Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is a 01 F4i sitting outside of a local body shop. Its been there since March, but he was originally asking 5500.

10k miles, but it has been down! Scratched like a mofo, cracked windscreen, but has an aftermarket exhaust (brand unknown). He bought it as a salvage too i think, put 100 miles on it, and now owes people money, let's just leave it at that ;)

I offered $3500, he said $4000. I again said $3700 and he twinged. I know if i showed up there again with 3700 in cash he would take it. Does that seem too high even? Im curious to see what he bought it for. An insider told me he got it mad cheap, but i think the kid's dad is the one selling it, therefore not budging too much on price.

Whatcha think?

Edit-
Oh yeah, it has new tires on it too, and the engine sounds nice as far as i can tell (no expert though).

And what happened to SBN? I havent been around for awhile and now they erased my name?....jeez i feel unwanted :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
01 is fairly new....the one thing you don't and may never know about a used bike with scratches on it is what they bike went thru to get those scratches....it could be all just superficial but it also may be alot of internal damage. Sounds like the guy got it, put 100 miles on it and found something majorly wrong and just wants to get rid of it. Test ride it thoroughly. RIde it hard as hell and make sure there is nothing else going on there.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I wouldn't touch it. Full Retail Value for a 01' CBR 600 F4i is listed as 5375 according to NADA. This is for a reconditioned, clean, undamaged, ready-to-sell bike.

You're not telling us what all is scratched, but by "mofo" I'm guessing lower fairing, engine cases, rear fairing, indicators, pegs (front and rear), bar ends, lever, etc. You already mentioned a cracked windshield. Could need subtle frame tweaking, too - very hard to tell. It's gonna eat up a lotta dough getting this bike back to "clean, reconditioned, undamaged" condition. Is servicing up to date? How's the chain, brake pads, sprockets, etc.? A salvage title might also be an issue....

Bottom line, you're only saving 1400-1700 under retail on this bike, and it doesn't sound worth it to me. A good price does not always mean good deal. Walk away.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Go over there take some pictures, post em here and let everyone look at em. Once everyone here has given their assessment go back over there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If your not mechanically inclined then I wouldn't touch it. Did he start the bike for you so you could hear the engine? If he started it was there any noises coming from the bike that shouldn't have been. I would also ask for a test ride, sometimes you can't tell if anything is bent by looking at it. The forks come to mind

·
Registered
681 Posts
3700 and a salvage title? RUN, don't walk away.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
taziscool said:
3700 and a salvage title? RUN, don't walk away.

^^^^^^^^^^^ so agree......you can get new bikes for $8,900.00 or ALOT cheaper....go some place else.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys are saying run away, but if no one wants to buy it and he really needs money, dont you think i might be able to deal a little? What would be a fair price for that bike?

Yes, it started right up and there were no weird engine noises. Of course, i only revved it to about 6k so i dont know if it has any problems. I would want to ride the bike before i bought it because i did think that something could be wrong.

Sorry, the bike isnt in Seattle so you would have a hard time getting to it. I could take a couple pics tomorrow and you guys can tell what is wrong. But yes, it is scratched/rashed from head to toe.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What if i dont plan on fixing it though? I could leave it, right? I guess it would look fugly, but i would get it cheaper....

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I wouldn't pay more than $3000 for it. If you repair it you would be looking for $1000-$1500 in repairs and then there is the salvage title that lowers the resale value.
Lets say that you repair the bike and spend $1500 in the process, you aren't going to get $4500 for it if you were selling it, more like $4000. Why would anyone want to buy it, repaired, for $4500 if you can get one with a clean title for $5000?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Check w/ the local DMV about getting a clean title for it....what that all involves.......you may have to jump through MANY hoops to make it road worthy in their eyes, thus making it really a PITA!

HELL, for $3700, you can get a clean titled, never dropped/crashed/broken bike any day of the week...why bother w/ that POS?

BTW, I remember your handle....first bike?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Taz-
Yup, ive been here for a while, but no it is not a first bike. I would never hear the end of that :D

The only reason i am stuck on this bike is because it is hard to find a sportbike in my area (small town), and the price is way low (even tho it may be messed up). Now, sure i can get a clean one for $5000, but that means i need another $1500 in my pocket just to be safe. I guess that is why i was interested if all that was wrong with it was the scratches.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
you dont know if it was scratched cause the kickstand sliped or cause the bike went down doin 160 mph, and you'll probaly have to get new pegs and if its scratched from head to toe then it was probably downed doin high speeds and that probably means the the forks or somthing major was damaged or bent

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
Check out www.damagedbikes.com to get comparable damaged bike prices. There may be other, similar, sites that folks on this board might know about as well.

·
El A MC Rider
336 Posts
Is there a Honda dealer near your location that you and the guy can take the bike to? For about $50, a mechanic can take the fairings off and really tell you what's up: if the forks are bent in the triple trees, wires hanging where they shouldn't, rotors are bent (brakes skipping), if there's anything significantly wrong with the engine/exhaust, and how much it would cost to fix.

The aesthetics (plastics) can be had from e-bay or a local salvage shop for cheaper than retail.

Based on what the Honda mechanic said, I'd subtract what it would cost to repair from the asking price. You guys can haggle until you come to an agreement if you're set on getting the bike.

·
Registered
519 Posts
how about we look at the post date and quit replying to a 2 month old post

1 - 20 of 20 Posts