Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what do you guys recommend to use when storing car's Motorcycles/ATV's Mowers and all other Gas Powered Equipment 2 and 4 cycle? Some of these items will be sitting for 6 Plus Months before the fuel is all used up.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I've used Startron, it seems to work pretty good in the bike, though my bike never really sits for very long anyway. A good method if you're not going to empty the tank is to keep the tank filled to the brim. That way there is less air inside the tank to react with the ethanol in the gas and cause it to separate and turn into water.

For my power equipment, I just get the tank empty before I put it away. Leave a tiny bit in the bottom of the tank and the fuel lines so the lines don't dry out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can not get any gas with out ethanol any where close to me unless I get AV GAS or Race fuel.

I don't tend to have storage issues either, But I do hear a lot of stories of people that do so figured Id Try and avoid any.

My Z 28 Sat for 8 Years and it fired up like I parked it yesterday.

I always leave the tanks full, I will look into Lucas, They have a lot of good stuff.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Startron works well (has a small amount of Techron in it)

Startron marine works even better

Techron works better yet

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Joe Gibbs racing and Lucas look pretty good.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
I've used Startron, it seems to work pretty good in the bike, though my bike never really sits for very long anyway. A good method if you're not going to empty the tank is to keep the tank filled to the brim. That way there is less air inside the tank to react with the ethanol in the gas and cause it to separate and turn into water.

For my power equipment, I just get the tank empty before I put it away. Leave a tiny bit in the bottom of the tank and the fuel lines so the lines don't dry out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
WTF?! Sorry, alcohol doesn't separate and turn to water. Alcohol absorbs water, water that condenses out of the air onto cold metal gas tanks. (Plastic gas tanks don't have near the problem with this.) That is why you top your tank off. Not only does the water rust the inside of the tank, it settles to the bottom of the tank and guess what gets sucked into your fuel system in the spring?

Stabil here and have never had a problem in the spring. First tank of gas doesn't run the best but by then, it doesn't last long if you get my drift...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Easy, ride all winter. Or use Stabil.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I know stabil works, but I had noticed that my bikes and even old muscle car ran crappy with it in the tanks. Seems like the Lucas works well too, without affecting the engines performance after.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Stabilizer isn't necessary if you ensure the storage is reasonably air-tight, since the main issue is volatility. So top off the tank and attach a plastic bag to the vent tube(s) so remaining gases can expand and contract with temperature, without allowing outside moisture in.

I've had gas in a gas can for years on end that worked perfectly fine because it was kept air-tight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts