Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gettin my licence next week (I'm 18) and was thinking about buying a Suzuki 05 GS500F for my first bike. Is this a good bike to start off on? I plan on buying it new because I can't find any used ones around here. What's an average price on the bike? If anyone has any advice feel free to put it in.

Thanx,
VetteV12

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I'm sure if you look hard enough, you can find something used. Go to Suzuki's website and you'll see msrp is around $5200 for that bike. But try you best to get a used bike.

·
Registered
951 Posts
if you can afford the gs500, go for it. else, get a ninja 500 used. faster and better handling, cheaper, and easier to resell when youre ready for a different bike.

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
I've ridden both and the acceleration feels the same.

The difference is in the TCO. The EX needs less frequent tune ups, and uses about 5-10% less gas. I'd go with the Kaw.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Hagios said:
I've ridden both and the acceleration feels the same.

The difference is in the TCO. The EX needs less frequent tune ups, and uses about 5-10% less gas. I'd go with the Kaw.
Not to me. Didn't you ride an older EX? There is a solid extra 10 horsepower in the liquid-cooled Ninja 500R over the aircooled GS500.

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
I've got a liquid cooled EX, though it's leaving the garage this sunday. The torque up to about 70 is about the same, though. I won't speed on a bike that isn't mine, so I wouldn't know if its top-end differs much (though the 10 extra horses that the Kaw has will count for a lot up there)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Why not try on a Honda F4i...? I started on that bike, and did pretty good.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
first off welcome to SBN. I would get a used bike especialy since it is your first just keep looking for the gs500 or an ex500 and you should be able to find one before too long.

·
I am MOTARDED
3,089 Posts
i like the looks of the gs500 and the ex250. for somereason I dont like the looks of the ex 500. there all good bikes even for the vet rider, not only for the newbies now days with up to 45mpg range

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anyone know the 1/4mile times for the GS500 and the Ninja 500R? Does anyone know which brakes better, or is it about the same with most any bike?

Sorry for my ignorance, I only know cars and nothing about bikes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts