Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

So I just bought a bike recently and am obviously in the market for new gear. I've been riding dirt for over 6 years, but stepping up to street will be new for me. I just went to a CycleGear store and bought some stuff, but after reading the reviews on Bilt quality I decided to return most of it.

So now I'm looking for a new jacket and gloves that offer good protection and such for the money. I'm not a big guy, probably 5'7" 135 lbs. or so. Was just interested in the community's thoughts. I've heard some good things about ICON equipment, and Joe Rocket is about as name-brand as it gets. Thanks for any help!

Cheers :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
If you're lucky you can get your size on a closeout jacket. Just curious, why did you set your limit at $250? Most of the jackets in that range that aren't closeouts look like vintage jackets (at least on Revzilla). This AGV jacket looks pretty good if you want a perforated one, but you have to be willing to stretch up to $270 before tax (shipping is free on this site at that value).

edit: can't get the link to Revzilla to work due to brackets in the URL.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Hard to find good leather gear at those prices. Instead, look for good textile jackets. They are cheaper, and a good textile jacket is better than a cheap leather one. Textile jackets are usually more convertible, there are liners you can add or remove, vents you can open and close, and they are more waterproof.

I didn't get my first leather jacket until I had been riding a few years. I still wear textile in the winter.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: Menotomy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're lucky you can get your size on a closeout jacket. Just curious, why did you set your limit at $250? Most of the jackets in that range that aren't closeouts look like vintage jackets (at least on Revzilla). This AGV jacket looks pretty good if you want a perforated one, but you have to be willing to stretch up to $270 before tax (shipping is free on this site at that value).

edit: can't get the link to Revzilla to work due to brackets in the URL.
It was kind of just the limit I'm looking for. I'm not trying to spend too much on stuff, just graduated (got bills and that type of stuff...)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Yes, and I meant to include a link for that, thanks. The one I was having trouble with was the leather jackets, showing only men's leather, and sorted by price low to high. Whatever script they are using inserts brackets into the URL which screws up the forum's auto-link parser (the one that replaces the raw URL with the webpage title).

Hard to find good leather gear at those prices. Instead, look for good textile jackets. They are cheaper, and a good textile jacket is better than a cheap leather one. Textile jackets are usually more convertible, there are liners you can add or remove, vents you can open and close, and they are more waterproof.

I didn't get my first leather jacket until I had been riding a few years. I still wear textile in the winter.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I agree. Two of my three 2pc suits are textile. One textile/mesh (for summer commuting), one hi-viz textile (for winter/rain), and one leather/mesh hybrid (for non-commuting fun rides, except in the winter when I don't do those as much and just wear my hi-viz). I don't have an all-leather jacket yet, and I'm not sure I really need one just for the street.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just kind of another thought, is the BILT leather stuff really as bad as they say it is?
It's not TERRIBLE, but not great - I had the leather track jacket, whatever it's called, for about a month, but returned it and exchanged for the Dainese Mugello, which I still have, years later. (even been through a get off at speed in it)

The BILT wasn't awful, but the leather feels "cheap". I returned it because of the chintzy zippers more than anything - the tab broke off the main zipper pull after 4 weeks of riding.

At the time, the Dainese jacket was $389 on sale and absolutely worth it. FWIW, the "Sedici" jackets Cycle Gear sells are of higher quality than the BILT. My local store had a bunch of the older sedici leather jackets + pants for ridiculous clearance - like $80 for the jacket.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Hi all.

So I just bought a bike recently and am obviously in the market for new gear. I've been riding dirt for over 6 years, but stepping up to street will be new for me. I just went to a CycleGear store and bought some stuff, but after reading the reviews on Bilt quality I decided to return most of it.

So now I'm looking for a new jacket and gloves that offer good protection and such for the money. I'm not a big guy, probably 5'7" 135 lbs. or so. Was just interested in the community's thoughts. I've heard some good things about ICON equipment, and Joe Rocket is about as name-brand as it gets. Thanks for any help!

Cheers :)
Cheap gear is far, far better than no gear.

Don't be afraid to buy used gear. You can find some pretty incredible deals on Craigslist or some motorcycle forums that have active classifieds (like advrider.com). I'd rather buy a high quality used piece rather than a brand new low-end piece of gear.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Look on craigslist. I bought a 2 piece Joe Rocket suit with full armour in mint condition for $250.....I'm sure you'll be able to find a good brand name jacket for $250 or less.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just kind of another thought, is the BILT leather stuff really as bad as they say it is?
Mostly what you usually hear about Bilt leather gear is stuff like zippers/buttons/velcro etc coming loose. Personally I have never yet heard about how they didn't hold up in a crash. So I say if that's what you can presently afford, I'm sure you would rather crash in Bilt gear than no gear at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts