Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I pull up at a light. I notice there are a bunch of flys buzzing around. Hundreds of them. As I get closer I notice they are really big flys. Nope bees. Hundreds of bees swarming making a big bee vortex in the middle of the road. The lady in the car next to me looks over at me with an amused look of pity and makes a swatting motion as I close my helmet and start backing up. The bees follow me for whatever reason. Maybe the noise, maybe the CO2, or maybe because I look like the only valid animal target. Car behind me backs up some to give me more room (I'm boxed in). Please change, please change, please change.... Finally the light changes, I let the car in front of me go a ways then I pin it through the bee cloud. A few of them hit me pretty hard but no stings thank god. I had on my jacket but with the cuffs opened up to catch some air and cool me in the sweltering heat. None made it inside.
:meangreen

Anyone ever seen any crap like this? What would you do lol? The most absurd moment of my day. I pictured myself going in to work tomorrow looking like a mutant with 20 bee stings on my neck and body.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I probably would be dead. I don't carry enough epi to get through a swarm. I saw thousands of flies built up an a peice of meat in the road in Baghdad.

·
Lickalotapuss
2,859 Posts
I get stung everywhere I go. But I have been through a swarm with no ill effects. it's the lone bees that do me in!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Riding my bike home I went past a farmed colony and hit at least a dozen at ~80 m.p.h. I was buttoned up pretty good and didn't see them until the last second. I felt one through the glove but not really a stinger.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oh! One of my biggest fears ridding a bike. My epi expired in 2007 and was in my truck anyway. :/ Such a hassle to get one at expiration and carry it with you everywhere. But I do not think it would have helped in this case.

But if I go one way it too will be :meangreen

·
Registered
917 Posts
Last month I was riding and a bug hit me in that tiny space between my jacket an helmet which was the only part of my body NOT covered by motorcycle gear. It stung badly, so much that I had to pull over, and partly because it kept stinging and I was afraid something was caught in my jacket and continuing to sting since it was trapped. I don't think anything was still there once I got my jacket collar open. Later I noticed there was a small welt where I felt the pain.

Not sure if it was a bee or wasp or something but it definitely hurt more than your typical bug-neck-strike. Normally a bug hit on the neck just stings for a second right after impact.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Last month I was riding and a bug hit me in that tiny space between my jacket an helmet which was the only part of my body NOT covered by motorcycle gear. It stung badly, so much that I had to pull over, and partly because it kept stinging and I was afraid something was caught in my jacket and continuing to sting since it was trapped. I don't think anything was still there once I got my jacket collar open. Later I noticed there was a small welt where I felt the pain.

Not sure if it was a bee or wasp or something but it definitely hurt more than your typical bug-neck-strike. Normally a bug hit on the neck just stings for a second right after impact.
Not long ago in had a wasp hit me in the neck hard, then fall down the front of my jacket, sting my collar bone, and proceed to start crawling around my nipple. I'm sure cars were wondering why I was punching and groping my man boob. I got stung about 4 times last year.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Not long ago in had a wasp hit me in the neck hard, then fall down the front of my jacket, sting my collar bone, and proceed to start crawling around my nipple. I'm sure cars were wondering why I was punching and groping my man boob. I got stung about 4 times last year.
i got stung on the back of my neck while doing about 45mph. not fun
Makes me want to buy a scarf. I don't care how dumb it looks, fuck that wasp shit...

·
Registered
507 Posts
I ride with a Leatt Brace. One nice advantage is that bugs have a tough time hitting my neck!

Yeah, bees tend to follow you. The way I understand it (based on TV documentaries, so take it with a grain of salt) bees navigate by their position relative to the closest object. Works great for finding your way around the landscaping. If something is moving around, you tend to keep a constant position relative to it, though! So they follow you all around, thinking they are hovering in place.

Knowing that, a nice trick is to "scrape" bees off on leafy branches and such. They start using that stuff as their reference point instead of you. If the bees are angry, all bets are off though.

- John

·
Registered
249 Posts
Oh! One of my biggest fears ridding a bike. My epi expired in 2007 and was in my truck anyway. :/ Such a hassle to get one at expiration and carry it with you everywhere. But I do not think it would have helped in this case.

But if I go one way it too will be :meangreen
Shitty way to go though. I found out I was allergic after getting zapped once in the ear at work, took ten minutes to get to the ER. I was so bad off I got to skip the entire Friday night line at the ER. The DR. gave me one mg of epi IV, and I thought that was how I was going to die. My heart rate shot to about 280 and I was getting tunnel vision, and very light headed. I totally surprised the nurse when I didn't throw up. Even as sick as I was, I managed to tell the nurse I was a bad mother fucker, that is why I didn't throw up. A good laugh was had by all.

·
Sled Head
654 Posts
I ride with my visor up a lot with sunglasses. Any about two weeks ago a wasp flew right in my helmet by my ear. I really freaked out, and tried to pull off as soon as I could, he stung me once before I could get my helmet off.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
About 15 years ago I had a bee hit me and get stuck in the back of the collar of my jacket. Luckily I was on a back road with no traffic. I jammed on the brakes and pulled the clutch, didn't even downshift. As soon as I stopped, I hit the kill button and kickstand as quickly as I could and started stripping.

Little bastard got me 3 times on the back of the neck and once on the shoulder blade before I got rid of him.

I'm not allergic but I could feel myself flushing and overall feeling really woozy. I had to sit down on the shoulder of the road for a couple of minutes. Then I went looking for my gloves that just got flung and picked my jacket up out of the ditch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts