Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 08 ZZR600, only has 50 miles on it.
Twice now, it has felt as if the throttle sticks or something. I put it in first, give it just a tad of gas and it feels like it takes off (maybe that part is just the bike...), but then I pull in the clutch &/or hit the brake and it keeps going! It revs up and then down multiple times without me doing anything! What could be the problem here?

My one thought was that it did run out of gas on the way home from the dealership (big mishap on their part!) The dealership brought me a gas can full on the side of the highway, and I wonder if it was 85 octane - the bike takes 90. This combined with the 100+ temps around here - could that make it act like this? Maybe just the heat on it's own?
A friend looked at the throttle and didn't find anything apparently wrong there. The dealership I got it at is about 70 miles away, so before I make that trip on a bike with a mind of it's own, I'd like to try and figure it out myself if possible. Any ideas would help me out a lot!

·
Keyser Söze
1,360 Posts
check to make sure that the throttle cable is not binding or routed wrong. i would not thing that the bike would surge forward with out the throttle being open so that rules out the gas. i would call the dealer and explain whats going on. they do put them together when they come in so maybe they will have a idea.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Sounds like the throttle cable. If your not comfortable with adjusting it, or if you dont know what your looking for, take it in to the dealer and have them fix it for free. This isnt the first time something has acted funny on a brand new bike. Like Undertow said, the dealer has to assemble the bike when it comes to them, so things like this happen.

Octane in gas doesnt really effect the bike in that dramatic way that quickly, lower octane might make the bike hickup a little, but not surge forward.

good luck with this issue, hope its an easy fix and a quick one! Be safe and have fun!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
It sounds like a throttle body issue. I had a similar problem on my Aprilia Factory RSV and that is what it turned out to be.

·
Registered
59 Posts
How high does it rev when it goes up and down? Mine did it a little till it was broke in good. once the motor freed up some it smoothed out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How high does it rev when it goes up and down? Mine did it a little till it was broke in good. once the motor freed up some it smoothed out.
It will go from about 1500 or 2k to 5 or 6k, then down then up again a few times. Not that big of an issue when you're in 3rd+ gear, but when you're in 1st it's a big difference.

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Sounds like the dealership needs to recheck the bike. This shouldn't happening to a new bike with 50 miles on it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
yeah Mine never jumped that much just a little like from 1500 to like 2000 maybe 2500 and that was normally at a stand still NOT while cruising and cleared up by 500 miles

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
TAKE APART the grip assembly, lube it then keep off the bike. then get a bag from the food market then make a funnal then rubber band it around the top of the line then pour oil in the line. maybe lol

JUST MY THOUGHTS maybe your running to rich and theres two much oil in the carbs that are making everything gummy. try a fuel aditive to clean your jets/carbs.

i know its a 08 but still
-anything that COULD happen, will.-

·
BOOYAM
545 Posts
are you sure the throttle is not sticking open?

I went to the track earlier this summer...trailered the bike there. When I started the bike for the first time at the track, I noticed my throttle kept sticking open! I'd rev the engine and it would just rev up all the way to 6000 rpm for no reason! I thought my day had ended before even starting.

Then I noticed that my throttle grip kept sticking open...it didnt spring back! Turns out, when I strapped the bike to the trailer (straps on the grips), the grips had been pulled into the bar end, and the friction kept it stuck open!

So (with the bike off!) twisted the throttle grip back and forth, as well as forced it INWARDS (away from the bar ends)...that cleared it up perfectly!

Could be something as simple as that!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a new 08 ZZR600, only has 50 miles on it.
Twice now, it has felt as if the throttle sticks or something. I put it in first, give it just a tad of gas and it feels like it takes off (maybe that part is just the bike...), but then I pull in the clutch &/or hit the brake and it keeps going! It revs up and then down multiple times without me doing anything! What could be the problem here?

My one thought was that it did run out of gas on the way home from the dealership (big mishap on their part!) The dealership brought me a gas can full on the side of the highway, and I wonder if it was 85 octane - the bike takes 90. This combined with the 100+ temps around here - could that make it act like this? Maybe just the heat on it's own?
A friend looked at the throttle and didn't find anything apparently wrong there. The dealership I got it at is about 70 miles away, so before I make that trip on a bike with a mind of it's own, I'd like to try and figure it out myself if possible. Any ideas would help me out a lot!
How do you have 50 miles on the bike if the dealer is 70 miles from your house?

I agree with the rest tho It might not be the bike it might be you and your not realizing that your putting pressure on the throttle thus causing it to stay open. Common newbie mistake.

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
so [email protected]@king true man. it happens to me when I'm drunk and hi also :)
I'm not sure if your serious about your post or not. Nor do I care. But if you are serious it's my opinion that you have no business riding a motorcycle. Most of the people here on SBN and the ZZR600 sub-forum are hard working honest family people that enjoy riding for what it is, "the passion", not riding while drunk or high. Get a grip man or take it elsewhere.

Interests:
cars. rc cars. sportbikes. bombs. guns. plain crashes =]

You worry me.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
what's up mr. rocket didn't mean to disrespect. it was a 100% joke. i thought it was funny at the time. i do not smoke nor drink while riding and would never think about it or atempt. i am a hard working person and managed to save anough for a 05 zzr.

but coming from a new rider like me its true. i would've sworn my throttle was broken. it would rev on its own but it was all me paniking from how much power it has. with being smooth with the gas this problem vanished... like a fart in the wind :) lol

can you delete my post? or could i? how! i know it was wrong being this is a public place. with anyone being able to read

I'm not sure if your serious about your post or not. Nor do I care. But if you are serious it's my opinion that you have no business riding a motorcycle. Most of the people here on SBN and the ZZR600 sub-forum are hard working honest family people that enjoy riding for what it is, "the passion", not riding while drunk or high. Get a grip man or take it elsewhere.

Interests:
cars. rc cars. sportbikes. bombs. guns. plain crashes =]

You worry me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts