Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been too cheap with my glove purchases, and they are the weak link in my gear at the moment. I have some MotoGP ones, but the closures don't give me too much faith that the gloves would stay on in a get-off.

So I am looking for a new pair of gloves, something preferably with dual closures on the wrist, good protection for the knuckles and back of the hand, along with good abrasion protection in the palm.

I know for about $50 more I could get Held Phantoms, but I would prefer to keep it under $200; even better if they are around $150.

They don't need to be waterproof or have thermal inserts for the cold, just looking for the best protection for the price.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I vote for Alpinestars GP Plus.

I've only got about 300 miles on mine so far, but I really dig 'em.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was considering the A* GP Plus, along with these:

Cortech Adrenaline
JR Speedmaster 7.0
RS Taichi GP WRX
Sidi Power
Spidi Race Vent

All of these got high marks in Sport Rider's recent issue where they reviewed gloves.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ :drool

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
The Held Akiras are only $219 shipped, also from SBTG

·
Vroom Vroom?
668 Posts
I have these

Icon Merc Long Motorcycle Gloves :: New Enough, LTD

I was actually recommended by this forum to try these gloves out. Do a search the topics should come up.

a lot of people bash icons yet praise these gloves, I would say its one of there better quality ones. They have held up well to close to year now without any fading or ripping or anything.

Hope that helped

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have these

Icon Merc Long Motorcycle Gloves :: New Enough, LTD

I was actually recommended by this forum to try these gloves out. Do a search the topics should come up.

a lot of people bash icons yet praise these gloves, I would say its one of there better quality ones. They have held up well to close to year now without any fading or ripping or anything.

Hope that helped
I looked at the TiMax gloves from Icon. Not the armored knuckle ones but the newer ones with Ti plates on the sides of the gauntlet and across the back of the knuckles. Those looked to be pretty decent, and I found them for $105.

Right now the best deal I found was Cortech Adrenalines for $100. They got just as high of marks as the Helds in the new issue of Sport Rider. I don't doubt the Pentas are better protection, and may last for more than one get off where the others wouldn't.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking at these two at the moment:

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts

·
Man on a Mission
374 Posts
The Held Akiras are only $219 shipped, also from SBTG
I'll second these...though I have the Held Phantoms (which @ STG are $279.95), Held make very, very good gloves. :cheers

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm also looking for gloves...I bought (online) a set of A* GP Plus in 3XL and they're waaaaay too small for my hand, which is a size 10 1/2. It seems like glove sizing is all over the map between manufacturers with no consistency.

I'm now thinking of a set of RS Taichi GP WRX/GP Max or Held Thrux/Akiras. The Helds seem to come in big sizes (up to 12) but I'm really digging the RS as well. Anyone with big mitts like mine have either? Thoughts, feelings, suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ended up with the Cortech Adrenaline gloves for $75. Had I not found such a good deal. I likely would have gone with something else. The gloves seem solid though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I bought a pair of Held Thrux gloves in a size 10 (XL) using the size chart on New Enough's web site. I was tenative on keeping them, as they seemed a bit tight, but committed to breaking them in and they're great!

If you're interested in the Held Thrux, I'd recommend using the size chart on New Enough and Sportbike Track Gear web sites. These charts should get you really close for sizing. New Enough will let you order multiple sizes and return the size(s) you don't want; you'll have to pay for shipping of the gloves you're returning, but you can at least do a side by side comparison.

I've also tried on the Cortech Adrenaline gloves...nice product at a nice price, but don't have any ride time with them. For my hand, I need a XXL in Cortech (throwing this out for comparison sake).

Good luck with the search!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I bought a pair of Held Thrux gloves in a size 10 (XL) using the size chart on New Enough's web site. I was tenative on keeping them, as they seemed a bit tight, but committed to breaking them in and they're great!

If you're interested in the Held Thrux, I'd recommend using the size chart on New Enough and Sportbike Track Gear web sites. These charts should get you really close for sizing. New Enough will let you order multiple sizes and return the size(s) you don't want; you'll have to pay for shipping of the gloves you're returning, but you can at least do a side by side comparison.

I've also tried on the Cortech Adrenaline gloves...nice product at a nice price, but don't have any ride time with them. For my hand, I need a XXL in Cortech (throwing this out for comparison sake).

Good luck with the search!

Thanks...yeah, I've tried those charts....my hand is an XXL in Held gloves....I'm now leaning towards those as it now seems the RS Taichi may be too small for me. I wish there was somewhere local where I could try them on!!!

Might even splurge on a set of Phantoms if I can find a killer deal!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts