Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just because this is my second post doesnt mean i joined this forum jsut for this problem. :) Anyways this little incident happened to me for the first time about 30 mins ago. I am driving along about 1.5 miles from my house and my bike just cuts out (1993 gsxr600w) for no reason. I pulled over checked that i didnt bump the kickstand or accidently flip the kill switch (i didnt do either). Oh b4 i forget, i was riding about 1.5 hrs [ago]and when i got home it sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders at low rpms and then at high it would sound normal...so anyways i pull off to the side of the road and turn it over, nothing happens, turn it over with gas, nothing....my temp gauge looks fine (but i have noticed that i have never seen the fan go on, and i live in az and i rode in 108 degree heat today) so anyways i wait about 10 minutes and it turns and starts but it sounds like it is only running on 2 cylinders, if i give it gas then it cuts out and dies. So i start it again and i get it started but i have to very gradually twist the throttle to about 4k rpm just to get it to stay running , then i haul back to my house when i slow down and press the clutch in it died again, i had to walk it uphill to my house about 50ft...oh and yeah its not the idle screw cuz i adjusted that yesterday...any suggestions? Btw i am very mechanically inclined, when it comes to cars....i can fix a blown head gasket on a dohc turbo but when it comes to bikes i dont even know where to start, damned carburation and not fuel in jection :) so far im thinking maybe thermostat? the oil looked good...
alright guys thats my story.. any suggestions would be great!
Thanks
NIck

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
A friend of mine had this problem on a 94 CBR 900,turns out he had rust in the tank and it was clogging the lines.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I was going to say almost the same thing. I was thinking you have a clogged fuel filter. Hopefully you do have an inline fuel filter, if not, then your carbs might need cleaned.

check for loose electrical connections, especially the battery terminals.

I always check the easy things first.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i checked the air filter today and it didnt look good... the paper was rock hard(i assume from water hitting it and then drying) it was also full of dir dust. i tried to see the sun through it and nothing, i couldnt see any light...do you guys think this is why it did what it did? also a new air filter was 25 bux, is that the norm?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
You've prolly got shit stuck in the carbs from the filthy air cleaner. Just a thought, but run it for a while, if it will run anyway, with a clean filter. Empty out your tank, and clean it. Change your fuel filter, if it has one. Mine doesn't have one. Run it, and take it easy. See what happens. I had the same problem. My f2 sounded like a ducati one day because it was only running on two or three cylinders. I was far from home so I HAD to make it home. By the time I got about a mile and a half from my house, the problem cleared up and it has been running great ever since. I chalked it up as a clogged jet in my carb or something along those lines. Let us know what happens.

·
second chimp in space
3,344 Posts
You can speed up adamf2's method: put some carb cleaner in the gas. Put in a lot. Ride a bit, and when it sits for the night the cleaner will help to loosen up some grime in the carbs, and it might clear out easier. Don't put in more than 3 or 4 times as much as they recommend, because it might start acting like it's lean (cleaner isn't as good a fuel as gas). Might as well try the easy fix first... Clean the carbs if it doesn't help.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well replaced the air filter and tried the carb cleaner(without taking the carbs off) i just sprayed it in there whilst the bike was running , i also put a ton of b12 fuel injector cleaner in my gas and ran it for a while. Still the same probem. Starts and runs but at idle it runs very rough like only 2 or 3 cylinders are firing, at high rpms it seems fine.... Do you guys think the carbs need zynchronizing or the valves need to be agjusted? or blown headgasket?

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
If you rust in there,no amount of additives is going to fix it.

Take it to someone who knows about bikes and have them listen to it run.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i dont know what the hell is going on, it runs GREAT now. i think that b12 did finally work. thanks for the help guys. back to riding! :) oh yeah i also figured out which way is "on" on the fuel petcock, maybe that was the reason, hey its a new bike to me.... :chair

1 - 10 of 10 Posts