Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
rossi

rossi seems to be more comfortable on the bike in my honest opinion.
the way spies rides just seems......awkward, for lack of a better word.
vale looks as if he's one with the bike.
spies looks like he manhandles the hell out of it, which in turn makes him kick ass.

but i think head to head rossi would definitely take him.

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
In my not-so-expert opinion, I think Spies doesn't have the maturity yet. He's fast no doubt, but he doesn't have the experience to compete with top MotoGP riders right now. I'd like to see him make the jump to MotoGP in the future though & hope he'd do well, that'd be great to have another American fighting out there on the premier scene.

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
Rossi, hands down...Very few riders ever have been as dominant as Rossi in their lifetime...

Spies is just coming into his own...He's got the talent, no doubt...I see him jumping to GP maybe within 2 years...

·
Registered
264 Posts
i'd say as soon as his 2 yrs r up with yosh suz. he's outa the ama...

then maybe we'll see...

but that dude is fast as hell...i think he could compete in ne class...maybe not his 1st year out but def. see him only gettin faster....another tx rider doin the damn thing

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
nicky hayden................................

Oh wait he isnt a choice, in that case. Rossi no quesion.
spies just isnt there yet.

·
Roadracer since '96
1,911 Posts
Rossi's numerous World GP championships in 125, 250, & MotoGP speak for themself.

What has Spies won? 1 AMA National Superbike championship.

For that matter, what has Nicky Hayden won? To the best of my knowledge Nicky has NEVER been able to keep a #1 plate more than 1 season (1 AMA Supersport championship, 1 AMA Superbike championship several years later, and 1 MotoGP championship several years after that). I'm not a Nicky hater, but I think more people like him as a person, not due to some spectacular ability he should have above and beyond his competition - Rossi has had that spectacular ability for many years. :)

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
GSXR RACER MIKE said:
For that matter, what has Nicky Hayden won? To the best of my knowledge Nicky has NEVER been able to keep a #1 plate more than 1 season (1 AMA Supersport championship, 1 AMA Superbike championship several years later, and 1 MotoGP championship several years after that).
Keeping in mind I am a pure Honda guy, it hurts to say this...

I remember Nicky's 1...1+1 wins all of last year...When he won the championship...Also, 1 podium in the last 6 races of last year, when the points lead seemed too much for any other rider to overcome...

Back on topic...

Rossi
--5 (in a row) 500 GP championships (2nd only to Agostini all time, who has 8)
--1999 250 GP champ
--1997 125 GP champ
--has 84 total career wins (2nd only to Nieto with 90 and Agostini with 122)

·
Registered
62 Posts
GSXR RACER MIKE said:
Rossi's numerous World GP championships in 125, 250, & MotoGP speak for themself.

What has Spies won? 1 AMA National Superbike championship.

For that matter, what has Nicky Hayden won? To the best of my knowledge Nicky has NEVER been able to keep a #1 plate more than 1 season (1 AMA Supersport championship, 1 AMA Superbike championship several years later, and 1 MotoGP championship several years after that). I'm not a Nicky hater, but I think more people like him as a person, not due to some spectacular ability he should have above and beyond his competition - Rossi has had that spectacular ability for many years. :)
Hey Mike how come you never post stuff like this or much anything else related to racing on the racing forums like www.WERA.com or http://www.ccsforum.com/ Just curious. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
L8 Braker said:
Rossi, hands down...Very few riders ever have been as dominant as Rossi in their lifetime...

Spies is just coming into his own...He's got the talent, no doubt...I see him jumping to GP maybe within 2 years...
agree 110%

·
Roadracer since '96
1,911 Posts
G97 said:
Hey Mike how come you never post stuff like this or much anything else related to racing on the racing forums like www.WERA.com or http://www.ccsforum.com/ Just curious. :)
I have posted things like this on the CCS forum to get topics rolling for fun, Mongo goes ape crazy if you say anything even slighty negative about Nicky since he know's him, kinda funny actually. I have never raced WERA before so I don't have any desire to regulary view that board, the very few times I have gone there (almost always due to a link from a topic on another board) it seems the typical conversations there aren't the type I'm interested in.

I mainly post here because I'm providing an OPINION for those that may have never raced or been on a track before and have questions. I was approached to moderate this section of this board and do it on a voluntary basis, I find it enjoyable to offer assistance and/or opinions when I can.

What I have found on the race boards is somewhat of an attitude that if your not one of the fastest racers out there your opinion isn't worth anything, the same basic reason the other racers treat you the way they do on those same boards. I'm currently not a fast racer, I have said that SOOOO many times, and I try not to imply that I am either. In the late 90's I WAS a front running fast guy, so I have been there, but it's been a long time. Seems like alot more people here are more open minded to accept advice and comments from someone like myself who is a 'has been' in racing, where as on the actual racing boards it's a completely different story, so why waste my time commenting there if it will only be ridiculed? I'm certainly not saying I don't like the true racing community, I actually live for that and consider them to be like family, but giving advice there can be so annoying when they get some of the responses that they do. :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Spies has only won one AMA Superbike series, but he did smoke Mladin to do it and Mladin smoked everyone else. Despite if you like Mladin or not the guy can ride a motorcycle and to beat him you have to be an amazing rider.

Spies is just that (amazing) he has gone to the next level and has made AMA interesting again. Before it was Mladin by himself and the pack way in the back. It was only fun when Mladin ran off the track or crashed and had to get through traffic to win anyway. Spies made it a race again.

If Spies ever does go to MotoGP, Rossi will likely have moved on and we may never know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the main reason why i made this topic is because i actually just watched my frist race last week and rossi won and being a suzuki fan i did some research and learned about spies and watched a few videos on youtube of both racers i liked spies a little more, i dont know why but when i watch rossi i feal like im in a 10 foot boat in the the middle of the ocean with 10 foot waves

·
L337 N00B
573 Posts
(SP) like that guy said man its apples and ornges. the tracks are way different, the bikes are totally different .. attitudes and all.. only place you can actually even come close to the whole 10foot boat and 10 foot wave thing is a vid of laguna, which is the only comon places they both happen to race.
personally rossi is the man, and he is the man to beat. it would be a better match up to throw him against doughan, shwants, ranye, ect.. some of the greats. because that is his level. the u.s. just doesnt have the oppertunties that the over seas kids have. starting racing out on 125's at a young age.. ( or at least i dont notice it ) now in a couple years sure he can hop into gp .. but look at john hopkins .. it might just be suzuki's gp bike blows ass compaired to honda or yam. but still he started young and got there.. but isnt winning persay..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Records speak for themselves. Rossi is the best ever period! When Spies can win 7 MotoGP championships (or even AMA) come and talk to me but until then VR is the best.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts