Sport Bikes banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've been lurking on the forum for a while reading threads and I was curious why people are using load balancers rather than flashers specifically designed for LED turn signals.

A quick google search turned up: Custom LED Electronic LED Flasher Blinker Relay - Plug And Play

Sure the load balancer works but then you defeat the energy efficiency of the LED bulbs.

Thanks for the input.
Since I only have front LEDs I'm just using the Tridon EL12 flasher since it was only $3.99. I will probably switch to one of the plug in plays if I go with all LEDs. The old guy at Autozone said that he just wired a reg bulb inline when he did an LED set up for someone. I guess it was cheaper than a resistor lol

·
5,547 Posts
I've been lurking on the forum for a while reading threads and I was curious why people are using load balancers rather than flashers specifically designed for LED turn signals.

A quick google search turned up: Custom LED Electronic LED Flasher Blinker Relay - Plug And Play

Sure the load balancer works but then you defeat the energy efficiency of the LED bulbs.

Thanks for the input.
All input here is welcome. But if you are going to make specific statements about the technical aspects of something IMO an explaination would be nice to have to back your statement about "defeating the energy efficiency of LED bulbs", Thanks

What I have installed on my bike to achieve the proper flash rate was actually recommended to me by a motorcycle mechanic with many years of experience in the business.

·
Registered
17 Posts
All input here is welcome. But if you are going to make specific statements about the technical aspects of something IMO an explaination would be nice to have to back your statement about "defeating the energy efficiency of LED bulbs", Thanks

What I have installed on my bike to achieve the proper flash rate was actually recommended to me by a motorcycle mechanic with many years of experience in the business.
LEDs use significantly less current which is why they cause the stock flasher to blink too fast. When the load drops on a flasher, they flash fast by design to let you know a bulb is burned out. Since the LEDs draw so little current, they fool the flasher into thinking a bulb is burned out. By adding the load balancer into the circuit, you are creating an additional load thereby correcting the flash rate. I've read many posts where you suggest to mount the load balancer on a metal part because it gets very hot. I believe your approach solves the problem of the flash rate at the expense of using more current. The heat is wasted energy because the load balancer is drawing current on the circuit. When I say that your setup uses "more current," I mean that it is an appropriate amount for your flasher; however, I believe if you used a different flasher, you could eliminate the load balancer and have a setup that uses very, very little current.

What's the point if they are just turn signals? Well you are probably right there. I don't have specific specs on a set of LED turn signals vs stock turn signals comment on power consumption. If you had LEDs for all indicator lights, I imagine you could leave your parking lights on for an extended time period without worrying about draining your battery.

I was just trying to understand your setup. It is by no means wrong. After all, you stated you have not had any problems with it since it was installed. If the LEDs are wired correctly then it is likely they will outlive your bike.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had the Gregg's flushmounts on my wife's 08 ZZR and fit and finish was very nice. I replaced them though because to me they were not bright enough. When I was in front of her, I could not see them very well. If you don't mind that, then they look really great. If you are interested in them, let me know and I'll sell them to you. I'm leaving town in the morning until late Sunday evening so it would be Monday before I could do anything. If interested, let me know and PM your zip code so I can check on shipping

Here are some pictures. They have clear lens and have some minor swirls from cleaning with Honda Polish. I have no idea what they are worth but if interested, let me know and I'll ask my wife what she wants for them.

Click for Video

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking for factory turn signals. Laid down my bike in the garage, no real damage except the front right turn signal. Since most people swap them out for custom. Is anyone want to sell me theirs?

·
Registered
2 Posts
shadezz thanks anyways. I'm a rookie so I wasn't clear. I need front right. My sliders are still in box. The front right turn signal is the only thing that saved my lower cowl.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I have stock amber lenses if you need 'em. I put clears on my bike.

·
Registered
58 Posts
New flush mounts

Is there a way to install these w/o removing the upper fairing?

·
Registered
58 Posts
ok, so I have the fairing off and I'm having a hell of a time getting the stock signals off

·
5,547 Posts
ok, so I have the fairing off and I'm having a hell of a time getting the stock signals off
Very easy, did you try loosening the retainer clip that holds the signal to the faring. Mine just popped right off back in 2006:) Don't get frustrated, take your time so you don't break something.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks Z,

Complete

Looks a lot sleaker than stock. Not a bad buy for $25 off Amazon

41 - 56 of 56 Posts