Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had ever ridden on a bent rim. Should it be ok as long as the tire isn't losing pressure? And is there a way I could bend the rim out?

Thanks!!

·
Aww cinnamon an' gravy!
107 Posts
Well if its aluminum its not a good idea to bend it back take it to a pro, aluminum looses integrity when its bent back to place, you need really high temps and special tools. I have a bent rim too so im interested as well...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
no! my front is bent to bad. it has that bump to it. if it is to bad it can damage the walls of your tire. im waiting on a set that is supposed to come in this week. get it fixed and dont ride on it till then!

·
Registered
118 Posts
If it is bent badly and has a visible wobble to it do not ride on it. It's very dangerous. Even if it holds air, it could damage your tire like the Eskimo man said, if it wobbles in a turn, you could fall over, it could lose pressure suddenly causing a crash, and it would be extra not safe at high speed.

I'm in the same situation as you, but with a slightly bent rim. I tried to ride it and I could feel the wobble. I'm going to replace it if I can find a decently priced rim locally or on ebay. If I can't I'm going to have it repaired by a guy in Napa. GP Wheel and Frame. I talked to him and he is a very nice and helpful guy, and from what I have heard he does very good work.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have dented & bent my rims a couple of times. Took it down to the engineering shop where they happily heated & straightened it for much less than replacement cost. Definitely not a do it yourself job though ... these guys know what they are doing.

I rode around on a dented rear rim for a couple of months without a prob. Just take it easy till you get it fixed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for all your replies. It doesn't wobble when I ride on it. I even rode home on it after I wrecked and dented it. It felt just like it did before it was dented.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We were riding down I-55 going south .. there were 'bout 25 or so of us .. I was on the inside lane and at the last second the guys in front decided to take the Northside Dr. exit ... so I start getting over to make the exit and I knew I was going to go through the median (the one that separates the off ramp and the interstate) but I didn't know there was a curb. So when I went through the median I saw the curb at the last second and couldn't do anything. My front tire hit and didn't do much but when the rear tire hit it shot the rear of the bike in the air ... kinda like a stoppie from hell ... and threw me over the front of the bike. I landed on my left side and got a little rash on my lower leg and bruised my hip pretty good. As far as the bike is concerned ... broke both my mirrors, brake lever, dented front rim, cracked nose fairing , rashed and broken right fairing, broken right peg, rashed tail fairing, and broken right passenger peg. But I should have it ready to go this week.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Dang! You were out with Byram and 601 weren't you...lol Sorry to hear about your bike. Glad you are ok though! Be careful with those guys. They do some wild stuff sometimes!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Lawnmower Man said:
...engineering shop where they happily heated & straightened it for much...
Wouldn't that make it REALLY difficult to ride on? I thought they were supposed to be round?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts