Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had bt-45s and D205s on the katana last year. This year I have D220s on the FZR. I didn't really like the BT-45s, and the D205s weren't a whole lot better, though they did hold up for a trackday.

I think the D220s are the best I've used yet. I've heard good things about the metzler z4s and z6 roadtecs...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I love my BT010's. I rail on these things just as hard as I have on the Metzler M1's and I have notice no difference. I've dragged my knee with both tires. The biggest difference so far is mileage. The BT's have 2500 miles and a little wear while the M1's would be almost toast by now. I think I'll try a bt020 for the rear next.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been thru 3 sets of BT-020's, 3 sets of Metzler Sportec M-1's (really, 5 rears, two fronts), and now running Michelin Pilot Road. So far, these appear to be the best. The M-1's did have better grip for a track day, but on the street I seem to be able to ride these Road's just as hard. Not one hint of slip, and should be good for over 6,000 miles.

·
Registered
389 Posts
+1 on the bt020. I just changed tires to 020 rear / 010 front and I'm loving it so far. The bt020 slips a bit if you're hard out of the corner, but I had supercorsas before and my riding have become a bit agressive :) Also, the supercorsas made riding in the rain a nightmare! These new tires don't mind the water at all. I ride normally and even when the asphalt is submerged in water, nothing dramatic happens, grip is always there. I fly past cagers slowing down and they look at me like I was nuts :)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I also like the Michelin Pilot Road and 2ndwould be the BT020. Both grip well and wear well.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
I used to use BT 010's on both my bikes (98 Triumph Daytona and 96 Triumph Sprint). I can't complain about the grip or the mileage, but I wasn't happy with the way the fronts "cupped". I am usually pretty good about tire pressure, etc, so I put it down to tread pattern. I know Ken (pixman) had switched to the Pilot Roads, and I figured I would go that way too. Unfortunatly (or fortunatly, not sure yet) my supplier decided Pilot Power was the way I would go this time... they just showed up. Nice tread pattern and "Moto GP derived technology". We'll see how they hold up. It should be a pretty good comparison between Ken's RS and me as long as I can get the mileage in this year ;)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I thought the Pilot Powers were street/track tire?

Please give us a review of them when you can! :)

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
V V V said:
I thought the Pilot Powers were street/track tire?

Please give us a review of them when you can! :)
yeah.... I REALLY wanted the Pilot Roads, but like I say Dave hasn't steered me wrong yet. Michelin says:

The new Michelin Pilot Power is the tire that has the comptition worried. Not only can it achieve a lean angle of more than 50 degrees on dry pavement, but as much as 41.9 degrees in the Wet! With progressive handling even in extreme situations, it offers superb feedback at the limit and maintains stability under hard acceleration. The Pilot Power brings Michelin's competition know-how to the road.

Dave says they heat up better than the Pilot Sports (one of the big complaints) and get better mileage....
we'll see :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
I used to own a Suzu Katana and I put BT020 on them and I loved them to death. They gripped great buy felt very comfortable on the long rides. Never had any complaints with them. The lasted so long I even sold them with the bike!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pixman, what kind of bike and how aggresivly do you ride it to have 6000 miles on those roads?

Anyone know how the d205s/d220s compare to any of these tires? I've never tried 020s, 010s, roads, ect...

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Jackal79 said:
Pixman, what kind of bike and how aggresivly do you ride it to have 6000 miles on those roads?

Anyone know how the d205s/d220s compare to any of these tires? I've never tried 020s, 010s, roads, ect...
here's Ken on the Sprint RS.
he's pretty dog-gone quick (IMO) :D

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Really happy with Pilot Roads after 2000 miles or so. They stick just fine and show almost no wear.

For me, BT010s wear too quickly out back and cup too much out front but I did like the way the felt. Got almost the same mileage with BT020s rear as I got with the BT010 rears.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
stoinkythepig said:
Really happy with Pilot Roads after 2000 miles or so. They stick just fine and show almost no wear.

For me, BT010s wear too quickly out back and cup too much out front but I did like the way the felt. Got almost the same mileage with BT020s rear as I got with the BT010 rears.
ah, another "cupping 010"... glad it's not just me.

·
Registered
251 Posts
6 out of 6 front BT010s cupped (or feathered???) badly on my 9R. 41 PSI minimized the problem and allowed up to 5000 miles of use. 36 PSI and they were toast after 3500 miles (but they sure gripped nicely...) Pilot Roads have no discernable cup yet but I'm running 40 PSI too...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was running BT010's the front cupped badly even though I watch pressure.I have had good luck with avon 45+46 combo,would like to try the New Metzler z6 roadtec.i am running a set of BT020's now ,ok but nothing great,they have grip but not any where as much as the 010's.I am going for the z6 next set

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have a set of pirelli sport demons that I have rode on for about 1500 miles so far and they don't even look like they lost any tread so far. They are smooth and stick pretty well. I will get them again if I keep the same bike.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hey I just got a 020r/010f combo, what is this "cupping" on the 010 everyone's talking about? Not familiar with the term..

·
Registered
18 Posts
bluevfr said:
Hey I just got a 020r/010f combo, what is this "cupping" on the 010 everyone's talking about? Not familiar with the term..
Cupping is when the tire wears so it it looks like little gouges of rubber(cup shaped) have been taken out of the tire.Keep an eye on your pressure in the front and favor the high end,it seems to lessen the cupping on the 10"s.
All front tires(at least all the ones I've used ) will at some point cup,its a matter of how quickly they do it and bt10's seem to do it faster then most.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts