Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gotta buy some anti virus software for my home pc but dont want to spend a crapload of $$$. What software is the best? What do you people use?

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Its not so much the Viruses these days, its the damn spyware fucking shit up. Norton 2005 has worked for me so far, even dealing with spyware.
System suite works as well.
when your homepage changes on its own....and it wont change back...ur in deep caca.

·
retired from here
4,122 Posts
beowulf2k said:
when your homepage changes on its own....and it wont change back...ur in deep caca.
That "about blank" crap got to one of my lap tops and now it will not even start up with out locking up. I have just been to lazy to mess with it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I use avg free for virus, ad aware and spybot for spyware, and zone alarm for firewall and have not had any problems and best of all they are all free.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
I can say one thing.... it aint anything made by norton..... I work at a spyware removal site. Spyware has gotten much worse in the last year, and lately it has been incorparting viruses into it.... Still anything norton should be avoided. Sorry BW, just my semi pro opinion, Ive seen far more people with problems from norton than without.... Glad it worked for you!

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
kman458 said:
That "about blank" crap got to one of my lap tops and now it will not even start up with out locking up. I have just been to lazy to mess with it.
Well the startup can probably be fixed by inserting a windows xp cd, boot the laptop to from CD and go to the install. Once windows loads up it will give you an option to install or repair windows.
Click on repair.
the Dos prompt will come up and show you the windows directory with a number on the left (usually 1)
put the number one next to the prompter and you will come up to the C: drive.
from there you can type "help" and a list of menu words will scroll alphabetically from a-z
at the prompter, (granted you are at :c\) type in "chkdsk /r" (no exclamation points) and hit enter.
from there the chkdsk will reload or repair all the damaged files, once it completes (which will take a while) it will tell you whether it fixed or repaired files.
reboot and boot from hard drive and windows should come up.
Once windows comes up you can install spybot and adware and run them, maybe it will help.

I can say one thing.... it aint anything made by norton..... I work at a spyware removal site. Spyware has gotten much worse in the last year, and lately it has been incorparting viruses into it.... Still anything norton should be avoided. Sorry BW, just my semi pro opinion, Ive seen far more people with problems from norton than without.... Glad it worked for you!
I agree KH, I personally dont like Norton, it really isnt dependable, but shit I almost dont have a choice. got any suggestions? Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I'm a fan of PCcillin from Trend Micro. http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/personal.htm
It includes Spyware protection and is good on a home network (you can even get a 3 PC license for a discount).
It doesn't take over my damn computer like Norton would (I pretty much consider Norton to be its own brand of virus).

·
Crunnnnnnnnnnnnchy
3,067 Posts
Norton Sucks

Get AVAST! its FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I have a corporate laptop...every time i get a virus, norton crashes, avast cleans the virus, then norton works again... go-effin-figure.

·
Registered
183 Posts
pc repair utilities

For all of the computers here I use ::Avast for anti virus, Ad Aware for spyware and Sygate for a firewall and they are all free and so far do a very good job for me and the family.

·
My fanclub is here
1,918 Posts
Krazy Hawaiian said:
Through years of designing and building systems I've never seen anything as bad as Norton except maybe AOL when it comes to wrecking an OS. Complete crap. AOL software has improved but Norton fights every step of the way if you ever uninstall it. Both leave trash hidden everywhere. With that exception I find any scanner is good as long is it has:
1.Constant updates.
2.Scans ALL network transactions including cookies, scripting etc.
3.Can clean a virus from the OS.
4.Does not use a lot of resources (like Norton).

Kerio personal firewall is great and free. Not highly configurable. I use a corporate version of mcafee for net and local scanning plus Microsoft's new antispyware and frequent scans with Adaware. I usually install AGV free on a new user's comp as it can update itself and scan without their input.

·
retired from here
4,122 Posts
beowulf2k said:
Well the startup can probably be fixed by inserting a windows xp cd, boot the laptop to from CD and go to the install. Once windows loads up it will give you an option to install or repair windows.
Click on repair.
the Dos prompt will come up and show you the windows directory with a number on the left (usually 1)
put the number one next to the prompter and you will come up to the C: drive.
from there you can type "help" and a list of menu words will scroll alphabetically from a-z
at the prompter, (granted you are at :c\) type in "chkdsk /r" (no exclamation points) and hit enter.
from there the chkdsk will reload or repair all the damaged files, once it completes (which will take a while) it will tell you whether it fixed or repaired files.
reboot and boot from hard drive and windows should come up.
Once windows comes up you can install spybot and adware and run them, maybe it will help.
Thanks for the help. The little laptop has 98 on it so the fix was a little different I was able to get it to run long enough to get the virus' fixed. I have anti- virus, spybot and ad ware on it now so with any luck it will not happen again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts