Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Writer of Wrongs
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '03 ZX-7R. I will soon be past my 1500 mile break in and am looking at full systems. The obvious answers are Muzzy's and Akarapovic, but before I spend upwards of a thousand dollars I want to here from others.

·
Registered
39 Posts
plurry said:
I just bought a '03 ZX-7R. I will soon be past my 1500 mile break in and am looking at full systems. The obvious answers are Muzzy's and Akarapovic, but before I spend upwards of a thousand dollars I want to here from others.

Micron baby. Titanium. Full system.

Attachments

·
Writer of Wrongs
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why Micron? I must admit while cruising the net I came across some good arguments for Micron.

·
Registered
475 Posts
i'd be curious to see what those Micron serpent headers can do. in general though, i'd say pick whatever reputable name you want to see on your end can that fits your budget. most of the well known systems are probably going to be within a few horsepower/torque of each other anyway. that is, unless you have a huge pocketbook and an open invite to spend countless hours on a dyno - then i'd say try as many as you can and pick the best one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
pipes

i would suggest getting a akrapovic,if you can afford to spend that type of money.if not,then get a muzzy.both pipes are proven from the race testing to get the most power from your motor.they both come with easy to follow instructing and the hardware to do it yourself,if your looking to go the route.try to avoid commerical pipes,shop for shiz thats been tested,get ya moneys worth.show pipes are just what you see''pretty''.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was recently in the market for a system for my ZX-10. I ended up getting the Muzzy full CF system and couldn't be happier. I had a Muzzy Ti slip-on for the first 1000 miles then went with the full CF system. Fit & finish are great, not to mention that Muzzy sound. As an added bonus I picked up an extra 16HP over just the slip on. Had a CF on my ZX-9 for years and loved it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have just got an akrapovic for mine after taking ages to decide & trying to find out how to get a muzzy in the UK.
I still haven't got round to fitting it yet but just looking at it in the box i know i have made the correct choice,it really is quality & if it's performance you are after i don't think there is much of an option.
Don't forget that there are 3 akrapovic systems available(in the UK) and i have heard that if you do want power you have to get the race conicle system as the cheapest one does not give such an increase.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ran both of those exhaust on my ZX9R and a Micron. I only ran Slip-on's. I put each pipe on the dyno. 00 ZX9R with a Muzzy CF slip-on 139.4 HP. 02 ZX9R with the Akra 137.5 HP. 02 ZX9R with the Micron 133.8 HP (Dyno in the High Desert Willow Springs) I think if I did the dyno at sea level it would have been close to the Akra. Good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
605 Posts
There is nothing like a Kawi with a muzzy. The sound and performance when the two meet are awesome.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't have a kawi, but are you just looking for sound/weight/looks? Those Microns seem to bee pretty heavy. I think the one they used for that Sport Rider comparo; the slip on weighed like 10.5 pounds. Are the headers "beefy" as well?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Depends on what you are looking for. I personally ride with a LARGE group of guys and I wanted to stand out with the sound of my bike, so I bought a full D&D system. It is loud and throaty and will turn the head of any chick in sound range. BUT, if you want the best performance, get a matched exhaust Muzzy. For the $ its the best there is.

99% of the people on this forum chose their pipes because:

1- Its all they could afford
2- They thought it looked cool.
3- Its all their local dealer carried.

Whle looks are important, don't settle for a crap Yoshi pipe.

My opinion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts