Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need a new battery for my CBR954. I replaced it about 4 years ago and it was $125. BULLSHIT!! Does anyone have a good source for good batteries that are a bit more affordable?

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Amazon. Seriously. A couple weeks ago I found a deal for 50% off ACDelco powersports batteries. Got a nice small AGM for the bike I'm building for $26 shipped! Unfortunately the wait time on that one is kinda long and I haven't gotten it yet, but I dont need it right now either. Their regular prices still kill everyone though.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Cyclegear. I paid 130 for the F4i and it's a life time warranty. Unless CG goes out of business I basically have free batteries for life. It's going on 2 years old with an alarm (armed every night) and I haven't had a single problem with it.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
I got mine at the dealer two weeks ago only because I didn't want to be dooped by the amazoninans sending me a battery I have to fill with acid and not what I wanted.

$129 with tax. I don't care, it's a GS (agm) which is yuasa usa 100% sealed at the factory, all charged up and ready to install. the stock one lasted me this long(that's right the bike was built in sept 2002) so that to me is the best deal on a battery you could ask for.
Power Sports | GS Battery (USA), Inc.

I see a lot of guys having good luck from scorpion batteries from Motorcycle Batteries, ATV, Car, Marine, and Solar Battery Products | BatteryStuff.com
It's right around $55 for mine from them. with free shipping

·
Registered
971 Posts
I've used Scorpion batteries from BatteryStuff.com. So far, so good. They seem to last3-5 years if kept on a tender.

I've also gotten batteries from Napa that work well. A little more than Scorpion, but still less than 125.00.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Take some advice from an old guy who has been riding for over 45 years; the battery is one area not to go cheap for your motorcycle. The battery is the foundation for a bike's reliability and performance. I quickly tossed the heavy lead-acid marginal battery in my Triumph STR and installed an 18Ah Shorai lithium battery which cranks like crazy, lasts 10 years, and saves an amazing 5 lbs in weight. This strong battery and their dedicated charger/tender is well worth the $250 for long term peace of mind and the money saved on tow truck charges.

·
Are we not men?
9,017 Posts
I just bought a Shorai lithium off FleaBay for $143 shipped free. 2.2lbs vs 6.8 for the stock Yuasa. It arrived in 3 days. Dropped right in, perfect fit and fully charged.

The only problem is that I won't be able to use my Battery Tender on this because it says it may charge to 15v and Shorai says no charging above 14.5v or damage/fire may occur.

This is the seller: Shorai LFX14A4 Lithium Battery Honda 01 10 CBR600RR 87 00 CBR600 | eBay

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Take some advice from an old guy who has been riding for over 45 years; the battery is one area not to go cheap for your motorcycle. The battery is the foundation for a bike's reliability and performance. I quickly tossed the heavy lead-acid marginal battery in my Triumph STR and installed an 18Ah Shorai lithium battery which cranks like crazy, lasts 10 years, and saves an amazing 5 lbs in weight. This strong battery and their dedicated charger/tender is well worth the $250 for long term peace of mind and the money saved on tow truck charges.
Not to mention the whole not starting in cold weather benefit.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
and dont forget the fire hazard right under your sack, boeing can tell you all about that if your interested.

In all seriousness any amg battery will do. brand doesn't matter much cause they are all made in the same factory no matter what brand it is.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
In all seriousness any amg battery will do. brand doesn't matter much cause they are all made in the same factory no matter what brand it is.
You're close. There are actually around 3 big automotive battery manufacturers that brand them in hundreds of different labels. Johnson Controls and Exide being the biggest 2. Since everyone always seems to rave about Yuasa motorcycle batteries I feel I should mention that Yuasa and Exide are the same company, and they regularly private label batteries for many different companies.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Not to mention the Tech3 MotoGP team just had a fire in their pit at the Austin GP last week due to a lithium battery spontaneously combusting overnight. It's great technology but I'm gonna wait till they iron out all the problems before I buy one.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Shorai lithium

I got the 18Ah model because of the cold spring and fall around here in Canada but the 14Ah model should be fine for the USA. Btw the small lead-acid batteries in motorcycles really suck for cold weather starting, losing half their power below 40F, combined with the cold thick oil in the engine. Most of the time I had to boost my previous motorcycles to get them going in the Spring even after charging the lead-acid battery, not so with this Shorai. In cold weather a lithium battery usually starts on the second try after the ions get revved up (a lead-acid battery gets weaker). Sorry, but heavy corrosive sulphating lead-acid batteries are from the stone-age; light, powerful and quick charging lithium batteries are the future for motorcycles.
-Highly recommend Shorai's excellent charger ($60) which connects to a cable to a 5 pin port on the battery and automatically shuts down after fully charging and balancing the cells. Has storage mode too. Again the 18Ah model battery is best if one is often riding in temps below 40F. The fire hazard thing with lithium is bullcrap btw especially with Shorai and a properly functioning R/R. I have seen lead-acid batteries explode when boosted the wrong way.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
I got the 18Ah model because of the cold spring and fall around here in Canada but the 14Ah model should be fine for the USA. Btw the small lead-acid batteries in motorcycles really suck for cold weather starting, losing half their power below 40F, combined with the cold thick oil in the engine. Most of the time I had to boost my previous motorcycles to get them going in the Spring even after charging the lead-acid battery, not so with this Shorai. In cold weather a lithium battery usually starts on the second try after the ions get revved up (a lead-acid battery gets weaker). Sorry, but heavy corrosive sulphating lead-acid batteries are from the stone-age; light, powerful and quick charging lithium batteries are the future for motorcycles.
-Highly recommend Shorai's excellent charger ($60) which connects to a cable to a 5 pin port on the battery and automatically shuts down after fully charging and balancing the cells. Has storage mode too. Again the 18Ah model battery is best if one is often riding in temps below 40F. The fire hazard thing with lithium is bullcrap btw especially with Shorai and a properly functioning R/R. I have seen lead-acid batteries explode when boosted the wrong way.
Except its a known issue that the lightweight batteries are horrible at starting below 40 deg. The standard lead acid should be good below 20 on the 675. The 675 motor takes more juice to start than others, and other bikes will start fine on a lead acid below that even.

Sorry, but it's too expensive and too limiting at this time. I continue to ride in the cold weather and I don't want a battery that won't allow me to ride year round in sub 30 deg temps.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
You're close. There are actually around 3 big automotive battery manufacturers that brand them in hundreds of different labels. Johnson Controls and Exide being the biggest 2. Since everyone always seems to rave about Yuasa motorcycle batteries I feel I should mention that Yuasa and Exide are the same company, and they regularly private label batteries for many different companies.
of course you should expect us to ask you for proof of your claims.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Not to mention the Tech3 MotoGP team just had a fire in their pit at the Austin GP last week due to a lithium battery spontaneously combusting overnight. It's great technology but I'm gonna wait till they iron out all the problems before I buy one.

I've seen lead acid batteries explode before. in the face of some mechanic too. drenching his face in acid and he lost his eyesight. look at a battery next time it will say it can explode right on it.

·
Are we not men?
9,017 Posts

It is recommended to turn the key on for 30 seconds to a minute to warm the battery before trying to start in cold weather.

and dont forget the fire hazard right under your sack, boeing can tell you all about that if your interested.
Shorai's manual says that the battery shouldn't ever be charged above 14.5v and the current push has to be low (I can't find it now, but I think it's less than 2A). Above that level, the battery can/will catch fire from the internal heat generated.

The first thing I thought of with the Boeing situation is that they were pushing too much current or voltage or both for that to happen.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts