1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
R.I.P. :(

By MARSHA DORGAN
Register Staff Writer

A Napa teen died Friday morning when his brand new motorcycle plowed into a car on Lincoln Avenue, impaling the driver's side of the car.

The 16-year-old victim was identified as Napa High School student Nicholas Gruenhagen.

The driver of the Lincoln Town Car that collided with the bike, Analee Chambless of Napa, suffered serious injuries and was taken to Queen of the Valley Hospital, Sgt. John Kostelac said. Chambless lives in Napa.

"At this time, her injuries do not appear to be life threatening," Kostelac said on Friday afternoon. He added that Chambless, 69, suffered multiple lacerations on her face, wrist and upper torso.

The crash happened on Lincoln Avenue just east of Marin Street.

The impact of the crash pressed the Honda 600 F4 I motorcycle into the driver's seat and back door of the silver sedan. The bike still had the paper license plates of a new purchase on it.

Gruenhagen was thrown onto the hood of the car, where paramedics worked feverishly, administering first aid. Family members reached later in the day declined comment.

Chambless had to be removed through the passenger side of the car. As the ambulance rushed her to the emergency room, her purse and one shoe were left on the roadway next to the Town Car.

As of Friday afternoon, investigators were still trying to piece together what lead up to the fatality.

"All we know so far is that the motorcycle was eastbound on Lincoln Avenue from California Boulevard, and the driver of the sedan was leaving a business on Lincoln Avenue," Kostelac said. "We're not sure where her car was when the accident happened."

Lincoln Avenue was closed for a period as officers waited for the major traffic collision investigation team to get on scene.

"The motorcycle is still embedded into the side of the car," Kostelac said. "The team needs to take measurements before it can be removed."

The crash caused a traffic jam, and cars were re-routed around the crash scene from Lincoln Avenue to the neighboring residential streets.

This is the 13th fatal accident in Napa County this year, the second in Napa.

On Jan. 3, Darrell Dean Douglas, 57, of Napa was hit by a Napa teen driver as Douglas crossed in the middle of Soscol Avenue near Lincoln Avenue. Douglas, who was using a walker, was accompanied by a relative, police said. He died the next day at Queen of the Valley Hospital.

The teenage boy driving the car was not cited.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Good GOd.... please ppl, lets all try to watch it. More gear the better

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
This is a repost, but it should be a sticky...Excellent way to see first hand the fragility of a bike vs cage...

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Wow, some scary shots there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
dude... simply by judging how the fiberglass/metal reinforced CAR turned out after the accident... I wonder how fast that bike was flying down the street..

·
Registered
376 Posts
kv2 said:
dude... simply by judging how the fiberglass/metal reinforced CAR turned out after the accident... I wonder how fast that bike was flying down the street..
Ends up, I believe the boy was only doing about 35mph. The old dirtbag made an illegal U-turn in front of him.

I'm more afriad of an old person with a car, than I am a thug with a gun.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
fyi, she died as well.

·
Registered
584 Posts
damn, that is some freaky s#!t

·
Registered
346 Posts
from the article...
Kostelac said witnesses told officers that Gruenhagen was driving well over the posted speed limit of 30 miles an hour.

35 my ass....he was flying. yeah she made an illegal move but you got to be ready for that kinda shit. I feel for his friends and his family.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, i don't think any of us know the exact story so no one should judge. far exceeding the speed limit could be 40 in a 30, or 45. That is easy and common on a motorcycle. Regardless, it looks like she is at fault...pulling a U-turn right across oncoming traffic. When you drive, you can't assume everyone else is doing the exact speed limit. Therefore, you have to pay careful attention before you make any type of turn across oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
65 Posts
f4igrad said:
well, i don't think any of us know the exact story so no one should judge. far exceeding the speed limit could be 40 in a 30, or 45. That is easy and common on a motorcycle. Regardless, it looks like she is at fault...pulling a U-turn right across oncoming traffic. When you drive, you can't assume everyone else is doing the exact speed limit. Therefore, you have to pay careful attention before you make any type of turn across oncoming traffic.
I agree. 70yr old in a town car <stereotyping>, she probably never even saw him regardless of speed. Unfortunate he was too new to have the skills to predict and avoid the crash, and unfortunate she probably didnt see him.

RIP.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mike_V said:
I agree. 70yr old in a town car <stereotyping>, she probably never even saw him regardless of speed. Unfortunate he was too new to have the skills to predict and avoid the crash, and unfortunate she probably didnt see him.

RIP.
Sounds like he was riding recklessly though. Not to justify the u-turn that ultimately led to the accident, but the article said he took off from a stop light while riding between two cars about a half block before. Doesn't sound like a move they teach in MSF.

·
Registered
280 Posts
more of the reason i think once u get 60 u should take another driving and sight test for renewal of license

·
Speed Racer
1,650 Posts
Even if the kid was doing 20 over. She still should have seen him. Speed doesn't make a vehicle invisible it makes it harder to judge how fast it is going. If you can't do that you shouldn't drive.
If that was my brother i would have wished the old bat died. F'ing old people,,i've almost gotten creamed by them so many times.

RIP man.

·
Registered
206 Posts
That looks very bad. The helmet was on the ground. Did he lose it in the crash or was he not wearing it? Anyone know? At any rate. R.I.P.
Sad is what this is.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts