Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i'm due for an oil change and i just wanted to get a check on what oil is the best to use?

i have a 2000 ninja 500 is that makes any difference

i went to the dealership and they recommended i use "repsol moto 4T synthetic", its 10W-50 and rather expensive ($10 a quart)...should 3 quarts be enough?

also paid $14 for an oil filter

is this all....normal?

·
Registered
475 Posts
there's already another thread just like this one in these forums, but i'll throw my two cents in anyway. IMO, $10 a quart is a total rip off, especially for a 500cc bike. Go to walmart and pick up your favorite auto oil. Just make sure the kind you get doesn't say 'Energy Conserving' on the back. I dunno the capacity of a ninja 500, but 4 quarts should be plenty.

As for the oil filter, anything you have to order from a dealer is going to be expensive, even oil filters. Not much you can do there except buy a non-factory brand part like an Emgo filter.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I alwasy use Golden Spectro. just my choice...

·
Registered
569 Posts
You can never go wrong with Mobil 1.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
I've basically used them all, and I've come to really appreciate the qualities of ELF motor oil. I had never seen it available before I came here to Italy, it's a French made oil, and I don't even know if it's for sale in the US. The going price is 14 euro per litre, which is about $18. Military here gets "oil coupons" and it costs 2 oil coupons to get one L of ELF, the two coupons cost $9 together, so yeah, still almost $10 a litre

·
Registered
987 Posts
Mykl said:
You can never go wrong with Mobil 1.
Same here use the car oil no problems with the clutch and I have ben using it on 1000's for years.

·
Registered
681 Posts
a. You don't need synthetic in that bike...get regular dino-oil(non energy conserving, Tech 2000 at wal-mart...88 cents/qt.)

b.$10 for a filter...you were just robbed of $6.50! I payed $3.40/filter just yesterday at Fleet-farm.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Been a believer in Mobil 1 for years. It has a warning on the can that some oil bath clutches may slip (err a indicator of how slippery it is mabe?) and on everything from My Gixx to my Z-28's it rocked big time. Lets say this, when I changed oil in a brand new Z-71 truck at 5,000 miles did nuthin else just changed from the factory fish stick juice to Mobil 1 the idle went up by over 500 rpm until the computer finally learned to compensate for the slipperyness..... like usin a quart of KY instead of spit.... get the drift? It's slick. :D :D

Slick means less wear, more beans. Need I say more? :lol :lol

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
A lot of people use Mobil 1 red cap 15W50 which is for cars. Mobil 1 also makes a 10W40 specifically for motorcycles, which likely costs as much as the Repsol stuff. I honestly don't think that for most riders it matters much what you put in there so long as you check/change it regularly. I'm also using Rotella synthetic at the moment.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Motul 5100 here, seems pretty good so far.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ask frodaddy996 what he uses for lube on Sat. nights!! :D

Seriously, you can use the search, it is your friend. I use only Amsoil synth, tried golden spectro but the clutch and tranny worked like shite and the typical vtwin knock only got louder by a factor of 3. Never switching again!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Can't go wrong with Mobil 1 15W-50.......19.88 for a 5 quart jug at WalMart. Just changed my oil at about 2500 and the oil still looked brand new.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts