Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
11,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since a large portion of the website continues to ride in the winter (providing there's no ice or snow on the road and they're relatively clear of gravel), what do you like the best for winter gear? I figure we can get a good informative thread going since it's getting colder out.

I'm in the market, but trying not to spend an arm and a leg. First on the list is a balaclava and insulated gloves.

· Live to ride
12,016 Posts
Since a large portion of the website continues to ride in the winter (providing there's no ice or snow on the road and they're relatively clear of gravel), what do you like the best for winter gear? I figure we can get a good informative thread going since it's getting colder out.

I'm in the market, but trying not to spend an arm and a leg. First on the list is a balaclava and insulated gloves.
better be careful on that analogy, either way you look at it may cost an arm and a leg.

· Banned
2,164 Posts
I bought a pair of powerlet heated gloves. They are all nice (waterproof/heated) but after riding with them twice I don't think I'll wear them again. They are too thick for my taste and I just can't feel the throttle very well when wearing them. Instead, I found this image on another web page and I'm still trying to figure out what's the exact brand and what exactly do you call these:

Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle accessories Automotive lighting Auto part

I know they look ridiculous but I couldn't care less.

As for the jacket, I'm using Olympia motosports viper mesh jacket and it kept my body pretty worm in the 35F temperatures. As for pants - I still haven't bought any warmer pants :bitchslap

· Registered
997 Posts
aerostich roadcrafter suit.

in earlier days I wore my ski bib and shell over leathers, but now I just use the aerostich and layers. if you have handlebars see if you can mount handguards (like from a v-strom), these make a huge difference in keeping your hands warm. they also make hippo hands but they are kind of cumbersome. and of course heated everything is nice.

· Registered
5,320 Posts
Ok, I'm a cheap bastard and haven't sprung for a full leather suit or something like an Aerostitch suit, but here's what I've used, and it's worked out really well.

Good insulated gloves, mine are Triumph branded (I picked them up as part of a promotion when I bought my Speed Triple).

Balaclava (sp?) is a must, and makes a huge difference in comfort.

As far as cloths, long johns or some type of skin underneath your pants, tucked into your socks to keep the wind from getting to your skin. Regular pants - jeans or heavy weight cargo pants or something. The usual layers on top - long sleeve shirt + sweater. On top of that, I have a full insulated suit, it's a knockoff of a Carhart work suit: Z15302 - Walls Industries, inc. Slips right on over everything. Cost $60 in K-Mart, and was worth every single penny. On top of that, I wear my leather jacket, which helps that it's a little on the large side (I bought it before I lost about 40 lbs). Lots of layers, and I'm good down to 20 degrees.

· Registered
961 Posts
Thermal isn't something I'd call practical for spirited rides or track riding. Under armour cold gear, and the most important thing: a wind blocker. The wind is what makes cold riding absolutely miserable. If you can keep it off of your insulation, then you'll stay warm.

I'll wear a rain suit on the track over my leathers and layer up underneath.

· Registered
589 Posts
I bought a pair of powerlet heated gloves. They are all nice (waterproof/heated) but after riding with them twice I don't think I'll wear them again. They are too thick for my taste and I just can't feel the throttle very well when wearing them. Instead, I found this image on another web page and I'm still trying to figure out what's the exact brand and what exactly do you call these:

View attachment 195246

I know they look ridiculous but I couldn't care less.

As for the jacket, I'm using Olympia motosports viper mesh jacket and it kept my body pretty worm in the 35F temperatures. As for pants - I still haven't bought any warmer pants :bitchslap

Those are QuadBoss hands mitts:

Quadboss Hand Mitts - ATV - Motorcycle Superstore

· Banned
2,164 Posts

· Just Kiss The Tip
3,017 Posts
Any reviews on the Quadboss hand mits?

How well do they work in cold? Would snowboarding gloves with liner work just as well?

I am down to buy some of those quadboss mits at $20 bucks, but I think that may be kinda cheap to offer the type of warmth I need considering everything else gear wise in the sportbike world has proved to be pricy...

I'm thinking about a full winter suit or even a dickies carhart type of overall....they just don't have the abrasion and reflective properites I need.

· Registered
33 Posts
try heated gloves. Insulated gloves are worthless after 10 minutes in ~35 degree weather

First gear makes a good system as does Gerbing
What about the install though? I've been thinking about getting a set of gloves the only install I've seen on heated messed with the clean look (they were attached to the tank).

Otherwise I'm going with insulated gloves. I'm not ready to marr my clean new bike.

· This End Up
1,960 Posts
What about the install though? I've been thinking about getting a set of gloves the only install I've seen on heated messed with the clean look (they were attached to the tank).

Otherwise I'm going with insulated gloves. I'm not ready to marr my clean new bike.
The only install needed for heated clothing is a 'pigtail' connector from the battery; which you should have in any event to hook the bike up to a battery tender.

Heated gear (provided your bike has enough juice to run it - very important) makes cold weather riding so much simpler. You don't have to layer up as much, therefore when the weather warms up while you're on the road you don't have to pull over, take stuff off, and find someplace to stash it.

I've got a full Gerbings setup: jacket liner, pants liner, gloves and socks. Usually I can get by with just the jacket liner, and maybe the gloves. The rest of it comes out only when it's freezing or below.

· Lingerie Bandit
5,625 Posts
I wear Rocky thermal leggings and long sleeve turtle neck shirt (available at wal-mart btw) under my leather jacket and jeans, I also tuck my jeans and leggings into my boots. For socks I wear 100% wool hiking socks that go way up my calves. I also wear a form fitting nylon balaclava, and thinsulate glove liners under my leather gauntlets.

That's it really, when it gets down to the 20's I'll layer a thin track jacket or something over the thermal shirt but that's it. I stay pretty warm at a very cheap price.

· Registered
1,159 Posts
Good gloves (ex. TourMaster/Cortech Scarab winter) & Heated grips
Electric vest (from Gerbings/ Widder/ FirstGear/Tourmaster etc)
FG HT overpants w/ liner (when its cold enough)
FG Kili jacket or TM Transition Series 2 or similar
Silk balaclava when needed

· Part 3 begins
3,666 Posts
heated grips are VERY inferior to heated gloves, dont waste your time. Heated gloves heat from the inside out.

Grips heat from the outside in, and with the transfer from grip to glove to body you are gonna lose ALOT of heat.

· Registered
1,159 Posts
heated grips are VERY inferior to heated gloves, dont waste your time. Heated gloves heat from the inside out.

Grips heat from the outside in, and with the transfer from grip to glove to body you are gonna lose ALOT of heat.
May well be but the riders I know with them won't give em up when the weather turns chilly, they just grin:lao

· Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
The two most important pieces of gear: heated gloves and a balaclava. Everything else can be kept warm by simply layering up. Buy thermal underwear and use it. Heated gloves are vastly superior to heated grips. The wind hits the tops of your fingers, not the bottoms.

try heated gloves. Insulated gloves are worthless after 10 minutes in ~35 degree weather

First gear makes a good system as does Gerbing
Agreed. I have the Gerbing G3s and they're excellent.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.