Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

5,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so let me clarify this a bit, I was born in Ontario (thats in canada for some of you), moved out west to Alberta and as much as i love this country, i'm finding more and more that there is no where in this country that i actually want to live.

Once i get ticketed in my trade next year i'm going to look into getting a visa to go work somewhere in the states and was hoping to get some suggestions as to some places that might work for me. Here's the criteria:

-Not more then 1000 ft above sea level

-Must be near at least 1 international motorsport track where i can do track days/race competitively on both my bike as well as automobiles

-Would preferably like to live 30-45 minutes outside of a descent sized city, but where i could get a descent sized plot of land.

is scenery too much to ask for as well lol? should also mention that im not used to crazy heat, so 4 months of 100 degree temperatures would probably kill me.

any suggestions?

5,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stay in Canadia.
trust me theres lots of reasons not to, should also stipulate, suggestions other then around fresno CA lol, might be an option 3 major race tracks within driving distance

· Valiant Poultry
15,165 Posts
California sucks.

So does New York.

As does Texas.

And Michigan.

· Valiant Poultry
15,165 Posts
Oh yah, you DEFINITELY do not want New Jersey.

Unless your idea of scenery is this guy...

Attachments

5,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
growing up near toronto i have enough of a hate on for jersey to never end up there lol

why would you say cali sucks? honestly everywhere can be shitty, i want scenery, sea level, race tracks, and a nice piece of land. This has got to exist somewhere in north america? or should i look into moving to europe?

· Valiant Poultry
15,165 Posts
No, it does exist in North America...in this place called Canadia...hahahahah...

I would check out Montana, Minnesota, Wisconsin, the Dakotas, and even though I hate it (only because I've been here for 30 years) Michigan.

If you didn't mind the heat, I would say Arizona or Nevada. Washington State might not be too bad.

· Valiant Poultry
15,165 Posts
Obviously "best place" is going to be really subjective.

If your thing is lakes, you can't go wrong with Michigan or Minnesota. If you like skiing, then Colorado is the ticket. If you like great long expanses of plains, go Nebraska or Iowa.

Personally, for me, the best place in the country is Las Vegas...but I wouldn't ever want to LIVE there. Only be there whenever I felt like it. Oh, and can't ever forget Hawai'i.

· runnin dis bish
2,027 Posts
Seattle traffic is worse that San Diego but not as bad as Los Angeles. Scenery is great in WA, and depending on where you live in CA too..

My shortlist of places is NoCal and Salt Lake City with pretty much the same requirements as you.. I've lived in SoCal, and now in Western WA along with a few other places that I would never consider.

5,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If your thing is lakes, you can't go wrong with Michigan or Minnesota. If you like skiing, then Colorado is the ticket. If you like great long expanses of plains, go Nebraska or Iowa.
my thing is racing cars and bikes. Snowboarding and mountains are another love of mine but even being at an elevation of 2300 something feet in edmonton freakin blows, i could feel the power difference when i rode my bike out to the coast and was at sea level.

Having a bit of property and places to go play with toys, so everything from dirtbike/atv trails to major race tracks to go to track days.

has to be vaguely near a major city because i will shortly be a ticketed mobile crane operator, and you either have to be in gas plants or a city to have any work

· Shut the **** up and ride
5,031 Posts
Funny thing is, northern NJ would be perfect for you.

You can get anything from 1-100+ acres up there, has great twisties, is roughly 2 hours from Pocono Raceway, Monticello Raceway, and NJMP, and is about 1hour from NYC and Philly. It has awesome quad/dirtbike trails up there, also lots of 'mudding' for offroad buggies and trucks if your into that. Plus the summer is usually high 80s and low 90s, its a bit humid though.

As much as everyone hates on Jersey, its really not too bad.

But if you have this hate for it, then PA would be my second suggestion. Lots of land and lots of space for 'playing with toys'. Eastern part is closer to Philly and NYC, also Harrisburg and Easton, while western part is close to Pittsburgh and Ohio.

· Registered
1,384 Posts
my thing is racing cars and bikes. Snowboarding and mountains are another love of mine but even being at an elevation of 2300 something feet in edmonton freakin blows, i could feel the power difference when i rode my bike out to the coast and was at sea level.

Having a bit of property and places to go play with toys, so everything from dirtbike/atv trails to major race tracks to go to track days.

has to be vaguely near a major city because i will shortly be a ticketed mobile crane operator, and you either have to be in gas plants or a city to have any work
northern california?
i live in a small town called susanville
mt rose is about an 1:45 away
thunderhill raceway is about 2:45 away
reno-fernley raceway is about 2 hrs away
reno nevada is 1:15 away
toonnsss of mountain trails, places to explore, lakes etc
lots of property available

· Premium Member
2,028 Posts
and in NJ your pay would probably be anywhere from 20%-300% more depending on what trade and what you comparing it to(more money for trackdays)

· Registered
3,553 Posts
Bergen County NJ or Rockland County NY

30 mins from NYC, an hour from the beach, an hour from the "mountains", 3 hrs from NJMP. not too hot, not too cold. not as fast as the city, but not as slow as the country.

· Registered
9,616 Posts
hhhmmm ... san diego.

i hated it when i first came here b/c i'm from north carolina and the lifestyles, values, opinions, etc. of NC and California are nowhere close. but after almost 5 years here, i kind of like it. the weather is unbelievable, you can ride almost everyday of the year; close to tracks; tons of canyons to ride; and the sportbike community here is HUGE.

the downfalls are restaurants aren't that great, it is kind of expensive here, and most of the building are outdated.

5,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can get anything from 1-100+ acres up there, has great twisties, is roughly 2 hours from Pocono Raceway, Monticello Raceway, and NJMP, and is about 1hour from NYC and Philly.
pocono is a circle track and doesnt do anything for me but NJMP and monticello both look awesome. I'm not as familiar as i'd care to be with tracks in the states so thats part of why i ask.

I'll look into some of the towns around there as well as in eastern PA, did a bit of commercial driving through there and really loved that state so theres definitely some potential there.

As for NoCal there is
-cant find a website for mt rose
-thunderhill looks like a descent track, i could definitely see me eating shit here lol, blind off camber corners at high speeds
reno-fernley looks epic

and lets not forget infineon, auto club speedway are near NoCal. Laguna Seca isn't too far and miller motorsport park is a driveable distance for sure.

Some big points for NoCal if i can find steady work. Near jersey would be great for work, puts me closer to friends and family in ontario, and has some descent tracks as well.

These two seem to be the most popular options, any and all comments welcome, so does the rest of the united states blow monkeys nuts?

5,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
they have motorcycle roadracing at poconos and beaver run
ah didnt realize they have an infield course that they run on, thats pretty cool. Those two area's are seeming like the best bet as far as racing and general area goes.

any other suggestions?

· Registered
1,384 Posts
pocono is a circle track and doesnt do anything for me but NJMP and monticello both look awesome. I'm not as familiar as i'd care to be with tracks in the states so thats part of why i ask.

I'll look into some of the towns around there as well as in eastern PA, did a bit of commercial driving through there and really loved that state so theres definitely some potential there.

As for NoCal there is
-cant find a website for mt rose
-thunderhill looks like a descent track, i could definitely see me eating shit here lol, blind off camber corners at high speeds
reno-fernley looks epic

and lets not forget infineon, auto club speedway are near NoCal. Laguna Seca isn't too far and miller motorsport park is a driveable distance for sure.

Some big points for NoCal if i can find steady work. Near jersey would be great for work, puts me closer to friends and family in ontario, and has some descent tracks as well.

These two seem to be the most popular options, any and all comments welcome, so does the rest of the united states blow monkeys nuts?
Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe - Tahoe's Highest Base Resort, Closest to Reno.
theres also northstar
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...thstar&usg=AFQjCNGYzx2i3wlhW9FJEg6lGa8z4htMiQ
and heavenly, which is AMAZING
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...avenly&usg=AFQjCNGKJ6APac_CHVe7VLgxpdDDAFnTwg
and theres a few others...boreal, sugarbowl etc

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.