Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys its been asked many times before. I know you guys have seen me on awhile and i've been saving for a bike. My grandpa is now giving me money for college, but I have a full ride with the Army so I can spend it on whatevr I want he said. Its going to be about 10,000 I think, which is awesome. Anyways, im heading to University of Oklahoma in August as a freshmen. I want to get a ex500 then invest the rest. A few summes later maybe move up to a 600. Anyways, wanna buy it around here and take my MSF class here, then head up to dorm life. Now, the thing is, I have no idea what I would do with a bike at the dorms. Which is why I need opinions. Should I wait till I get my own place? Here are my options so far:

1. Park the bike at the top of my parking space then I have a small car and park the car next to it. Chain the bike to...something. Just dont want drunk kids messing w/ my bike or something.
2. I have a few friends that are going to buy a house and are juniors. I could maybe keep it there, but I would have to drive/walk to just get to my bike.
3. There is a chance I could ask the Col. up there if I could keep it in the ROTC building since its HUGE and has a bunch of free space. That would be fairly ideal since its locked but dunno if it will work.

So there is my dilemma guys. I know there was a thread about this awhile back but again just wanted to hear what ppl did.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I go to Kansas State (35-7 by the way ;) ) and behind the every dorm building and every building on campus there is a lighted motorcycle parking area that is watched by a camera. I didn't have a bike until I got out of the dorms but I'd think a bike would be more likely to be stolen at your house than at the dorms with people coming and going all the time. Just scope out the campus and the parking lots and talk to other guys who ride. Also a disc lock would work nice while you are parking it.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
I didn't even read the first post, but if this thread is about buying a bike or going to college, I suggest buying the bike.

School is for squares!!!!

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Alright, in all seriousness, I wouldn't put it in the parking spot, because some idiot will tip it over just to be funny.

You COULD try to find a spot inside the dorm building to just park it. I know when I went to Michigan State, there was this ramp that led up to this door that entered the building through a boiler room. You could use it and it wasn't locked, but people kept motorcycles, mopeds, and bicycles in there. Nobody ever messed with them.

If your'e not worried about it getting tipped over, just park it in your spot and make sure you get some disc locks and maybe even one of those kryptonite U-locks to put through the wheel and around the swing arm. That way, nobody would be able to roll it too far at least.

·
Registered
519 Posts
best thing to do would park it in a spot but make friends with as many people as you can...so if any of them see somehting happening to it they would say something

·
Registered
503 Posts
I did it my first semester, and I loved it.

Personally, during the week I didn't ride much. However, when I needed to get home it was perfect, because for me, home was 4 hours away! 46 MPG works out great too :)

For me, I parked my bike with a disc lock on the front and a cover. With the cover on it, noone ever fucked with it. Out of sight, out of mind. www.gezagear.com I believe is the right link, but thats the cover I got and it fits snug and worked great. I highly recommend it.

However, my first week or so at school about 5 bikes were stolen from around campus, in broad daylight! But, they were all squid bikes stolen, R6, 954RR, etc etc. My bike was too old to want to steal and too heavy to throw into the back of a truck haha.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey guys thanks for input so far. Does any1 know a sight of a disc lock type deal? Or is it something I could buy at an autoparts or something.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Stang Man said:
However, my first week or so at school about 5 bikes were stolen from around campus, in broad daylight! But, they were all squid bikes stolen, R6, 954RR, etc etc. My bike was too old to want to steal and too heavy to throw into the back of a truck haha.
my squid bike hasnt been stolen on campus yet, but then again i park it in my living room. just get a bike cover and try to hide it as much as possible. i see bikes tipped over on campus a lot, but bike parking at my school isnt hidden. best and safest plan would be to park it at your buddies house(as long as its a garage or something). wait till you see how many bitches stare at you when you ride around campus :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
You can get disk locks from places like www.denniskirk.com or www.chaparral-racing.com . Do a google search, and you'd find tons more links. I also got a nelson-rigg half cover for my bike that covers up the seat and upper fairing on a faired bike that would help out. It was only 30 or 40 bucks.

Good luck!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks alot for the info guys. So people have had succes parking their bike outside w/ locks and a cover. Thats good to know. Plus, who would go through the bother of stealin a locked bike...then they get the cover off and its a 95 ex500 or something. Would suck for them.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no1 else eh? =o( well i suppose these were good answers i should be ok

1 - 11 of 11 Posts