Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There is a dealer willing to sell me this bike in the link for 1550.00 tax included. Its the lightest carbon Hybrid bike out now at 19.XX ounces.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik.../sirruslimited

I like that it has rim brakes vs Disc brakes which adds weight. Not crazy about the non internal wires and no gear indicator.

Checked out the Trek 7.7 and its easy to feel the weight difference, the Giant Escape Comp is heavier too, and the Cannodale Quick Carbon is too expensive.

These are all hybrid style bikes. Specialized is changing all the carbon Sirrus bikes to hydraulic disc brakes for 2014.

I think I have a few days for them to honor the price.

Oh yeah that is a 2012/2013 model.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Seems really cheap for a carbon bike. What components are on it? Another vote for drops. Also why get a "hybrid" only to slam the stem?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My body cannot take drops. The price is 1,395 before tax and 1550 OTD.

FRAMESpecialized FACT 8r carbon, FACT IS construction, compact race design w/ Zertz inserts, 1-1/8" to 1-3/8" HT, threaded BB REAR SHOCK FORKSpecialized Roubaix FACT carbon, full monocoque, Zertz HEADSET1-1/8" upper, 1-3/8" lower Campy-style integrated cartridge bearing, 15mm alloy conical spacer STEMSpecialized Elite-Set, 3D forged alloy, 4-position adjustable, 4-bolt, 31.8mm HANDLEBARSSpecialized double-butted alloy flat bar, 31.8mm, 6-degreeree backsweep TAPEBody Geometry Targa lock-on w/ integrated bar end FRONT BRAKETektro R670 dual-pivot REAR BRAKETektro R670 dual-pivot BRAKE LEVERSTektro forged-alloy FRONT DERAILLEURSRAM Apex REAR DERAILLEURSRAM Apex SHIFT LEVERSSRAM SL-700 CASSETTE SRAM Apex, 10-speed, 11-32 CHAINKMC X-10, Ti, reusable Missing Link CRANKSETFSA Omega, forged alloy CHAINRINGS50/34, alloy outer ring BOTTOM BRACKET SRAM GXP PEDALSSirrus nylon body, 1.5mm varus angle, symmetric alloy cage, toe clip capable FRONT WHEELDT Axis 3.0 REAR WHEELDT Axis 3.0 RIMSMavic CXP22, w/ eyelets FRONT HUBSirrus 460V, forged alloy, double sealed, smooth ground race, 24h REAR HUBForged , sealed mechanism, ground races, cassette, custom shape and graphic, 32h SPOKESStainless, 14g FRONT TIRESpecialized Espoir Elite, 60TPI, wire bead, double BlackBelt protection, 700x23c REAR TIRESpecialized Espoir Elite, 60TPI, wire bead, double BlackBelt protection, 700x23c INNER TUBESSpecialized Presta Valve SADDLEBody Geometry Targa Comp, Cr-Mo rails, 143mm SEATPOSTSpecialized Pro, FACT Carbon, two-bolt clamp, 27.2mm

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
19.x lbs seems heavy

My 1986~ish aluminum cannondale weighs about that, and it's a big cycle, since I'm 6'5". No carbonfiber back then!
in 1986 the top road bike c'dale made was 20-1/4 lbs
http://www.vintagecannondale.com/year/1986/1986.pdf

while i think 19+ is heavy for what i see, it's not by much. if that were a road bike, i would expect 17 lbs ±, so a slightly heavier 'comfort' frame, big cassette, etc and you're at 18-19 lbs.

OP, i like it, but i would toss the tektro brakes calipers for something higher end (shimano or SRAM). unless they made big changes in the last few years, those are typically pretty squishy and non-responsive.

·
Registered
905 Posts
in 1986 the top road bike c'dale made was 20-1/4 lbs
http://www.vintagecannondale.com/year/1986/1986.pdf

while i think 19+ is heavy for what i see, it's not by much. if that were a road bike, i would expect 17 lbs ±, so a slightly heavier 'comfort' frame, big cassette, etc and you're at 18-19 lbs.

OP, i like it, but i would toss the tektro brakes calipers for something higher end (shimano or SRAM). unless they made big changes in the last few years, those are typically pretty squishy and non-responsive.
Granted the Tektro's aren't the best I would start by replacing the pads with some KoolStop Salmons. That should make them acceptable. Also, get rid of the dork disk.

·
Registered
905 Posts
19.x lbs seems heavy

My 1986~ish aluminum cannondale weighs about that, and it's a big cycle, since I'm 6'5". No carbonfiber back then!
The cassette, wheels, pedals, saddle, and brakes on that bike are anchors. Replace those and it would be much lighter. I'm not saying it's necessary, just pointing out a big chunk of the weight.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ended getting it. I really was tempted to get a 2014 model in the carbon Specialized Sirrus line and they had one for me to look at, it had internal wires which is nice but hydraulic disc brakes and just picking it up it added noticeable weight which I don't want so I jumped on this 2013 model which still has good old V brakes. I do not ride in the rain since I am a rec rider and for the price I paid and how it feels I completely love it.
I do not plan on spending anything to upgrade components except for a bike computer.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
The cassette, wheels, pedals, saddle, and brakes on that bike are anchors. Replace those and it would be much lighter. I'm not saying it's necessary, just pointing out a big chunk of the weight.

I was selling Cannondales when they first came on the market. Still have some from the first years

No cassettes. (NOT stock pedals, obviously)

Genuine gold plated brake calipers. Standard upgrade our shop did on most of these special models, along with a special seat that had real gold plated emblem

Two sets of wheels, stock sew up wheels not shown

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
I was about to ridicule you for paying that kid of money for a bike. until I realized I spent more than that on my 3 RC cars.:urowned

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
If it makes you happy. Looks a good bike but definitely not what I would buy haha. I don't like hybrids

1 - 20 of 26 Posts