Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
What a shame and waste. Do you think some training and maybe passing the MSF course and getting a license might have prevented this? I know it is easy to armchair quarterback, but I am just seeing too much of this...There has got to be a solution

·
Destiny Calls
502 Posts
My crew got toned out on this guy last night.
I tried to decipher this by looking it up on urban dictionary and still have no idea what it means. Can someone translate to American or British English anytime between say, 1720 and 2000?

No helmet, no license. God Speed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Shame.
No license or helmet, what a recipe for disaster.
Regardless of circumstances, a death is a sad occasion.

On the other hand, Motorcylce? It's repeated more than once, sadly.

Toned out? I just... what?

·
Registered
657 Posts
I tried to decipher this by looking it up on urban dictionary and still have no idea what it means. Can someone translate to American or British English anytime between say, 1720 and 2000?

No helmet, no license. God Speed.

When emergency calls come in to fire stations, first tones are sent to get the attention of the crew at the station, and a message about the emergency comes over the PA.

Reactions: velophile

·
Destiny Calls
502 Posts
When emergency calls come in to fire stations, first tones are sent to get the attention of the crew at the station, and a message about the emergency comes over the PA.
Roger, thank ya :dblthumb

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What Will said. I'm a firefighter, and when we get called to an emergency, we call it "getting toned out".

Lucas

·
Registered
382 Posts
The sad part is he probably went on some forum and ask peoples advice on what motorcycle to get and did not listen to the forum community and decided to get a 600SS instead of a newbie bike. Went out and could not handle it and died. SERIOUSLY people..... If you never rode a bike or ridden dirt bikes but never ridden street bikes do yourself a favor and start small or you end up like this guy.

RIP

·
Registered
417 Posts
+100 to wearing Gear
+1000 to taking MSF course and starting on a bike you r most comfortable on..

R.I.P

·
Always....
4,597 Posts
I got back from work about thirty minutes ago. As I turned off of the interstate I saw where a cruiser rider was lying on his side pinned under his Hog against a sidewalk. There was a deputy sherriff there and paramedics and they were standing around. They guy wasn't moving. that usually means only one thing. He was wearing a tank top, blue jeans and boots.That was all. It had just started drizzling here after several days with no rain. Looked like a fairly low speed incident. Hell of a shame. :(

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Make licensing harder first, Teired licensing second.

I believe that because people don't learn how to handle their motorcycles properly, they can't pass the cones and figure 8 tests at the DMV, so they drive around without a license...instead of learning rudimentary skills.

It may sound Draconian, but I have always advocated impounding the bikes of those caught and holding those bikes until the operator produces a valid endorsement, regardless of who owns the bike

The motorcycle community is going to have to take the lead on this issue or the government and insurance companies are going to impose their will...and we all know how that will turn out

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
It may sound Draconian, but I have always advocated impounding the bikes of those caught and holding those bikes until the operator produces a valid endorsement, regardless of who owns the bike
+1. If the penalty was more severe, it would be feared... If not respected.
MSF could have saved yet another life.

RIP.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The sad part is he probably went on some forum and ask peoples advice on what motorcycle to get and did not listen to the forum community and decided to get a 600SS instead of a newbie bike. Went out and could not handle it and died. SERIOUSLY people..... If you never rode a bike or ridden dirt bikes but never ridden street bikes do yourself a favor and start small or you end up like this guy.

RIP
The media said it was a 2001 Honda, and my crew told me it was a sportbike. So he was either on a F4i, or a 929RR.

Lucas

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I believe that because people don't learn how to handle their motorcycles properly, they can't pass the cones and figure 8 tests at the DMV, so they drive around without a license...instead of learning rudimentary skills.

The motorcycle community is going to have to take the lead on this issue or the government and insurance companies are going to impose their will...and we all know how that will turn out
I like your idea of impounding the bike. Another idea would be to penalize the anyone who sells a bike to someone without a license. I know it sounds harsh, but the guy that sold this kid the bike was charged with a crime for his death, I guarantee people would soon start verifying licenses before sales.

Do dealers sell bikes to unlicensed riders? If so, the prosecuters should start going after the dealers.

Lucas

1 - 20 of 29 Posts