Sport Bikes banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Ride.
940 Posts
Uhh, 87 unleaded. Same stuff you'd put in a car.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
yeah, it's cool. And it's more expensive than 87. 'Jetted' means nothing to octane. Unless you've somehow bumped compression, stick with the recommended octane. Anything more is just a waste, and might actually make less power.

Most highly modified AMA Superbikes use VP racing fuels MR9 or MR10. Octanes ranging from around 91-92 (R+M)/2.
http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp_01_fuels.html

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Shell 93 or 89...

Chevron...spotty but 93 seems to be the best.

Valero...great gas...89 or 93.

Sorry, just can't resist a debate about gas.

If you can find and old Sunoco station you can get Ethanol Free gas, which means 100% goodness....0% corn con based engine destroying crap.

·
Ride.
940 Posts
Anything 93 or 89 in that bike will simply be a waste of money. Why would you want to use a higher octane? Do you think its gonna make your bike faster?:eek:nfloor

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Why would it burn cleaner? It's more likely to burn less completely.

Just run what's recommended. Nothing else is needed or useful, unless you've bumped cylinder pressure or have an older bike with carbon deposits.

Higher octane is just more resistance to knock, or detonation. You shouldn't have these problems in a newer bike running the recommended octane.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
jk750 said:
yeah, it's cool. And it's more expensive than 87. 'Jetted' means nothing to octane. Unless you've somehow bumped compression, stick with the recommended octane. Anything more is just a waste, and might actually make less power.

Most highly modified AMA Superbikes use VP racing fuels MR9 or MR10. Octanes ranging from around 91-92 (R+M)/2.
http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp_01_fuels.html
I'll just stick with the 89 then.
What MPG are should I expect from this bike?

I wont make you wait till next week for the Oil, don't worrie.

So here it goes, what oil are you guys using, according to hot and cooler weather. I'm in Michigan so we go from -5 to the 90s. Coldest riding weather I'm guessing would be around 40s, or we would have snow.

·
Ride.
940 Posts
Eyetattoo said:
No but it makes the bike burn cleaner and less chance of detonation.
How 'bout if you don't know what octane does, you don't respond on the subject.

·
Registered
579 Posts
i have a K7 750 and run 91
manual shows min octane at 90

plus its hot has hell in AZ so i use the highest i can get without spending $5-$6 bucks a gallon for pump 101

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
jk750 said:
^^^
Pssst... You are signed onto SBN, in case you forgot. :lol

you mean not everyone knows what they're talking about here??????

aaahh, shit ... i'm off to another forum. :D

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
The AMA weighs in on the dangers of higher ethanol ratios

Posted Jul 6th 2007 3:02PM by Jeremy Korzeniewski
Filed under: Ethanol, On Two Wheels

There is a movement in Minnesota right now that is looking to the EPA for approval to adopt a 20 percent ethanol blend as a replacement for standard fare gasoline. This has prompted the American Motorcyclist Association to question whether or not the effects of running higher ethanol ratios in motorcycle engines might pose the risk of inadvertently damage the engine. They wonder if sufficient testing has been done to assure that there will be no problems. While the AMA is focusing solely on motorcycles, the question would apply to any internal combustion engines which were not designed to be used with an alcohol fuel. As you may be aware, certain rubber components inside an engine might not be compatible with alcohol, and certain metal components might also be a concern.

This would be a concern outside the state of Minnesota as well, because when one state gets a waiver, others are free to follow suit. This is why California's more stringent emissions requirements have been adopted in other states as well. Currently, gasoline sold to consumers can contain up to 10 percent ethanol.
Since ethanol raises octane...

Sine the AMA people know more about gas than everyone here put together.

Think again.:rolleyes

·
NO LAG !!!
1,255 Posts
E85 is where it's at and it's cost effective but, mpg will be greatly reduced. I use it and E85 is don't quote me but, as knock resistant as 101. It also would be wise to upgrade your fuel system but, stock will work flawlessly for awhile. Other than that possibly more frequent oil changes because it's corrosive. The AMA knows what they are doing by trying to keep maintenance down for privateers and keep whp down because with technology every year bikes get faster. It's really not a big concern but, the way some people do very poor maintenance and say it's a Honda won't be happy. No offense to all whom this applies to but, you know who you are.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.