Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm very new to sportbiking and in the market for leathers and other protective gear. :smilierr

since i'm just starting out, I'm willing to spend as much $$ on leathers as it takes to buy the top of the line in safety (and style =)

what do you guys think about one-piece sutis versus just buying a jacket and pants? I know a lot of jackets come w/ zippers so you can connect them to pants; does this work farely well in place of a suit?

i'm attracted to the one-piece suits because of their integrated design (i.e. alpinestare SMX with back armor, knee pads, shin armor etc).

however, i don't intend to cruise on over to the track any time soon.

do any of you wear one-piece suits for riding around the countryside?
is this reasonable based on safety concerns, or just "squiddish" ?? :confused:

or, what about just buying a jacket and pants--probably more practical?
but is the safety there as well? I could always just buy one of those back support/spine armor vests you strap on. only, none of the pants i've found so far have any knee pads/shine armor built-in. :dunno

i've been looking at alpinestar and dainese gear (hard to find, from what I've read), particulary the SMX/SMX airflow and the dainese bora jack.

anyone with these kits want to chime in and post a review?

thanks for taking the time to read this,

~James

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Dainese and Alpinestars definitely aren't bad at all, especially when you get to the top-of-the-line stuff. If you want the best protection though (and looks, if you're creative with your design), get yourself a custom made suit. All the brands fit differently, and nothing will be as comfortable or as protective as a suit made especially for you. Barnacle Bill, Syed, maybe Zooni make the more reasonably priced ones. If you want really top notch stuff, there's Vanson, Z Leathers, BKS (UK), Helimot, and Bates (I'm sure there are more). There are exceptions, but generally I'd say forget about whatever back protector they try to sell you with the suit and get an aftermarket one. Search for the long back protector post by "license2ill" (it's on this forum somewhere) if you need ideas. If you see knee/elbow/shoulder armor that you like somewhere online you can always make the custom manufacturer put that in your suit too instead of their usual stuff but it's a less common request. A two piece will be infinitely more convenient if you're not going to the track or racing, and I think a well-made one shouldn't sacrifice too much safety, if any at all. Besides, if you crash hard enough to rip a good waist zipper apart on the street you've likely got b***** problems than road rash. Oh and any decent one will come with all the same armor as a one piece, so don't worry about that. If you really don't want to bother with custom, take a look at Kushitani and RS Taichi. VERY fine suits, they just don't sponsor as many famous racers or advertise as much as A*/Dainese. But like I said sizing is kind of a toss-up, at least study the sizing charts meticulously if you go this route.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
You can't go wrong with either. Spidi also makes great suits, I have the Hook 2-piece. I say get a 1-piece since they offer more protection and really aren't more of a hassle than a 2-piece anyways (2-piece suits can be a pain in the ass when you get a zipper issue). nig offered good advice though, custom suits are ideal.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Any of the suits mentioned with hard armor will offer great protection. If you can find and fit a standard suit, go for it. A two piece is much more convenient than a one piece. The waist zipper is covered by the jacket flap, so I don't think it will likely fail in a get-off. The only comment I've heard against two piece is that the flap could turn a slide into a tumble if it catches on something. Remote, I think.

If you're looking for the best fit, protection, and style, custom is the only way to go. Both Zooni and Helimot are in my area and make really good custom suits for not much more than a high-end standard. Juan at Zooni is really good to work with (where I got my two piece) as is Helmut at Helimot (a little more expensive I think). In addition to a perfect fit, you get to pick the colors. :D Can't comment on the other custom makers mentioned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts