Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start performing some of the maintenance on my bike(Dealer wants like $60 to do an oil change and give her a onceover, thats CRAZY!) and was wondering the best way to clean/relube your chain. I work on cars at a dealership, so I have the aptitude and general knowhow, but I wanna make sure I do it right. Thanks for input, even though this is pretty basic stuff.

·
Registered
323 Posts
get a rear wheel stand something that elevates the back wheel so it can spin freely then a can of chain lube i always clean the chain off first removing all the grease ect . but spin the tire so that the chain moves and lightly lube the chain as it goes around after that take a rag and wrap it around the chain spinning the wheel again to wipe off any extra lube. helps if you get the stuff like silkolenes that doesnt fling off.
have fun

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
you don't need a stand to do it. you can just keep rolling the bike forward on a driveway or something. i use Maxima Chain Wax. it doesn't fling off as much. all you do is spray it on, roll the chain forward and repeat. its easy stuff.

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
Just like the guys say. Just spray into the o-rings/x-rings, which is where the linds overlap, and that's pretty much it. I like to wipe the outside of the chain with WD-40 with a rag to keep it looking clean and wipe the rim with WD-40 from the overspray.

Becareful near the sprockets. Don't ever place your fingers near it while trying to rotate the wheel. I almost crunched up mine while trying to lube the fast way ( on the centerstand, motor on, in gear, and running...= crunchy fingers ).

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well My Routine Every 500mi is:

Reapply Motorex Chain Lube with clean Rag after warming the chain up for 5-10 min ride. Work the Chain lube into all the areas of the chain(especially the rollers), and don't overspray. I use the rag to contain the spray in 4-6" sections as I work the lube in the chain. After I do that I go back out for another 5-min ride to work everything in. I sometimes clean my chain with WD40 Before the reapplying lube. But only after riding in the rain.

When needed which is rare now. I use a Moose Chain Scrubber to get the heavy stuff off. But Since I changed my chain I haven't had to yet.

While you Lubing your chain you might as well set the slack and check your sprockets for wear. I typically check for loose fasterners too.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
I will add to lube the chain AFTER you get back from riding, not before. That way the chain is warm and the lube will soak in and the solvent evaporate before the next ride.. Lots less mess that way...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hams51 said:
Just like the guys say. Just spray into the o-rings/x-rings, which is where the linds overlap, and that's pretty much it. I like to wipe the outside of the chain with WD-40 with a rag to keep it looking clean and wipe the rim with WD-40 from the overspray. .

I thought WD-40 was bad for the orings in chains.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
H2Omax1 said:
I thought WD-40 was bad for the orings in chains.
my OE chain lasted 22k using wd-40, so i'd say NO IT's NOT..... :eek:nfloor

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
RACER X said:
my OE chain lasted 22k using wd-40, so i'd say NO IT's NOT..... :eek:nfloor
I had over 18,000 on my OEM chain when I changed it out. the chain was still good but the sprockets were bad. I didn't want to use an old chain with new sprockets so off it went.

I always clean with WD-40 and the lube with Honda's chain lube.

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
A tip I recieved that when applied worked REALLY well:
WD-40 to clean it, I spray it down and let it soak for a few minutes. Then (because I am anal retentive) I scrub all the links with a toothbrush to get the grit, sand and dirt out between the links. Then I wipe it down with a lint free cloth to get all the crap off. Then I will turn the wheel and listen to the sprockets, if I hear dirt "grinding" I'll repeat the process until there is no noise in the sprocket. After I get finished with that, I spray the chain with white lithium grease-GOOD for the O-rings! I let that tack up for about 10 minutes or so, remove any excess and then spray on the chain lube of choice. Allow to tack up for awhile and you won't have to worry about the "flinging". But that's what I do, it's pretty time consuming but I think it's worth it.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
patfitz9 said:
you don't need a stand to do it. you can just keep rolling the bike forward on a driveway or something. i use Maxima Chain Wax. it doesn't fling off as much. all you do is spray it on, roll the chain forward and repeat. its easy stuff.
Wow. You'd need a good sized driveway! I use a Handy rear stand, pretty cheap and makes it a whole lot easier (don't have to have a buddy or you balance the bike while cleaning and lubing)!!

Anyway, here's my drive chain process:

1. Take bike out, get gas, small errand, few miles/minutes to heat up chain.
2. Raise rear bike with rear/front stand, shift trans into N.
3. Use WD-40 (liberally) on chain, wiping with lint free cloth, repeat several times.
4. Toothbrush and water and WD-40 to get rid of all the small grit and sand.
5. Let air dry (probably wash the rest of the bike first).
6. Apply Honda Pro Lube to the chain.

·
Banned
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone, thats pretty much what I was expecting. What about using carb/choke cleaner to clean the chain, heard this one at work today?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think the carb/choke stuff wouldn't do any good for your o-rings, but I suppose it really has to do with what's in the stuff.

Someone here, awhile back, posted a web page of a guy that cleans/lubes his chains ONLY with Maxima and has been doing it that way for years (the guy had all the procedures listed)...I've been doing it for the last couple cleanings and found it very easy and without fling:

Warm up the chain with a short ride. With Maxima and a rag, liberally spray down a section of the chain, blasting all the crud out with the Maxima and rubbing everything down with a rag or brush (use the rag to stop overspray); repeat until the entire chain is done. Let the chain sit for 15-20 minutes and then lightly spritz the entire chain with Maxima again, let sit overnight. The end result is a clean chain with a golden sheen from the Maxima. Thusfar, I've had excellent results and zero fling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
WD-40 is the best for the chain. I never use chain wax or lube period. Straight WD-40 for cleaning and lube. Chain and sprockets are at 17K, very clean and in great shape. Chain lubes and wax attract dirt. Have you not noticed how dirty the chain and sprockets gets after using chain lubes and waxes. You will just end up using a coulple cans of WD-40 a month but hey it is cheap enough and works great. Ask a professional racer and mechanic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts