Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very good read....

///////////////

CONVERSION EXPERIENCES generally begin with a quest, and for Bob and Jordan Fogal, it began with a quest for comfort. Bob, who works in marketing, wanted a shorter commute to his office. Matters of the home, as usual, were left to his wife, and Jordan had spent months looking for a house—and had rejected many—when at last she found the one: a regal, stucco box in a gated community near downtown Houston. “You could see what a quality piece of work the house was,” Jordan remembers. She liked the 20-foot ceilings, the granite counters in the kitchen, the stainless-steel appliances—all part of the “Tremont Attention to Detail Difference,” according to the builders’ handout. She assumed that since the house was so nicely appointed, it was also soundly built. Seduced by beauty, certain of value, the Fogals bought the home in April 2002 for $368,564, investing nearly everything they had.

The first disappointment came on the day they moved in. Bob Fogal, weary from unpacking, trudged upstairs to relax in his new whirlpool bath. When he got out, he pulled the plug and “all 100 gallons of that water came down through the dining room ceiling, into the light fixtures, down the columns, onto my dining room table and Oriental rugs,” Jordan recalls. “And I just started screaming.”

The Fogals tried to tell themselves it was just an oversight—one unconnected drain—but then more oversights appeared: a portion of yard that turned into a swamp; a section of house that visibly sagged; heating that wasn’t warm enough; a cooling system not cold enough. And always, and most seriously, water coming in from somewhere. Sitting at breakfast, thanks to a window above them that had been installed upside down, the couple sometimes felt the falling rain.

read rest here....

http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2005/07/home_sour_home.html

·
Registered
813 Posts
Wow.. can't believe that 1) they didn't hire an independent home inspector and 2) they didn't do a final walk through..

yeah.. you have to protect yourself and your investment!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed. The people were pretty stupid but then again if you read the article they were the type who had complete faith in the system and probably would not have had sympathy for anyone else screwed had it not been them.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
a house is just like any other purchase, just more money, if you don't know how to inspect every square foot, hire someone with a bond to do it...If you don't know how to ask questions to be put on the seller's disclosure form, hire a lawyer. It amazes me daily to see how foolish supposedly educated people can be...

·
Registered
9 Posts
we just built our house. and we were less than a 1/4 mile away. we over saw the whole project from seeds to trees. and i know the county inspectors are a pain in the ass but they are there to protect you as well. what a sad story, but if they had a c/o they passed all inspections. sounds to me they paid a few people to turn there head...

·
retired from here
4,122 Posts
That really sux but they should have had an inspection done before they moved in or a final walk through.

What I find interesting in the story is in the top paragraph. What does the fact that she is a republican have to do with her housing problems. Here is the paragraph.

News: What happens when a Republican homemaker goes up against an elusive construction company, a faceless bureaucracy, and the whole housing-industrial complex?

Is this to say that if they were democrates then these problems would not have happened?

What is next. Maby a story about republicans having more flat tires that those of other parties.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Anybody remember that 1980s movie staring Tom Hanks as that new homeowner, think it was called "Money Pit" or something to that effect? Eerily similar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts