it’s cheap, and is registered as a historic vehicle, meaning that insurance costs are about 200$ /year, whereas the others fare well above 600.
Finally, I live in Italy, the reign of Ducatis. I could easily pick up a 748 (still THE most charming bike around, imho, so heart says go!go!go!) in good condition for 3000€ (3500$), but I'm afraid of running and insurance costs and its harsh power delivery. A Monster? Well, I wouldn't recognize mine in the parking lot, as many as there are here in town.

Any good idea on a cheap, fun, not too powerful sportbike with personality, one that can be thrown into twisty roads and track days? TRX? SV? CBR f2?

Thank you a lot for your advice!
Raffaele

41 - 50 of 50 Posts