Sport Bikes banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My bike sat for about 8 months over the winter/non-riding season with the previous owner, and it wasn't prepped for the sit.

When I got it, it started right up, and I was able to ride it around the block for about a mile in a parking lot, stalling it about 10 times. Got it home, dad was playing with choke and stalled it a few more times... Then I had the smart idea of putting it in gear with the side stand down, so the engine cut off.

I let it sit for a few hours like that and later that day I tried starting it up to no avail, draining the battery, etc... Starter turns but engine won't fire up. I definately smell a lot of gas. Waited a day, tried again, no success. Do definately smell a lot of gas though...

I guess my plugs are fouled up, so I'm going to buy some replacement plugs and try it with those. Problem is I don't know what size spark plug socket I need - I know the replacement plugs have a thread width of 12 mm.

I'm also pretty sure that because of the sit and the massive flooding - the carbs are probably plugged up and could use a good cleaning. I read in some threads on this forum that I can just drain the carb float bowls and that would alleviate the flooded problem? Or is it recommended I follow the service manual guidelines to disassemble and thoroughly clean the carbs?

·
Are we not men?
9,011 Posts
If you're lucky, you can get by with just draining the float bowls, and replacing the plugs.

Put a real good charge in the battery before you try to start it again. If that bike acts at all like my old F2, it'll be real hard to start if the battery isn't fully charged.

If the bike flooded real bad, you should do an oil change also before starting again. The gas will have gone past the rings and contaminated the oil. Contaminated oil is bad for your clutch.

You might do yourself a favor by just pulling the carbs and cleaning them before you go any further, rather than hoping that draining the floats will solve the problem.

Good luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OldSchlPunk said:
If you're lucky, you can get by with just draining the float bowls, and replacing the plugs.

Put a real good charge in the battery before you try to start it again. If that bike acts at all like my old F2, it'll be real hard to start if the battery isn't fully charged.

If the bike flooded real bad, you should do an oil change also before starting again. The gas will have gone past the rings and contaminated the oil. Contaminated oil is bad for your clutch.

You might do yourself a favor by just pulling the carbs and cleaning them before you go any further, rather than hoping that draining the floats will solve the problem.

Good luck.
Well the battery has been on a charger, so it's always been at full capacity, I guess.

I had no clue that the gas could have contaminated the oil. :/. I just did an oil change before putting the one mile on it. Is there a way to check to see if the oil is contaminated?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts