Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, a little bit of background. Im 18 and my parents are getting a divorce, im staying with my dad. That might be irrelevent but my dad is dating a girl that he really likes and she offered to give me her Ninja 250 ( :phatyo ). Me and my dad took the motorcycle safty course 2 weeks later and we both have our license now.
Well, I was about to get her bike but she got a wild hair and decided to talk my dad into going to look at a new bike. She wants to get an R6, or something in the 600cc class range. We are going on saturday to go look at bikes to trade hers in for, im just wondering if a 600cc with be manageable for a newbie like me.

·
Registered
498 Posts
No. Read the stickies in the New Rider Forum for more information. You'd be better off keeping the 250R than trading it in. The dealer will give very little for it compared to a private sale. Perhaps you could buy it from her in installments? It's a much better bike than a 600cc sportbike for an 18 year old.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
i would tool around on the 250r for awhile.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its not my decision to make, its totally up to her. What I want to know if it will be manageable or do I need to get on my dads ass to trade in my Kodiak 450 for a smaller bike.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Let her get the r6, you take the 250. . dealer wont give you enough for it to be worthwhile. Then when you're ready to move off the 250 (Sometime around when you turn 20) get that r6.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Whether or not you can work a deal for the 250, that is the size you want to start on. Print out or have your Dad read this thread and those in the Newbie section and he might be able to convince her to help you out!

·
Registered
623 Posts
fbiguy said:
Whether or not you can work a deal for the 250, that is the size you want to start on. Print out or have your Dad read this thread and those in the Newbie section and he might be able to convince her to help you out!
I started on the 250 because my balls were literally small, however, after the daily injections they have returned to normal size. I still ride the 250 because it grew on me and its really fun despite my balls being normal size. I hear its a good begginers bike.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, part of the reason she wants to trade in is because the bike is registered and insured in Cali, and she just moved to texas. My dad tells me that the price of registering it and insuring it, along with the monthly payment on it which I hear is about 110 or 100 a month, he could turn around and trade it in and maybe pay 120 a month on a new bike. The Ninja is an 01 or 02 so its really fairly new, im just hoping I can work a deal with her to let me keep the ninja but I doubt it.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
H2Omax1 said:
Let her get the r6, you take the 250. . dealer wont give you enough for it to be worthwhile. Then when you're ready to move off the 250 (Sometime around when you turn 20) get that r6.
It looks like she wants to trade the 250 in. I say keep the 250, learn on it and then have her sell it privately, then get the 600cc bike. The 250's do NOT lose value. I bought my 2002 250, rode it for 2 years & 6k miles, tried to trade it in. The sales guy :lao at me and told me I'd prolly get $600 bucks for it. He says those bikes don't sell and the ones that do sell are because people can't afford the b***** bikes :rolleyes I sold it privately for $2150 & then bought a F4I

·
Registered
819 Posts
If she wants a 600 tell to look at the FZ6... great bike, cheap, detuned r6 engine... and its predictable when riding...

But hey its you call, where just all hear to give our 2 cents...

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Keep the 250 to learn on...like the others said...you won't get anything out of it in a trade...

·
Banned
46 Posts
Exhiliration said:
I started on the 250 because my balls were literally small, however, after the daily injections they have returned to normal size. I still ride the 250 because it grew on me and its really fun despite my balls being normal size. I hear its a good begginers bike.
Dude tha ninja 250 is an bad ass bike it gave me Kow size balls
Tha fact that it will turn 15,000 rpm without missing a beat (use good oil) is fuc-king that sh*t and it will run 125 mph which is about 5-10 mph faster than tha average hooked up (piss-on)Honda civic will go and will dust any mustang,firebird,SS etc. to about 80 mph.

It's also only 300 lbs. so its gona be about 100 lbs. lighter than any other 600cc. Which will help you lean... I was hitting tha center stand tha first week and had to take it off thou it wasnt my first bike.

And most try what ever to kept tha 250R but if you have to get another bike tha 500R is really good too. its just as heavy as a 600cc but it wont throw you like a bull.

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
lightrum151 said:
Dude tha ninja 250 is an bad ass bike it gave me Kow size balls
Tha fact that it will turn 15,000 rpm without missing a beat (use good oil) is fuc-king that sh*t and it will run 125 mph which is about 5-10 mph faster than tha average hooked up (piss-on)Honda civic will go and will dust any mustang,firebird,SS etc. to about 80 mph.

It's also only 300 lbs. so its gona be about 100 lbs. lighter than any other 600cc. Which will help you lean... I was hitting tha center stand tha first week and had to take it off thou it wasnt my first bike.

And most try what ever to kept tha 250R but if you have to get another bike tha 500R is really good too. its just as heavy as a 600cc but it wont throw you like a bull.
English mother fucker, do you speak it?!?!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Andrew123654 said:
its not my decision to make, its totally up to her. What I want to know if it will be manageable or do I need to get on my dads ass to trade in my Kodiak 450 for a smaller bike.
Is she planning on letting you share her new ride? That's extremely generous of her.

No, the 600cc machine will not be managable for a new rider with no experience. It will make you think so and you'll be convinced it is right up to the moment when something goes wrong. Then you will understand why 600cc sportbikes are not recommended for young, new riders. Unfortunately, by the time you gain that understanding it will be too late. Experience is a harsh teacher and the pupil doesn't always survive the lesson.

Four wheelers are not the same as motorcycles and a Kodiak 450 has NOTHING on a 600cc sportbike. 150cc doesn't sound like a lot but it is not about displacement. Raw displacement means absolutely nothing. It is engine design and tuning. Modern supersports slam down over 100hp at the rear wheel (10 year old designs put down 80hp+). An 18 year old rider with minimal MSF training and no prior riding experience has no business on such a machine. All supersports and their derivatives are designed for experienced riders, not beginners. Just check Suzuki's website for their disclaimers on the GSX-R. Such a disclaimer applies to any sportbike.

Your Dad's girl is going to get ripped off if she trades in a 250R that she is still making payments on. Unless she is right-side-up on the loan, she will make nothing on the trade-in and may even wind up paying more for a new bike. And on the new bike, those low payments don't last forever. Something isn't adding up on this deal. Trust me, she is much better off keeping the 250R and having you make payments on it than she is to trade it in. Especially on a cheap bike like a 250R. Bikes get screwed far worse on vehicle value and loans than cars do.

For what it's worth.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
linuxbikr said:
Is she planning on letting you share her new ride? That's extremely generous of her.
If she plans on moving in with my dad and I, shes got the right kiss ass mindset.

Also, I wasn't using the kodiak as experience, iv never had it above 40 so it means next to nothing.
Im going to see if she will let me ride the 250 around again and I might just drive off and never come back. :lol Then again, maybe not.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I'm w/the other's, just talk to your dad and see if you can work something out w/him to buy the 250.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Geah! I got her to let me keep the 250 and pay on it, and my dad put 1k down on her new SV 650cc.

Saturday night down on 6th street after we got the bike. Originally I was going to pay half and my dad was going to pay half but when the lady told me she would do it for $100 because my dad brought his girlfriend and my sister in and got their tats done the previouse night, so I ended up paying for it all because it was so cheap. I thought it would be $250+

I laid the 650 down the first time out on it but they werent mad. Over the last couple of days iv been riding the 650 and gotten better. I havn't stalled it sence the first day and iv been on some county roads early in the morning with them following behind me. Iv got it up to 60 and feels great, just need to get the 250 tagged and insurred then ill be good to go :) Ill post some pics of the suzuki sometime soon, just thought id post some pics of my weekend.

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
That's kickass. The bike I mean. It's really cool they helped you out like that. You're gonna have a great starter that will serve you well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my dad talked to me a little while ago. He drove her sv650 to work today (he slept over last night) and says it was a blast. This is coming from a diehard harley fan. He is contemplating on selling the 250 and getting another 650 with full farings, for 30 bucks more a month.... But we will see, my dads girlfriend is supposed to be getting it registered today and my dad said he was going to go get it insurred. We got the SV650 insurred at the place we bought it for $260 a year :phatyo which I hear is pretty good.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
you've already crashed the SV?

are you and the G/F planning on taking the www.msf-usa.org class?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts