Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the belly cowl on my bike (thanks, Thorazine!) for a few days now. I bought the 'chin strap' for looks but I really think that it helps with cooling the bike. Can this be true? How can a peice of plastic do a better job that exposed headers? I know there are some engineers on this site...any thoughts?

Fizzin' in the ATX

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Magic.

Or more likely, coincidence.

·
Street racing hooligan
146 Posts
Directing airflow in a more beneficial manner?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
At speed, due to the bike's aerodynamics, air flow goes over the bike/rider. Not much going on down there at the headers.

Due to the airflow, the bike creates a vacuum as it passes through the air.
The cowl then acts like a vacuum nozzle in effect sucking air through the headers.

Passing through air, the air is displaced without any direction of flow. Creating a vacuum routing, flow will let air pass through due to the atmospheric pressure difference. Air will flow to where there is less pressure resistance.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
How does pulling more air past the headers cool your bike? You're talking about engine temp, right? Maybe directing a little more air past the engine helps, but cooling off the exhaust pipes shouldn't matter much to engine temp. Maybe it routes some air upward and through the radiator. Or maybe it's just magic, like Jay said.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I'll give it a shot (speculation only).

If the underside is sufficiently elongated and smooth, a suction can occur at the underside (result of venturi effect). This will decrease the positive pressure at the windward face - thus sucking more air flow across the pipes. The effect could be to increase cooling of the pipes; this may have a miniscule effect on improving horsepower cuz of backpressure (but no effect to cool the engine).

I don't see any improvement in cooling of the engine of this particular cowl fairing. In fact, cowls generally will shield the engine from air flow and thus potentially encourage heat build-up in the engine. Conversely, most fully faired bikes have liquid cooling with the radiator placed where venturi effect will help draw more air flow through the cooling fins. (In the case of the FZ6, with the large size and shape of the upper fairing, along with the generous size of the radiator, I would surmise the cooling is very effective on this bike.)

Oddly enough, the hotter the cooling system runs, the more heat dissipation will occur through the radiator. The rate of cooling is directly related to the differential in temperatures between the coolant and ambient. That is why the cooling system has a thermostat - to keep the temperature up (not down).

Regardless, it will make the bike look cool.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
what a bunch of nerds...i am a self-proclaimed nerd. i would comment but i am too lazy to think that hard right now.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
gtfazer6:

Ah, come on. You can do it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
DanFZ6 said:
Directing airflow in a more beneficial manner?
Yo DanFZ6,

If you can spare a minute or two, could you type a few words on your performance modifications and which ones made the most difference on your ride. I ultimately would like to do something about the flat spot in the power delivery of my FZ6 (2005 Fazer US).

Thanks Very Much,

Glen

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
crx81 said:
Not me... cool stud all the way! :neener

j/k! :eek:nfloor
the first step is admitting you have a problem...

unless you like your problem

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I am a definite female computer geek. Love electronics and have all the toys :)

Now as to heating, who else finds the FZ6 a really hot bike to drive> Lots of heat from the engines near your legs and the seat gets quite toasty on my arse ;)

·
It's made of people!
455 Posts
I notice it a little but my fan doesnt realy come on unless I'm idling along in the f'd up Atlanta traffic. I don't know at what temp the thermostat opens but my bike seems to like the hotter temps.

I'm also a geek/nerd. computer/electronics etc. and damn proud of it. Now I just gotta find a hot geek chick that likes bikes :)

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
klouseau said:
I am a definite female computer geek. Love electronics and have all the toys :)

Now as to heating, who else finds the FZ6 a really hot bike to drive> Lots of heat from the engines near your legs and the seat gets quite toasty on my arse ;)
I too feel a lot of heat coming off the engine. Gets quite toasty at times.

As for the seat...I think it's just your arse. :bitchslap

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
RebelFZ6 said:
I have had the belly cowl on my bike (thanks, Thorazine!) for a few days now. I bought the 'chin strap' for looks but I really think that it helps with cooling the bike. Can this be true? How can a peice of plastic do a better job that exposed headers? I know there are some engineers on this site...any thoughts?
My opinion, as a licensed Professional Engineer, is that

its your imagination.

That thing is pure eye candy, nothing more! Nothing wrong with it, mind you. It was a must have for my FZ, I ordered it when I ordered the bike!!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
... Well this thread settles it:

All I can conclude is the FZ6 is the bike of choice for P.Eng's, CompSci, Artists, Modders, Geeks, Nerds, and all bikers that want to go really fast while looking cool.

Look at how well attend this forum is in proportion to the sales of this bike. The ratio far exceeds the sport bikes, let alone cruisers, etc.

Although, got to lament over the blue bikes with only an RS232 port. Glad I got the silver with the faster USB-2.0 port.
:eek:nfloor

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Well the Garmin eTrax Legend C that I just ordered uses USB, but I can't find where to plug it into the dash so I guess I'm just going to have to push the handlebars myself when the thing tells me my next turn off is coming up. :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts