Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,
I'm Ken and I'm getting ready to make the jump into the street bike whelm...

I'm currently looking at two bikes and would love some feed back (positive or not) toward the bikes, me or my experience; all is welcome. I've been riding my friends '06 gsxr 750 around town and side roads for some time now -still packing the permit. But it was just recently, I got into some funds so I could join this great community (I've been into dirt bikes and quads for over 10 years, but street bike riding, maybe 4-5 months).

Needless to say, I still have a lot of 'riding techniques' to learn, so you'll never hear me talk about how awesome of a rider I am; it wont happen! Even on my buddies bike I never went above my own limits on his bike (anything above 10kish) - because I'm not ready. But here are the bikes...

Mind you Im 5'11" 235lbs

'09 Kawi -monster edition with 10k miles, newer tires (under 1k), but totally stock! Was dropped recently so I would need to get a left side plastics. Frame wasn't affected by the < 10 mph drop and its pretty for $4300 **slipper clutch and stock steering damper**

or

'05 GSXR 600, almost spotless, 8.5k miles, new rear tire, new sprocket, chain, brakes. Has exhaust, intake etc. Looks great. He want $4000 obo **stock steering damper**

My mind says the 09 has the value behind it, while the 05 has the cheaper (newer rider cost)... I cant decide... maybe someone else can haha. But I need reasons please.

Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Personally, and I think most here will agree, I don't think you should get either bike. Both of those bikes weigh around 450ish pounds and make over 100 horsepower at the rear wheel. Their power delivery is harsh, and their brakes are incredibly powerful. Their handling characteristics are very twitchy. All of these are great things when you have the necessary experience to utilize them, but as a new street bike rider they will get you into trouble.

I don't say that because I think you're stupid or anything. Even if you ride super carefully, eventually you will make a mistake, due to lack of experience and maybe some kind of panic situation or lack of attention. Those bikes are very unforgiving of small mistakes, the bike will most likely get out of your control and you'll and up on the ground. Most one bike crashes don't happen on the gas, they happen in turns and on the brakes.

What you should be looking for is something like a 500 or 650 twin like a Ninja 500/650 Suzuki SV650, Or one of the new Honda 500s. They look and feel like big bikes and they make plenty of power, but they have a much more predictable power curve, handle easier, and have less aggressive brakes. These bikes will be much easier for you to handle at your skill level, and when you make a mistake, they won't kick your ass.

Most importantly these bikes will help you build your skills. You can get the Super Sport in a couple years if you still want one, they're not going anywhere. And then you won't have to fear it while you're riding it, because you'll have the skills to control it. Riding a bike is supposed to be fun, not a walking on eggshells experience.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks, I'll take this into consideration.
You should do more than consider it. You can get a 0 mileage 2012/2013 Ninja 650 for ~5500 if you look hard enough. The 300s are brand new in the 4000$ range. Not sure how much the brand new 500s are. I know they make sport bars to make the 650 more aggressive, but overall it's going to be a better bike then say a 90s SS bike(had both). And that's power, speed, cornering, braking, etc.

I've been riding for a quite a while and have logged tens of thousands of miles(wish i could say hundreds), and I've especially ridden your area a lot. There is a lot of fun to be had in the york/lancaster/lebanon area, but you can definitely get hurt. Even some very experienced riders have gone down in the area, and some have become a statistic.

You, being a new rider, should make an honest attempt to dial it down a bit and work on skill, skill, skill. What the market tells you and what you perceive as an insanely more powerful and better handling bike is true....in the hands of a professional. If you actually gain the skills and knowledge you can take a much more "inferior" bike on the street(or the dragon) and make people look absolutely silly on their new 10,000$ sport bikes.

Horsepower does NOT make up for skill in the twisties. Ever. Plenty of people out there that ride 250s would make the people riding 500s/650s/600ss look absolutely terrible.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
As an experienced rider, out of those two, the ZX-6R will be the best by far. The GSX-R is down on power, old, and the suspension is not very good compared to the ZX-6R or a newer GSX-R. As a noob, well, your post has all the tellings of a special snowflake:

Hey all,
I'm Ken and I'm getting ready to make the jump into the street bike whelm...

I'm currently looking at two bikes and would love some feed back (positive or not) toward the bikes, me or my experience; all is welcome. I've been riding my friends '06 gsxr 750 around town and side roads for some time now -still packing the permit. But it was just recently, I got into some funds so I could join this great community (I've been into dirt bikes and quads for over 10 years, but street bike riding, maybe 4-5 months).
I has the experience!
I has rode street!
I has rode dirt!

I hope I'm wrong and you're not a special snowflake but just a misinformed new rider.

As you already have experience on the dirt and have pretty much figured the basics already, go for a SV650 or a Ninja 650, girls can't tell them apart but they are much better first bikes. A used SV650 or Ninja 650 won't depreciate as much so you will be able to sell it for almost the same money one year down the road.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Personally, and I think most here will agree, I don't think you should get either bike. Both of those bikes weigh around 450ish pounds and make over 100 horsepower at the rear wheel. Their power delivery is harsh, and their brakes are incredibly powerful. Their handling characteristics are very twitchy. All of these are great things when you have the necessary experience to utilize them, but as a new street bike rider they will get you into trouble.

I don't say that because I think you're stupid or anything. Even if you ride super carefully, eventually you will make a mistake, due to lack of experience and maybe some kind of panic situation or lack of attention. Those bikes are very unforgiving of small mistakes, the bike will most likely get out of your control and you'll and up on the ground. Most one bike crashes don't happen on the gas, they happen in turns and on the brakes.

What you should be looking for is something like a 500 or 650 twin like a Ninja 500/650 Suzuki SV650, Or one of the new Honda 500s. They look and feel like big bikes and they make plenty of power, but they have a much more predictable power curve, handle easier, and have less aggressive brakes. These bikes will be much easier for you to handle at your skill level, and when you make a mistake, they won't kick your ass.

Most importantly these bikes will help you build your skills. You can get the Super Sport in a couple years if you still want one, they're not going anywhere. And then you won't have to fear it while you're riding it, because you'll have the skills to control it. Riding a bike is supposed to be fun, not a walking on eggshells experience.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I'm writing a paper for school. It needs to be a persuasive paper so I'm doing it on why starting small is better. Those 3 things I put in bold are my 3 premises on why supersports make bad starter bikes. There are several other things you mention which I also mention.

Good job SBN. You taught me well.

Reactions: PhilB

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate everyone's input on this; I'll go and sit on some of those beginner bikes everyone suggests. I know their riding geometry is a lot more pleasurable while cruising. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ninja 250
Ninja 300
Ninja 650r
CBR250R
CBR500R
SV650
GSXF650
FZ6R

Those are the bikes you should look at, IMO. I started with an FZ6R, it's top heavy, but a pleasure and to ride. A little bit much for a beginner, but you've got at least a little bit of experience and should be able to manage the weight.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
guys, y'all just took the first new guy of the season, and got him seemingly convinced within 1 page to start small.

That's gotta be a high score.

·
Are we not men?
9,017 Posts
The bikes that the others are suggesting are a much better choice for your first (street) bike. Remember, it won't be your last. A lightly used example can be sold next year for nearly what you paid for it and then move up.

In the meantime, you will be learning much quicker what you need to know about street riding and what you like.

A lot of people will tell you that these bikes are too small and that you'll get bored. This is not true. All of these bikes will outrun a car to highly illegal speeds. Not as quickly as some b***** bikes but still quick enough to get you in the deep end of the trouble pool.

·
Are we not men?
9,017 Posts
guys, y'all just took the first new guy of the season, and got him seemingly convinced within 1 page to start small.

That's gotta be a high score.
Yup, this thread is not what I expected.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Greetings again.

I wanted to thank everyone's post thus far, and most of these comments I honestly gave thought to. I went out and rode a few bike within the last week; a buddies 80's CB550 (yeah... not that I was seriously about the bike, I just wanted to a different seating arrangement was like)... a Honda 250r, (really guys?? Okay, honestly this wasn't all that bad, just not all that peppy, and it seemed like it was screaming all the time, yet it actually was fun; but, it didn't have the grunt like the past bike I've previously rode). Nonetheless, it wasn't for me.

And the only other bike I could get my hand on for roughly 15-minutes was a sv-650. But I liked the looks of the frame rails; It FELT OPEN, I had all the room I could ever want, it had pick up and the steering was surprising effortless too. It seemed to have the same riding position as my friends CB550, but just all around better. Sadly though, I didn't get enough time to really ride the bike, its was still tame (but enough to have a good time). I have to admit that SV and my friends GSXR both felt great; different bikes nonetheless, but great bikes.

Well, after I shopped around for a few days, I sat on the GSXR (mentioned above) and it just felt right. The sound, feel, riding position, etc. just fit me well. I figure this was from the fact I rode a 750 for the past several months anyways so I have more experience... Either way, it was just a natural feeling. Although, I must add, the SV650 was a wonderful machine, if I has any inclination that the GSXR was too abrupt, I would have easily went to this bike.

But yeah, here's my bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Nice bike. I'm a fan of the silver and black. Be safe.

But if you're not safe, don't ball it up too bad... I might need spare parts for mine. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Seems we failed after all.
I wont say you or others failed. If it wasn't for this site, I would have never branched out and looked into other bikes. Unfortunately, I felt more comfortable (not so much seating arrangement, but bike ergonomics) on the GSXR.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Must be nice to find an RR comfortable. I can't even fathom it...then again maybe it's just because I'm so tall.

Grats on the bike. Let's hope you don't fucking regret it. Starting off on 100hp is...bold. Do yourself a favor and keep it below 6000 for a good while. You're not ready for the upper range of the engine on that bike, yet. :(

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Ahyup! When he splatters hisself my Insurance will go up to 77 dollars a year.

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
I would suggest getting your license through the MSF program if they have that in your state. Good luck with the bike.

Remember, ride your own ride. Do not try to keep up with more experienced riders.

Please also buy gear. What this means is leather or textile (I prefer leather) for your upper and lower body - no jeans, boots, gloves and helmet. Please understand that it is not "if" you crash - it is when you crash. I have been riding over 25 years and have crashed twice. The last time I slammed face first into the ground and slid with my bike into an embankment after sliding along the ground for about 35 feet at around 30-40mph (I'm not sure about the speed) - the friction slows one down a bit. I was, other than bumps and bruises, unhurt.
This was because I was wearing a full roadrace suit, spine and chest protector, roadrace boots, gloves and a full face helmet.

Food for thought.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts