Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
www.getrenegade.com
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my new plastics for the F3 and need to prep my existing side fairings, tank, etc for paint. What's the best way to remove the factory decals & what grid sand papers should I use? I bought a one-piece upper off eBay that has a few cracks in it that I need to fix w/ fiberglass before prepping and just got a brand new (97-98) Sharkskinz solo street tail. Paint scheme will be probably the factory yellow (or something similar) with carbon fiber decals (just basic Honda, CBR & F3) and carbon fibor accents (mirrors, sliders, crank cover, etc.) Thoughts and/or suggestions? :)

·
loner
201 Posts
suggestion 1- don't get carbon fiber 'look' anything... not decals, not mirrors, not grips, not signals... it looks retarded

i did an F2 a couple years ago with a heat gun and 600 and greater grit wet sanding. however, there are some experts here, so don't listen to me (except for suggestion 1... that should be a sticky)

·
Super Moderator
18,632 Posts
Stickers are hard as hell to get off...Takes lots of elbow grease...You can try goo gone or something similar, but it just takes time and work and they eventually come off...

Sandpaper...Use 200 until all the remnants of the sticker glue are gone and then finish if off with 400 and it'll be smooth as a babys bottom...They also have sandpaper sponges now so you can do a really good wet sand...

I did the above with my 900RR (below)...Tank and every plastic were hand sanded exactly the way I described....I think it turned out pretty well..

Just remember, it takes time...And after doing it yourself, you realize why body shops get paid the way they do :2eek

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
if you don't have a heat gun to get your decals off you can use a hair dyer and a razor blade. it is time consuming but it works! i have done it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts