Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It will rev without a load to redline no problem, but going down the road at 5000 in drips to 0 (essentially does) and then comes back won’t do it under 5000 and you can hold the clutch in and hold it at 7000 or redline it and it doesn’t die. Only under a load. Please help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 2006 gsxr 1000. It was doing it prior to, but I recently put a clutch in it and changed the oil. But as I say, it did it prior to and got has gotten worse.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ok, so EFI. The main thing that comes to mind is the Throttle Position Sensor. Sometimes they develop dead spots. There are a host of other possibilities though. Under load it could be coils or fuel, but fuel seems less likely since it will rev when it's not under load. Plug wires shorting out can cause this under load, as can a bad coil.

Have you balanced the Throttle Bodies recently?

Have you checked the Diagnostic system for any stored codes?

If you can, manually rotate the TPS from stop to stop a dozen times and take it for a ride. This is a poor man's method for cleaning any crud off the sensor plate. You sometimes see build up or a worn spot on the TPS on commuter/touring bikes that spend more time at a steady rpm, but it's possible on any bike. Your's is 14 years old, so who knows?

If you have the shop manual you should be able to get into diagnostics and run the test for the TPS. I don't know the Suzuki process, but on my Yamaha bikes it would show the read out digitally as you moved the throttle and it would be obvious where/if there was a dead spot or worn spot when the number value would drop off repeatably in one spot in the range. Some allow 're-calibration' as well. I've seen that help for a while.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a million pal. I am going to try to get to it this weekend. I’ll keep you posted. Appreciate you greatly. God bless and have a good one.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Post back what you find. If you can do the diagnostic test for the TPS, it should show a smoking gun spot if there is a bad spot. Perhaps someone put it online on one the the Gixxer forums?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts