Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im new here and i just wanted to ask a few questions. First off, i race quads, nothing to big, a yamaha blaster, 200cc, and i think im getting to old for it. My dad has a Yamaha Road Star Warrior 1700cc's. He has had bikes all his life. He has gotten me into it. So i get my drivers licence in a year. Ill get my motorcycle license also. I want to be able to ride with him. He doesnt go that fast, and hes not really a dumbass on it. Since i have had quads, i know how to do wheelies and endos. Ill be doing that on a bike too.

My question is, whats a good beginner bike? My dad doesnt want me to go above 600cc's since its my first bike. Give me some ideas guys, and yes money is an issue, id like to stick to the main brands such as yamaha, suzuki, or kawi and so on.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Hello and welcome! :twofinger

The standard answer is going to be a small CC Kawi Ninja, e.g. EX500. They're cheap and great to trash on since they're not too expensive. Since it sounds like you'll be using it as a stunt bike you prob. want to be using as cheap of a bike as possible, esp. to get your feet wet on two-wheels. Might want to search the Stunt sub-forum for info on engine cages and such.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
well i dont really like ninjas,

i was thinking something along the lines of either a:

Suzuki GSX - R600
Yamaha R6
or
Honda CBR600rr

out of those 3 which would sound the best for me?

·
Registered
951 Posts
If you can afford it, I'd say you're experienced enough to get a 600SS if you feel up to it, the ZX-636R by Kawi, and the CBR600RR by Honda are my favorites. The Suzuki SV650 is bit less aggressive, but an excellent machine, and a great deal as well. If you're really strapped for funds, a mid-90's Kawi Ninja 500R (EX500) can be found for under $2500 in good condition.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Oh, you posted while I was posting. If you can afford a CBR600RR or a GSX-R600, I'd say go for it, they're both great bikes. The R1 is a 1000cc machine, so Dad wouldn't approve and it's not really a great choice anyways for a first bike even for someone experienced.

·
Registered
912 Posts
None of those are good beginner bikes. Do you have any experience in a motorcycle on the street at all? If not, stick with something that is far less likely to kill you. an ex250 or 500 ninja, a Buell Blast, a Yamaha Seca II, or suzuki's comparable 500cc 'entry level' sport bike (Can't remember the name).

I'm not saying don't get one of the bikes you listed because it's your money and you're going to do what you want anyways. Almost everyone on this board advocates starting on one of the above bikes because they are far more forgiving than a supersport. In general, starting on a supersport is a very bad idea, especially at your age. You've got your whole life ahead of you, don't make a poor choice now that will end it early or limit your potential down the road. Take it slow, learn how to ride well enough to handle a racing bike, then in 2 or 3 years re-evaluate your situation and get a 600rr or gixxer if you want.

Like I said, I'm not telling you don't do it, but don't come in here expecting validation for what most of us consider a very poor choice.

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
TemtnF8 said:
None of those are good beginner bikes. Do you have any experience in a motorcycle on the street at all? If not, stick with something that is far less likely to kill you. an ex250 or 500 ninja, a Buell Blast, a Yamaha Seca II, or suzuki's comparable 500cc 'entry level' sport bike (Can't remember the name).

I'm not saying don't get one of the bikes you listed because it's your money and you're going to do what you want anyways. Almost everyone on this board advocates starting on one of the above bikes because they are far more forgiving than a supersport. In general, starting on a supersport is a very bad idea, especially at your age. You've got your whole life ahead of you, don't make a poor choice now that will end it early or limit your potential down the road. Take it slow, learn how to ride well enough to handle a racing bike, then in 2 or 3 years re-evaluate your situation and get a 600rr or gixxer if you want.

Like I said, I'm not telling you don't do it, but don't come in here expecting validation for what most of us consider a very poor choice.

+1 and Suzuki GS500E

·
Registered
324 Posts
fireblaz said:
hey quinn i live in vernon if you are starting to look for a bike soon i found my wife at motorcycle madness
you found her there? cool. congrats. jk man. :eek:nfloor

hey quinn i'd say if you MUST get a 600, for newer bikes i'd say a slightly older SV650 or a newish (04+) Kawasaki ZZR600. as for the stuntin shtuff, you'll have more fun buying a late 90's to '00-01 honda F3, F4 or F4i. buy used, maybe with plastic damage also since you are gonna throw it around anyway. new 600RR's are underpowered and overweight. if you really wanna get ballsy and kill yourself, buy a 636. i take no future responsibility for that given he is a 16 year old.

hey racer x, you gotta 250 you wanna offer him? :fiddy

·
Registered
153 Posts
nik_z said:

hey quinn i'd say if you MUST get a 600, for newer bikes i'd say a slightly older SV650 or a newish (04+) Kawasaki ZZR600. as for the stuntin shtuff, you'll have more fun buying a late 90's to '00-01 honda F3, F4 or F4i. buy used, maybe with plastic damage also since you are gonna throw it around anyway. new 600RR's are underpowered and overweight. if you really wanna get ballsy and kill yourself, buy a 636. i take no future responsibility for that given he is a 16 year old.

sorry no i found the bike there
it was a long day in the hot sun today
plus i would not stunt anyware in the county the cops are ticket happy so beware

·
Registered
951 Posts
nik_z said:

The 2005 CBR600RR is by no means underpowered or overweight. It also wins comparison tests. Odd.

Racer X jokes stopped being funny long ago.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
IMPerfection said:
The 2005 CBR600RR is by no means underpowered or overweight.
No kidding. I wouldn't call a machine that weighs 360 lbs. overweight. The F4i that he just recommended weights 10 lbs. more dry. :rolleyes

Those "underpowered" machines push something like 110 peak HP. Yeah, that's underpowered if you're talking about a Honda Civic, not a CBR RR. :dunno

·
Registered
86 Posts
Maybe you should look into a Katana which im really thinkin about right now. Its a lot tamer out of the 600 CC class. Its a bit heavy but youll get used to it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks guys, this is all useful information for me. Keep it comming.

Also, what im going to be doing i wouldnt even consider stunting. I wont be an idiot on it trust me, ive learned not to be on my quad, and if my parents saw me doing stupid stuff, theyd kick my ass. haha

Also, i cant say that i wont do wheelies or endo or anything like that, but im going to do it with a brain, if you know what i mean. I have always been into these kind of things like bikes and quads, and now im just getting to old for my quad and i dont want to keep putting the abuse on my body. My parents are also getting a devorce, so me getting a bike is just something to do with my pops. Since we share that in comman.

Its funny tho because when i ride with him on his motorcycle, the road star warrior is a bike thats made to go fast, and to pop the clutch. When i ride on the back with him he doesnt want to go to fast so he doesnt pop the clutch, so i make fun of him and tell him he shifts like a girl, (no offence to any women riders), and then he will start to go faster with me on the back, but still ride with a brain.

But thanks for the info, i will be a smart rider when i get a bike. I just have to figure out what im giong to get. I have some time also, a few months.

Keep the info/opionions comming guys!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Let's think about this for a second, a 16 year old rider with ZERO street experience that says he's going to be doing wheelies and endo's that wants a 600ss for a first bike? This has bad idea written all over it. I'm with the others, start with a small cc bike for a first bike. The EX250/500, Buell Blast, Suzuki GS500, etc. These all make great machines to learn on. They're cheaper to fix when you crash it and they're far more forgiving. Riding a quad and a motorcycle are two entirely different things. The only similarities is that you know how the controls work. Body positioning, power, etc are all different.
And I don't care how careful you are, when you're new to the street and learning to ride you can't do wheelies and endos "with a brain." Do you really think you have the throttle and brake control to get it perfect EVERY time? Is all it takes is one miscalculation and you and your bike are on the pavement.
There's a reason why race schools user smaller displacement bikes to teach people how to race on. And for those reasons, the smaller displacement bikes are better to learn how to ride the streets on. Do yourself a favor and start small.
Shane

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what i ment by "with a brain" is to learn how to actualy ride the bike first. I wouldnt be doing stupid ass shit on it. I wouldnt be doing things that have catch me and bust my ass written all over it. Trust me. Id learn how to ride the bike and get it down perfectly before i try any of that. Even if i do try it. I dont feel like going over, esp on pavement. Like fireblaz said, the cops look for that stuff, and have a hard on for it. He lives in the same town i do. If im already getting someone saying that to me and i havent even been part of this site 24 hours, doesnt make me want to go out and rip wheelies down route 565. I think if i find a decent 600cc bike that is a good starting bike, is what im going to get. Im not the kind of kid that will put a bad name on all bike riders........

·
Registered
778 Posts
Quinn01 -- sorry man I'm with shane on this one, I used to race motocross and quads (I did everything imaginable on them and still do) and a street bike is just too different. One slip on the acceleration and you are done man seriously. You can buy a brand new 250 for like 3000 bucks, or just be a used one to fart around on for a while before you think about a 600. Since you are used to being on quads you will get the hang of riding quickly, master all the skills on a smaller bike first, then get a 600. It's up to you we all know that, but even though you have raced on a track with quads it isn't like being out there on the street with stupid people all around you in cars and trucks (it's a completely different set of decision making skills). Plus you are like 16 man, do you have your driver's license yet? get some experience in a car before the bike..... I'm not trying to talk down to you because I know I wanted a bike when I was 16 too, but seriously people don't pay attention to you at all out there and even if you ride "with a brain" other people could give 2 shits about paying attention to you.

·
Registered
471 Posts
its not only zero experience on a bike on the street

its zero experience on anything on the street.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts