Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had Direct TV and I had a line of sight issue so I waited 2 weeks for a tech to come and when he does come he tells me he isn’t moving the dish and that the extra line I wanted will cost me $200 and I had already paid direct TV $50 to do it. Well then the dude says he’s going to make some calls and talk to me to see about the dish but the guy just leaves. So I call the Direct TV line to tell them about what happened and the guy hangs up on me because I asked him to speak up because he was mumbling. Well that pissed me off and I canceled my service with them.

Well apparently they put you into a contract without you signing anything. The only thing I ever signed is the work order when I had the dish installed. Apparently if you get DVR or a HD receiver or any equipment of theirs you automatically get into a 2 year contract without even knowing it. I don’t know if that’s legal or not but there was a class action law suit in 2005 because of shady shit like this. But right now there’s a class action law suit for another reason which is pretty fucked up but I won’t get into that. Now they say I owe them $360 for a cancellation fee and for the service that I was not getting and that’s after they took the 50$ I paid for the extra line and subtracted it from the total. I called them up tried to at least wave the service fee because I wasn’t getting any channels and they pretty much said fuck you and the manager I spoke to was more pissed that I was trying not to pay then I was for having to. There’s really nothing I can do. I can report this to my states attorney general but if I don’t pay it will go to collections and ruin my credit. So yeah I’m pretty much screwed. If you google “Direct TV scams” you will see what a shady company they really are.

Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Wow that sucks man. The same thing happens when you order a video from "Girls Gone Wild". (yea i know) Anyway I started noticing $25 charges on my debit card every month from GGW. so i called and apparently when you buy a video you automatically sign up for a contract. Needless to say they wanted me to pay a cancellation fee, and me and the ghetto ass customer service bitch had an exchange about how she works for a shady piece of shit company. I just cancelled my debit card and nothing happened.

·
Registered
577 Posts
thats why i like dish,,, man if you got a problem they fix it before losing you as a customer,, direct did me the same way, jerked me around and was a big mess all the way around,,,

So you know what i havent paid them.. You don't pay for what someone else's mistake,,you go out to eat and they screw up your order do they not fix it,,,

just like when i updated my dish net and got a DVR, they brought out a regular box and i said the whole reason was i wanted DVR and called dish and next day i got my DVR, they didn't understand why they brought out a regualr box but they still fix it

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think they have my social.... if i don't pay can they ruin my credit by sending the bill to a collection agency? i have pretty good credit and i would be extremely pissed if it got ruined because of this shady shit.

oh btw the class action law suit is about how they let you "buy" a box but then charge you lease fees then when you cancel they ask for it back and they don't give you the 200-300 dollars back. Also if i didn't setup a shop safe number for the automatic payment then they would have just taken the money out of my bank account without me knowledge. Ive seen stories of people finding out they took like 600 dollars out their bank account after they canceled the service.

·
I dunno
3,784 Posts
I got pretty shitty treatment from them too, charged for services I didn't get, I told em to go [email protected]#k for their money, suppose I'll have to pay em at some point but not before they make it right to an excustomer

·
Registered
655 Posts
I had Wild Blue (through Dish) installed while a family member had Highes Net (through DirectTV) installed at the same time.

The wildblue tech did everything and I got a 200 dollar installation fee for it which was normally 500, was on special. No complaints we love it.

The Hughesnet guy who installed it for the family member was so fat and out of shape he couldn't finish the installation or fit into some of the places to run the wire, The occupant had to actually use this guy's tools and install it, THEN they charged him an extra 150$ on top of the 500 installation charge for a fence post to mount the dish on, said it was a "special" installation.

DirectTv is a super duper ripoff, do not ever get them, I've been with Dish for 9 years w/out complaint. ANYTIME I've ever complained about an issure, they give me a free month of service and apologize.

On a sidenote, just get an FTA receiver and ditch directtv all together

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
You will win. When I had my direct TV installed, They came out and used a device to check the line of sight and said there was no problem, before I said to go ahead with the installation. When I had my satellite internet installed, the guy came out, used his device, and I had to cut a 80 ft pine down so the dish could "see" the satellite.

If the installer had done his "due diligence" there would be no issues, remind them that their employee/contractor did an improper installation and that is what created the issue.

·
FEAR the stapler...
1,230 Posts
no social security # = they cant touch your credit...
+1 Fuck em.

And know this, any debt sent to collections you are no longer legally obligated to pay. The debt has been sold to a 3rd party, the agreement was with DirectTV. The collections agency will lie cheat and steal thier way to collecting, but as I said eariler, Fuck them too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You will win. When I had my direct TV installed, They came out and used a device to check the line of sight and said there was no problem, before I said to go ahead with the installation. When I had my satellite internet installed, the guy came out, used his device, and I had to cut a 80 ft pine down so the dish could "see" the satellite.

If the installer had done his "due diligence" there would be no issues, remind them that their employee/contractor did an improper installation and that is what created the issue.
Did you give them your social #? i dont remember if i did or not but i think i didnt. not 100% sure though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
+1 Fuck em.

And know this, any debt sent to collections you are no longer legally obligated to pay. The debt has been sold to a 3rd party, the agreement was with DirectTV. The collections agency will lie cheat and steal thier way to collecting, but as I said eariler, Fuck them too.
Ya im not paying now. if i see anything bad on my credit report then i will dispute.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
You could always file an action in small claims court for fraud. They did not provide you with the service they promised and expect you to pay. Hold them to their contract. Make them install your dish so it will work properly. They installed it, you didn't

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I moved and had a line of sight issue at my new residence. They said they couldn't hook it up(Up to this point I had loved my DTV). The installer left and I called to cancel my service. They said I was on a new two year contract as well since I upgraded to HD a few months previous. I told them that if they were unable to fullfill there obligation of the contract(providing me service), then it was null and void. Direct TV is not going to dictate where I live for christ sakes. They tried to bill me a few times, and I sent a letter to them disputing the charge and they ultimatley dismissed it.

Direct TV Inc.
ATTN Billing Disputes
PO Box 6550
Greenwood Village, CO 80155-6550

and include your acct. #.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
+1 Fuck em.

You are obligated to pay the collections company. They will take you to court if its enough money.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I moved and had a line of sight issue at my new residence. They said they couldn't hook it up(Up to this point I had loved my DTV). The installer left and I called to cancel my service. They said I was on a new two year contract as well since I upgraded to HD a few months previous. I told them that if they were unable to fullfill there obligation of the contract(providing me service), then it was null and void. Direct TV is not going to dictate where I live for christ sakes. They tried to bill me a few times, and I sent a letter to them disputing the charge and they ultimatley dismissed it.

Direct TV Inc.
ATTN Billing Disputes
PO Box 6550
Greenwood Village, CO 80155-6550

and include your acct. #.

Thanks psudy i'll try that.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I was speaking in general terms, not specifically about this situation, but if you still don't, stop paying your credit card and see. If they don't end up taking you to court, they will ruin your credit.

·
FEAR the stapler...
1,230 Posts
I was speaking in general terms, not specifically about this situation, but if you still don't, stop paying your credit card and see. If they don't end up taking you to court, they will ruin your credit.
Collections company does not equal credit card company.... BUT if I were to stop paying my credit card, they would within 4-6 months, sell the debt to a collections agency.

Why? Because it's cheaper for them to unload the debt than to go to court. They get cash, and me off thier books. The Collections Agency buys the debt for pennies on the dollar, so whatever they can get out of you is profit for them.

Yes, it will ruin your credit, (which will happen whether you pay late to the credit card company, pay late to the collections agency, or don't pay at all) but no, you are not legally obligated to pay a debt through a contract that was sold. The ONLY excpetion to this, and I haven't found anyone who can legally tell me why, is your mortgage.

Why do I know this?:banana

·
Banned
7,982 Posts
Ya im not paying now. if i see anything bad on my credit report then i will dispute.
Yep, dispute and ask claim it is not yours at all. What proof they got you signed something, ask for proof of a contract. By law they got to mail you a copy of the "contract" you signed.

I would be nasty...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts