Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal - most aftermarket SS brake line kits use two near-equal lines run directly from each caliper to the MC, so I've never had a choice to make before. However, I'm looking at Hel lines, and for my ZX-14 they have three different line configurations available:

1) The aforementioned two line direct MC-caliper configuration
2) The stock configuration, which is a single line MC-right caliper, and a second over-the-fender line to the left caliper
3) A "Y" configuration, single line MC-junction block, then two short lines to either caliper

Now, theoretically, it shouldn't matter how you run the lines; thanks to the miracle of hydraulics the entire system sees the same pressure. In the real world; however, I'm thinking that configuration 2 may be preferable, simply because it provides the shortest total hose length; so whatever percent of expansion there is will occupy less volume/travel. It also has the advantage of simpler hose routing since I can use all the stock mounting points.

Comments, opinions, dirty remarks? :eatpop

KeS

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
That splitter in the stock set-up and the Y set-up is what I try to eliminate. My experience has been that they can trap air and can be difficult to bleed. Also, with the splitter or Y, you have more connections...more possible leaks/problems.

I believe the best set up is a dbl-banjo at the MC and separate line to each caliper.

You should use what you feel most comfortable with.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The double banjo @ the MC is incredibly easy to bleed - when I put my lines on, it probably took 20 minutes of total bleeding time (for both lines).

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
I have 'y' fitting a behind the headlight and two symmetrical lines running down to each caliper. They came SS from the factory so i have no plans to replace them. i would however prefer the two lines off of the MC. fewer parts, fewer seals. my least favorite, for aesthetic reasons, is the one line down and one over the fender. I like symmetry.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have 'y' fitting a behind the headlight and two symmetrical lines running down to each caliper. They came SS from the factory so i have no plans to replace them. i would however prefer the two lines off of the MC. fewer parts, fewer seals. my least favorite, for aesthetic reasons, is the one line down and one over the fender. I like symmetry.
Well, it's true my bike turns right better than left, and I'm sure the asymmetric weight of the stock line setup is why, so I'll take that into account. :eek:nfloor

Tx for the feedback, guys. I'll report back once I've installed whichever lines I get.

KeS

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
Well, it's true my bike turns right better than left, and I'm sure the asymmetric weight of the stock line setup is why, so I'll take that into account. :eek:nfloor

Tx for the feedback, guys. I'll report back once I've installed whichever lines I get.

KeS

it's not so much the weight as it is the extra wind resistance. i hear at ~600mph it will cause the bike to veer to the right slightly. it's definatly a safety issue you should be concerned about :lao

·
the joke is in your hand
8,588 Posts
do the 2 line deal. it's easier to install and less hoses etc..I've read in a mag this is the prefered method of installation for racing applications. can't remember why, but it does (as they said) make a difference. I think it was something to do with being more of a direct link to the caliper. (don't quote me).

·
Registered
9 Posts
all bike brakes carries all the different layouts of brake lines i got the 2 line race style i think its the most simple kit to use and install. check it out here is the link i also purchased the HEL brake line kit they seem to bee a little better looking then the rest and are D.O.T approved. All Bike Brakes - Motorcycle Brakes and Brake Lines Custom brake lines

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
So...what did you put on?

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A Hel three-line kit that follows the stock hose routing for the ZX-14. That was more important to me than running double-direct lines. Everytime I get away from a stock configuration I just run into hassles - in this case it would have been that there's not enough clearance at the MC to install a double banjo without slamming the bolt into the tank at full lock.

KeS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts