Sport Bikes banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering in advance for when I get my bike back, it will probably need a bit of additional TLC to get back to mostly uncrashed appearances.

All of the scrapes are just from small stuff like hard packed dirt, a rock or two in the dirt, bark.

I plan to wash, use an applicaiton of meguiar's scratchx on the painted surfaces and use meguiars plastx on the unpainted surfaces, then re-wax, but don't know what to do about the frame/engine.

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
Get some matching engine paint and sandpaper for the engine components, but I doubt you'll be able to get the original finish of the frame with anything except a bead blaster.

Do you have pictures of the specific damage you want to repair?

·
TD Survivor
944 Posts
hey BJ :eek:nfloor ill post some pics of what i need fixed. gonna replace the oil pump cover when i finally fix the rest of the bike but the rest, dont feel like spending 200 for a sub frame, ill fix myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No pictures as the bike is in the shop for the next couple of days, but my damage is nowhere near as bad as redoliander... I mean... hard to explain I guess you'll see when I get it back.

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
Nah, if its painted rubbing compound will just take more paint off.

What you need to do is find a matching color for those engine covers. I used some kind of metallic color used on pickup trucks or something, my dad had it in his shop and the match was absolutely perfect. Unfortunatly I'm at school now and cant go look at the color. Anyways, Get yourself some sandpaper, probably 80 grit to start with, and start sanding out the scratches. Work your way down to finer grit until the texture is about right, then spray it. Follow the directions and dont make the coat thick. This is what I did for one of my engine covers. Of course, you could also take this opportunity to paint the engine covers a different color or polish them up :)

As for the plastic, it is molded in that color. You can probably find a plastic sanding/polishing tutorial on the interweb.

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
killernoodle said:
Nah, if its painted rubbing compound will just take more paint off.
Thats exactly what rubbing compound is supposed to do. That's how it works. That's what Meguiars Scratchx is. You use it to take scratches out of painted automotive finishes. You can buy rubbing compound in different grits to remove scratches of varying severities. You can use it on any painted surface. Wether it will work or not is a different story. If the scratches are too deep then you would have to paint it. I don't know how deep they are so it's hard to say if it will work. I would try compound before going through the trouble of painting. I have taken scratches out of many vehicles with rubbing compound. Here's a link for selecting and using rubbing compounds.

Janvil makes a scratch removal compound for plastics. You can check it out HERE . It's a pretty good product I have used to remove scratches with good results.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you saying ScratchX rubbing compound on the engine/frame might work, too?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
As long as no metal is showing, you can buff the paint to blend it in. With metal showing, bondo and re-paint is the best way.

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
Binary Jay said:
Are you saying ScratchX rubbing compound on the engine/frame might work, too?
You can try it. It is pretty light duty stuff though. You might need to get a heavier grit. You can get the stuff at any autoparts place.

But as segue00 said, if the scratches are real deep or there is alot of metal showing, you will end up having to paint it. I don't know how bad they are without pics so it's hard to say.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's no metal showing, that I saw inspecting the bike before giving it to the stealers. The scratches are very cosmetic surface scrapes but I might get some heavier duty stuff from NAPA anyway. Most of the scratches almost look as if a good scrubbing with detergent will clean them up. I'll post pictures after my initial attempts to clean it up in case you're curious. I'm hoping and fairly confident after discussing with everyone here that other than a couple of the b***** blemishes on the chin fairing, the bike will look as it did pre-ditch-diving.

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
segue00 said:
Rubbing compound will do the trick also. Just apply a liberal amount of wax afterwards.
If it's light scratches it should. Try the scratchx first and then see if you need something heavier if it doesn't work.

You might want to look at replacing some of the parts. It might actually cost about the same after you invest in rubbing compound. I don't know what you need to replace, it's just a thought.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts