Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday, was almost undescribable. Almost.

A. Just as I have decided to jump on my bike to do a couple errands (excuse to practice and stop using the car) my friend calls to ask where he can meet me on his bike, and if i wanted to run his errands with him. So i went to apply for a job and everybody looked at me. I parked next to a CBR and when i walked in the place a lady behind the optical counter said "i know you not riding your own bike!" I said "yes I aaaaam!" she said it again, i said it again, and we both just grinned at each other (I stick out like a sore thumb around here cause i must be the only girl or rider period that wears full suit, haven't seen any others). My friend showed up and when i was done applying we both walked out. Needless to say every guy within eyeshot was looking, girls too.

We head on his errands (ps this daytime run is my firsttime braving IN town downtown areas with my bike). We stop at a gas station and i have to use the bathroom. My friend says all girls young and old are staring at me, I don't notice cause i am focused on finding the bathroom.

Let me pause here to say my GOD what a slow, interesting process to use a small and nasty gas station bathroom when it's that time of month and you gotta pee and change! (sorry men reading this, but that's why it's in women's forum, i want to know how they deal with it.) You don't want to touch a DAMN thing, and you got all this bulky stuff to maneuver. So i look around for a safe non germ-infested spot to rest a helmet, none outside or inside the bathroom, so i decide hell, i will put the helmet ON to use the bathroom. And that is what i did. Stuck my gloves inside my jacket pocket and made sure everything was zipped so nothing feel out, pulled the leathers down far as they would go, and did the "oh my god i don't want to even accidentally touch ANYthing" squat. Ladies how the HELL do you all manage this? I did it flawlessly, lol, got through my first public restroom experience in full leather, hot, miserable, but relieved.

Got back outside (after using a paper towel to touch everything afterwards, you don't understand that bathroom, but i couldn't wait til our next stop, cause i didn't want to be RUSHING to do it the first time i gotta deal with full suit)...i am on my bike getting ready to go and little boys are looking, and men walk past me joking about "can you handle that thing!" "you giving me a ride?" etc. I just smile and nod the helmet and say yes (and no, to that 2nd one). We head to the bank and when i get off, there are 2 or 3 cops standing outside, 2 female, one male. My friend said to me the guy cop is staring at you and smiling hard, he must like you or something. I finally take my helmet off and notice the guy is giving his best cheshire grin. I ask my friend, "how did he know i was a girl when i had the helmet on?" My friend says girl, you can't hide, the way you walk and your curves are giving it away. I said oh. lol. I nod to the cop and head in, he must either own his own bike, i am thinking, or find any girl on a bike extra interesting. One thing: when i am on the bike, i have trained myself to be in all gear all the time, so i don't notice the heat...when i get inside a building, OH LORD, it feels like heaven, that is when i notice how friggin HOT i was!

Anyway, so we leave, and for the first time he doesn't ride me back home after we eat and so on, i take myself home from downtown, and it was a piece of cake (i was getting too dependent anyway, so even though i thought i was nervous i told him i gotta do it solo some time, time to grow up). Then i got home, rested, drank some water, ate a bowl of cereal, jumped out of all my gear and thanked god and all the angels for a place to live and the a/c!!!!! in it. 2 hours later i still have the riding bug, and want to fulfill my original mission of being out by myself, just so i know i can...so i took it from the northeast edge of town alllll the way to the south edge, and by my friend's shop, this one runs a fast & the furious type of car/body shop. I am afraid of any nails from their work getting in my tires, so i park by the entrance and walk in. One friend sees me and goes "don't tell me you own a bike!" I said yes sir! He said i didn't hear a bike, i didn't see a bike, you sure you have a bike? I said walk outside you fool and see for yourself. Him and the other one get all excited and ask to take it for a spin (they use to ride but sold theirs).

Interesting thing, they weren't acting like "ah you probly don't know what you doing" but they did give advice such as "promise me for the next 6 months at least you won't ride with a group, because pressure to keep up with them makes people do some crazy things." and "you feel like you didn't corner quite right, stay away from your back brakes in the corner, remember gas and leaning"...and one said "you get a lot of respect though, how many girls you know are actually bad enough to go BUY their OWN f*cking bike?"...another one showed up and said he was proud of me, and glad i was dressed to be safe. One of them had joked about my gear and the damn hot leather, but i said hey, i have recently seen a man who went down in EIGHTIES with road rash scars, and women do not look sexy with road rash, okay? So that shut him up.

Well, I gotta go out real quick but when i get back i'll be talking about the perfect date...2 of us on our bikes which was also my first night ride!
:locked

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Wow, that sounds really good. I'm with you on the public rest rooms, I sure wish I could pee standing up! You might look into getting some kind of secure lock that you can trust you helmet to for a few minutes. That's my plan. It'll be less thing to maneuver. :)lol @ helmet on for the loo!)

I think people out here are more used to gals on bikes. I don't get asked if I ride my own bike, I get asked what kind of bike I ride. Tallahassee is getting some much needed education! You rock.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Wow, you go girl! I am not as far as you in my riding skills, so I devoured every word you said!! There are so many of us Posse up here in Dairy Land that I doubt I'd garner as much attention... though I must say, I can't wait for the day a guy does a double-take when he sees a GIRL on a BIKE!!

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
You go Brownlius!! I am SO proud of you!! Keep us posted on your progress :cheers

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
karst said:
Wow, that sounds really good. I'm with you on the public rest rooms, I sure wish I could pee standing up! You might look into getting some kind of secure lock that you can trust you helmet to for a few minutes. That's my plan. It'll be less thing to maneuver. :)lol @ helmet on for the loo!)

I think people out here are more used to gals on bikes. I don't get asked if I ride my own bike, I get asked what kind of bike I ride. Tallahassee is getting some much needed education! You rock.
Thanks. :) I never sit on public toilets regardless...but as far as the helmet, unless i am standing around outside where the bike it, i don't lock it to the bike, i take it with. I actually figure putting it on to use the bathroom isn't so bad. Probly the one time i would lock it to the bike to use the bathroom is if i stopped JUST to use the bathroom. Can't afford anything happening to it right now. I'll see if i can describe my date while i'm giving my bike an hour to cool off outside (just got back in from riding when i left you all, can you believe it? :D

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ZXXX6RN said:
Wow, you go girl! I am not as far as you in my riding skills, so I devoured every word you said!! There are so many of us Posse up here in Dairy Land that I doubt I'd garner as much attention... though I must say, I can't wait for the day a guy does a double-take when he sees a GIRL on a BIKE!!
Really? Why did i think all this time you were in the Much More Experienced leagues?

I think I am sticking out because I am in full gear on a sportbike (sportbikers around here don't wear leather pants and motorcycle boots, it's against the law or something, lol). And my leathers (boots and pants) squeak like the loudest stupid mouses when i walk. It sounds QUITE ridiculous. I don't know, really, i guess it's a combination of everything...and the weird thing is, i have the quietest bike out there...stock exhaust, next to any other bike, i sound INVISIBLE. Yet I am so clearly not. Interesting.

Wear full gear, in girly colors, and those guys in dairy land are bound to stare. (I don't have girly colors but that's because my bikes is in a straightforward color, and i cannot fit women's bike gear). And if your hair is long, let it blow in the wind when you ride, there is no way a man won't know you're a girl then. :D That's my pep talk for the night, lol. You could also get a girly nickname for yourself and put it on your helmet and your bike where people can see it. :D

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chinygyal said:
You go Brownlius!! I am SO proud of you!! Keep us posted on your progress :cheers
Thanks! But wait, my girl, how i'm looking in your avatar lines and see "cbr 600 f4i"???? Nuh juss weh day yuh seh yuh ride a 250? Yuh gone clear! :beer Post some pics nuh?

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
B. The date.

Met this guy when i went out with my trainer/friend to the bike hangout thursdays (which is Hooters). He was the only young one that pulled up to the group so i said hey, a young guy has a little more in common with me. He got my number (i gave it out to the guys in the group generally so they could all let me know when next they are riding), and that was thursday, we were supposed to link up friday after he got off work. Didn't hear from him and aside from sprint locking off my phone (murphy's LAW, ugh) which i quickly turned back on, was wondering if it was one of those "let's do something tomorrow" empty promise kind of things.

Bout 10 oclock this boy calls apologizing because of whatever the reason was. Asked what i was doing for the night, i said well, i am in the mood to see a movie but then again i could go dancing, what are you doing? He asks what movie i want to see and i said Mr. & Mrs. Smith cause it was sold out on my its opening night last week. He asks if i want him to ride his bike to meet me and we go, or... I said wait, am i riding as passenger on your bike or you mean we both ride over there, cause i don't ride at night, i heard it's harder than riding in the day. He said no it won't be hard and he thought we could each ride our bikes out (since we were supposed to go riding together earlier). So he meets me at my place and meanwhile I am thinking to myself how i told you guys on SBN just last week that my perfect date now involves me and dude on our bikes...and here it is, daydream come true.

My first time dressing for a date AND the bike...ahhh what to do what to do. Full leather is all well and good, but not when you are about to go sit down for 2 hours straight...so i said to myself, either i will wear girl boots that match my jacket, or i will wear regular girl jeans and wear the motorcycle boots. I rationalized that at that time of night, hardly anyone was on the road, unlike in the daytime where people are always about. I tried on my girl boots and backed the bike out of the apartment...put it in first and moved it...decided i could get used to that, but not for my first night ride. So i pictured if i went down what would be worse, a little rash on the legs or a messed up ankle? Messed up ankle. Decided to put on girl jeans and wear my motorcycle boots underneath. Helmet jacket gloves boots. Not so bad at all, and still hot enough to be a good looking date. :D

He comes to pick me up and I have never ridden with him before, (he's on a Gixxer 750, black and yellow w/matching helmet, naturally sexy bike, lol). So i warn him hey, i am NEW to riding don't ride off and leave me (in reality i have not had a problem turning my throttle, but i don't want people getting into show off mode on me because I am not in the mood). He says don't worry i won't leave you, we're riding together. And while riding he does do a good job of waiting for me after he's taken off from a light (sometimes i had to wait for him cause he stalled his bike or something else was going on), and of sticking out his foot or hand to indicate where he wants me to turn.

On the way to the theater, we are at an intersection near my place and someone is waiting to turn left, he revs his bike, then stands up on the pegs. We both get to the next light and i figure he was doing it for me so i go ahead and tell him that was cute! He said he does that when people are turning and he thinks they don't see him, he'll rev the bike and if they still look like they are about to turn, he stands up...basically drags their attention to him. I hadn't thought of that, said that's a good idea. (I, won't be trying that, i use my horn, and i have stock exhaust anyway...pointless.)

We are at the last left turn to get to the theater way down near downtown, and he makes the left but i can't go quick enough so i attempt to sit out in the intersection so as soon as a space clears i can go. Well, light turns and i go to move, and my bike STALLS. Dammit! Murphy's LAW, ugh! And i get so nervous because i am in the middle of the intersection, that i stall it again and again! DAMN man...so finally the car that needs to turn left away from me blows their horn to signal they are going to go ahead and go, and I breathe a sigh of relief that they see me and calm down to do my friction zone properly...and now that i am not trying to rush so as not to hold up traffic, once the last car has turned i move off no problem. Whew. No threat of accident cause traffic was coming from only one way and i travel at night with my brights on, but i just feel a lot of pressure to not take all day when i am stalled and i am in front. I hardly ever stall out there, but usually i get moving on the very next try cause i flip the engine back on VERY fast to get out of people's way. Anyway, he was waiting for me on the other side of the turn, so no biggie.

He has a hookup at the smaller movie theater, we ride over there and find out the last movie started over 30 minutes ago...so we end up having to ride to the big movie theater, and what do you know, we get there in perfect timing for the 11:30 showing of Mr. & Mrs. Smith (I mean, we pulled up and got off the bikes and were inside the place AT 11:30, we were just meant to see that movie, lol).

On the way to the big theater, there is a very weird turn...it is a u turn that then forks off into either a wide u turn to one road, or a sharper u turn to the nearer road...we somehow got separated and i got caught behind the light of the turn. When it's green, i can't see him, so i make a guess and take the sharper turn...oops, i hear him blowing his horn, and i was slowing anyway cause i can't find him. I pull off onto the sidewalk (there was a slope entrance to a store lot or something) and back up to do what is going to be a now even sharper u turn from a curved road to another road curving in the same direction as the first...so basically two parallel curved roads, with a sharp u turn connecting them both. Lovely.

This is my first "Dangerous Intersection." Cars are coming from left or right going on either curve, and i have to time my little friction zone take off to get me across the lane and then angle for the u turn. So i aim the bike at the bottom of the u that forms the right turn from one curved road to the other, and as soon as the way is clear, ease off (can't go too fast cause the curve is coming right up) and remember to clutch it and/or give it gas, no brakes, around the curve...u turn successful, and he's there waiting for me and we take off again, no more incidents and we pull into the theatre and i follow his lead parking right up on the sidewalk by the mall entrance that leads to the theatre, next to another bike that's already there. Everyone looks, and looks some more as they see the faces appearing from under the helmets. He apparently usually locks his helmet to the bike, but i tell him i don't feel comfortable leaving my helmet anywhere so we both take them in.

We have got to the be the weirdest looking date couple: we're both wearing icon but his is camouflage and mine is white and black, he is walking up to the theatre line and into the movies with this bright yellow and black helmet (shoei, i think), and i have a black white and silver hjc...and we both have the same gloves, coincidentally. He noticed it before i did. Him in his regular boots, me in my motorcycle boots (as opposed to every other girl in there who is wearing her Friday Night Date Heels, lol). We're both tall, he is darker than me but not very. I had on a white spaghetti strap tank top with those built in brassieres, and a pair of brazilian jeans that looked like black and grey paint had been splashed on it...or like black and grey camouflage, kind of. I put them over the boots so the boots wouldn't be so painfully obvious, but they still squeaked, and the front calf part balloons out a little so you can see i have some tall boots on under the jeans. I liked how they looked though. :D Wish i had taken pics, but one day that outfit will strike again. :D

People stared again. (Really, how many dates do you see walking around in bike gear and helmet with each other into the movies? Yeah, I'd stare too. lol.) We get in the movies and he seems to know a couple people, including one guy that rides, and we sit down with the food and drink and i stash the helmets in the seat right next to me. The guy on the other side of the helmets was one of the guys my date knew, so since i made him move his arm so we can put the 2nd helmet down, i todl him he could use it as an armrest. :D

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
B. continued:

Mr. & Mrs. Smith becomes an excellent movie, and my date declared it and i said yes, you must now admit my good taste in movies, lol. We head out without incident, and then it crosses my mind I am having a good time, i don't WANT to go home yet! So i blow the hell out of my horn and indicate i am turning somewhere to stop...and unfortunately stop into a sloping parking lot driveway that would then require me to do a hillstart and turn left to go back where we came from. Brownilus, genius. Smirk. I ask him if he's tired, he says no, i said do you want to go dancing? He asks where i wnat to go and i tell him the reggae club. Does he know where it is? Yes. Off we go, and he tells me while we are waiting to turn left (and i am holding my front brake to keep the bike from sliding down backwards) that Tallahassee is full of hills so whenever i get the chance, move back and forth on hills and practice my hill starts.

We get to the club and the cops and whoever is outside watches us turn around and find a safe enough spot to back our bikes into (so we can take off already facing forward). We lock the helmets to the bike this time. In we go with the jackets on, and since the club closes at 4, we get in a good 2 hours of dancing...dancehall reggae , hip hop, soca, rockers reggae, and i having a ball! So is he, cause he never dances with anyone else, jus either watches me dancing or dances with me. My friends see me and they are making a big deal over me being on a bike, and when did i get it and I didn't know you ride! (i have not been announcing it, i figure aside from the peope i know who actually ride, and one or 2 who have been by my place anyway, the rest will find out when they see me on it, I don't like making big announcements about new machinery...i don't do it when i get a car, either, people find out when they see me in it). The club owner i've known for a while, and he was impressed enough to pause from rushing to wherever he was going in the club to check out my jacket (all that white is now glowing in the dark, by the way) and ask what i ride, and if i am doing wheelies etc. I told him the ride and said no, too new for all that yet!

Lol. My guy friends i usually am hanging with when i happen to be at the club are across the room pretending not to notice that i have brought a date to the club. Unusual for me that I don't just show up with one of the boys. Even more unusual, she shows up with a dude they don't know, and she is on her own bike, and he rides one too...lots of stuff to talk about from now til next week, probly. lol. I saw the guy that owns the car/body shop, and he wanted me to bring the bike by Sat. so he could see it and me ("and he wants me to dress sexy just like i'm looking now"...that comment made the day, cause everyone around me had on their best club gear and i am a girl known to wear my heels...hear i am in some squeaky boots and a big mesh jacket, but somebody found it hot and the jeans seemed to be a hit...)

That was a drinking water night, by the way. But I've gone to the club and drank just water all night before, so that was no big deal. Again i must use a small hot bathroom but THIS time no bulky leather pants and no helmet! MUUUUCH better/quicker.

We are outside the club gearing up to move too and warming up the bikes, and one of the djs (who i know) walks by and is all conversational about me and this bike. I say to myself now me and him talk, but he normally wouldn't pause after the club when he has his records to pack up and stuff to chitchat...seems the bike has literally stopped him in his tracks. A next one, a girl, who knows people i know but i only met her recently, pauses on the way to her car to say ooh, she LIKES my bike, she is getting a bike soon! I amile and say really! ...And i am wondering and surprised at all the RESPONSE this bike is causing! Then our bikes are warmed up and the moment i loved that truly made me smile wide under the helmet: while everyone else is moving by slow in their cars or standing around outside the club looking and chitchatting, his black and yellow gixxer 750 and my black and silver yzf 600 make the curve left off the grass/dirt into the lane back from where we came, he takes off up the road shifting 2nd, 3rd, etc and i take off behind him, shifting 2nd, 3rd, etc...no stalling, nothing but a nice lean to the left and GONE. Freedom, and everything else but that left BEHIND me.

He actually lives on the direct opposite side of town from me but he was nice enough to ride me back to my place and tell me he had a great time, and he hopes we can link up again, and then he went home...he even said he had to go to work at 8am! I couldn't believe he let me keep him out til 4:30 in the morning! But he said he's had longer nights out, and when he takes the highway he's not taking long to get home. So I told him to call me when he gets in and leave a message if i happen to fall asleep. He got home safe, and i was glad i decided to be brave and try night riding, because it actually has a lot less traffic on the road in the wee hours, and if i had chickened out, i would have missed a GREAT night. It was just beautiful. What could be better than me a nice tall guy dealing with it on our bikes?

He's already thought of a new one: us taking it on some back roads and out of town roads where we can really ride our bikes, not this stop and go business in town. Sounds like MY idea of a wicked date, i don't know about anybody else.

I went to sleep and dreamed sweet dreams of riding around on my bike with one or two other people. I think i went to sleep with a smile on my face and even though the phone woke me out of my sleep, i woke up smiling.

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And the guy was nice enough to pay for the movies and the food even though i offered to cover food since he was covering the tickets. (he did joke that he couldn't let me do that on the first date, but AFTER the first time...)

:D So whenever you guys wake up and log in, let's hear some of your "Date w/the Bike" stories...I'm a sucker for a romance story...

I am ready for a bike trip down to the nearest beach...i'd DEFINITELY wear some shorts and a bathsuit that could fit under the gear...and start making use of the seat storage..

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh, and the reason i took so long to get back in here is a i went riding and was out longer than i thought. Went downtown, southside, across town, out of town, back in town, and home...met the 2nd female rider (this one experienced, she now rides a fancily painted cbr 600 and a helmet with her name on it).

That became my first time riding in a group. I gave my usual warning about not leaving me, but they all road with me and around me and actually, need to stop saying it cause i don't have a problem keeping up with anybody (in town, anyway).

Main points from that ride (which has become, once night fell, my 2nd night ride):

1. I DID NOT STALL ONCE AT ANY LIGHT, even when the person in front didn't take off fast enough because the car ahead of them was taking all day long...that means my friction zone control is definitely very much improved. Hopefully i continue to get and keep the hang of stop and go in traffic.

2. I DID stall on a RAILROAD track just before a curve outside of town, and after the "oh SH*T" feeling, just reminded myself to hold in the clutch turn that baby back on (fast!) and just ease the cluth out so i can take the turn slightly faster than friction zone.

3. On the way home a car tried to come over in my lane with me having just come up beside it, but i watch those fr****** even in my car for that exact same problem, so i was ready for him and "leaned" on my horn immediately to frighten him back over into his lane (while i speeded up to get out of the blind bat's way). Not a near accident by any means cause my father taught me a long time ago to watch everybody's front wheels since the vehicle will go wherever the front wheel goes, and i was already watching the car out of the corner of my eye for just such foolishness, but my first time with the "cage who doesn't see you" thing.

4. After the ride was over the guys (who escorted me home from the other side of town) all complimented my riding and said i was riding very well. (And they didn't end it with "for a new rider"...just, i am riding very well, end of sentence.)

5. I washed my bike for the first time today (only previous time was washing dog sh*t from the apartment complex grass off my wheels so i could put the bike in the apartment). Went by my friend's where he was washing his bike and he taught me how to wash mine, dry it with some kind of cloth made out of leather that never feels wet but you wring it out and the water comes out, it dries the bike without streaking instantly, wickedest thing...and how to Armorall the black parts. I will have to buy some bike wash material at some point i guess but til then i could just use his place, i guess.

His neighbor across the street he had sold his old bike to, and the guy and his wife were just so interested in this girl they had been hearing about that their neighbor was teaching how to ride a bike...the wife came over and checked out my bike, checked out my friend's bike, and kept saying how she is getting one, her husband doesn't believe her but as soon as she saves up enough she is getting one. She was worried about being too short. I told her about the guy i know who is 5'3" and rides a Hayabusa, the girls on this website who are 5 nothing, 5' 2", etc, who ride r6's and whatnot, and the girl i saw in atlanta who was short and riding a lowered 'Busa. So i told her all she has to do is get a bike lowered. She also asked me where i got my boots, and where i took the class (my friend told her he trained me after i took the class and started on their bikes). So i told her about ebay and the MSF, and told her they teach in 2.5 days, and my whole story with retesting and not knowing how to drive standard. Hopefully that tells her if i with all my "i don't know how to"s can do it, so can she. And if she knows of other short women who are doing it, then she can too. So thanks to Chinygal and SicR6 and whoever else i have seen talk about how short they are and what they are riding...your stories helped me answer some questions for a lady today. :D

Now i thought that all that was, was she must be waiting on her husband to cave in so she can get a bike...but what a surprise, my friend says once she's gone that she must want a bike cause she sees you on one and realizes there's a girl out there DOING it, cause she has always seen his bike and her husband's that he sold to her husband, and he has NEVER before today heard the woman say she wanted her own bike.

Interesting. She's very pretty too, maybe her husband hasn't been encouraging her cause he's afraid she'll get injured....i don't know, maybe he has never heard all this, either, like my friend. My friend seems very proud of me..well, he's said it too, but i think he takes a little pride in showing off the results of his work, lol. I met the guys i rode with today on thursday at the Hooters bike hangout night, and they all accused him of trying to keep one of the few female riders all to himself, saying he was harboring one of Tallahassee's best kept secrets...one of them was still joking about me being "allowed" to ride without him (my friend), esp. after seeing us the next day, and i wasn't a passenger as i was that night, but on my own bike...but still with my friend, so he got it in his head that i am somehow not allowed to be out without the friend. But showing up today at the end of some car show by myself and then riding across and out of town with them and the girl, lays THAT story to rest. I did make sure to point out though that in case he forgot, i have only been riding a couple weeks, the friend was riding with me so i could get comfortable on the road and have someone there who i know and whose riding style i know...I wasn't being forced to ride with him only. (((rolls eyes)))

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok that's it for this week. Lots of big events. Got the endorsement on my license (finally), got the insurance (finally), got my own license plate (FINALLY), got out n the roads in town, got out on the roads across town, got out in town at night and got out in a group (small group, 6 total, but a group nonetheless).

And this entire thread happened in the last 3-4 days...whew. Bedtime.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Brownilus- No, I am not a member of the elite Much More Experienced Leagues... I just got my temps this spring, et al. I bought my bike in January and have been collecting the pieces to rebuild it. In the meantime I've been riding a 750 gixxer and a 250 something or other. The 750 is too much bike for me to take on the street, being a newbie and all, and the 250 is falling apart, which means I'll be pulled over by the cops in a heartbeat. So, I've spent all these months pining away for my bike, and practicing in parking lots. I can say, though, I am pretty darn good at turns- better than most, if not all, newbies here on SBN. Not much else to practice in parking lots!! I've got all the basics, the turns, the sudden stops, and I am good at shifting now too- I've gotten up to third gear in a parking lot. I look thru my turns like a pro, I have confidence now- I can do some tight figure eights, tight circles, etc. But as for street experience, I don't have that. Thus my tears over my bike. I want to ride so badly that I can taste it. I dream of it, and yet my bike still is not quite ready. Oh well, patience... and soon I'll be posting about my first lone ride just like you! Congrats girlie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks.

I forgot to say that on the way to link up with that group i had to stop at a stop light that was the beginning of road they were doing construction on: gravel and roughed-up road! I got a little nervous cause i remember reading on this site and the other site that a lot of people have been K'Oed by gravel, but i decide even if it holds up the cars behind me, i'll just friction zone it til i feel like i will not slide away. Got through that fine, and stayed in 2nd or 3rd til i got off that kind of road and back to smooth asphalt.

At the car show the road into it was all dirt, so i got a little experience riding (in friction zone cause i didn't trust it, lol) on dirt and turning on grass. The girl i met said she had pointed that out to the guys before i got there, that i was new and the road was a narrow dirt lane...but i think the key to all situations you are not familiar with is to take them in the friction zone at 10-15 mph. That's the theory i've been testing, anyway. :D

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@ Zxxx...did someone crash your bike?

have someone with more experience take it to a b***** parking lot where you can go up all gears at some speed.

it's a shame you can't take the 250 on some back roads, is it THAT bad?

my problem with turns according to my friend/trainer is that i take them too fast or too sharp. I improved that yesterday, and the more i have to turn in real life the better i get. i personally don't feel afraid cause if i am going too close to the lane of oncoming traffic i lean harder, but he doesn't like me going so close to the line and really, i don't either. so i need to remember to start out the turn at a wider angle so that a regular lean keeps me in the middle of the lane, not at one edge or the other of it.

There is supposed to be a car and bike show going on today at the National Guard Armory so i think i'll check that out. (I am just looking for excuses to ride, lol.)

We all hope you get on the road soon...i don't think florida has temp tags...why not take the msf and get a full endorsement? You don't need your bike to take the test do you?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I can't take the msf, and really, it is not all it is cracked up to be. How many DUMB riders have taken the msf?? How many dumb riders have NOT taken the msf?? It is not the MSF that makes a rider good, it is common sense AND a good teacher. I have both. As for the back roads, what's the point? Anyone can go in a straight line. In the parking lots I've done turns until I was blue in the face. So the back roads are just to gear a rider up for real-life traffic, that's all... when my bike is ready and registered, which should be this week, I'll take it on the backroads to start to get used to traffic, and when I am ready I will graduate to busier roads. That and experience is all I have left to stick under my belt. I just hope I can continue to be smart about bikes, ride my bike and not let it ride me, that sort of thing. As for you, you are much further ahead than me now- congrats, be smart, I know you can do it!!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I can't speak for WI, but in OR, the MSF most certainly is all it's cracked up to be. I was an intermediate rider, not much challenged by the class until figure 8s and U-turns. But the instructor was still able to identify several bad habits and help me work on them. I nailed that stuff on the test. If your friend is a good instructor, you're totally lucky. But I'd be careful about dissing the MSF. Do you really want to be on the road with a bunch of DUMB riders who haven't even been able to pass the MSF?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts