Sport Bikes banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've had my GS500F for a little over a month now, and I'm becoming more sensitive to its specific feel. I've noticed for a while that the bike feels very labored when in Neutral (or when coasting with the clutch in).

Even after a fresh chain cleaning and lubing session, with the bike on a center stand, I can only get just over 1 revolution out of manually spinning the back wheel. I've noticed on other peoples' bikes, their rear wheel spins freely like the Price is Right, so something seems wrong.

Also, when moving the bike, it sounds to me like my front brakes are dragging on the rotors. There is definitely a sound of rotation and contact with something somewhere.

I thought my brakes might be clamped down too tight, so it was suggested to me to try to slide a piece of paper between the rotor and brake pads. If the paper went in, I was told, then the brakes were where they should be. The paper went in just fine between all contact points.

I'm not sure what's going on, but this is really nagging me.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much!!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Clutch cable may be in need of adjustment or if its hydralic a flush and bleed. You may also of overtightened your chain which is a really bad thing if you are not sure might be worth getting a profesional to look at it. I use with me sitting on the bike off the stands the chain should have between 10-20mm play half way between the sprockets. Works across all road bikes no matter how dodgy the manufacturers instructions are.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Clutch adjustment shouldn't matter in neutral. How old is the chain/sprockets? Remove the chain from the rear wheel and then spin it. Wheel bearings or chain tension/age are the most likely problems. You might also want to remove the rear caliper and make sure it's not rear brake drag.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi again all,

Thanks for the responses. This bike was originally purchased from the dealer 10 months ago. It is a 2007 with just over 2900 miles.

I took it to a mechanic, and he said everything is just fine. If anything, my chain is slightly loose. But, all else is perfect.

I guess it was just my perception that was off.

:dunno

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
If you can push it around and don't feel any resistance, everything is fine. Bike brakes always drag a little you can hear, but shouldn't feel.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Hi again all,

Thanks for the responses. This bike was originally purchased from the dealer 10 months ago. It is a 2007 with just over 2900 miles.

I took it to a mechanic, and he said everything is just fine. If anything, my chain is slightly loose. But, all else is perfect.

I guess it was just my perception that was off.

:dunno
At least you're paying attention to it, not the " I heard a big clunk bang and lost drive I had a look and my chain is missing and there is a oil leak from the motor. I had it serviced 12 months ago and have only done 15000miles since the prick must of never adjusted the chain I'm going to sue him! "

1 - 7 of 7 Posts