Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up this 2001 for really cheap. Everyone has joked it looks like a bass boat due to the metal flake. So I figured might as well go with it. Don't worry its already scheduled for paint, but the 2.99 sticker was too hard to resist

·
Registered
177 Posts
i always said that if i hit the lottery i was going to buy a lamborghini and paint it with bass boat paint and put bass master stickers all over it.

-just to because i could.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yamaha sure has changed the look of their outboards. :eek:nfloor :eek:nfloor

·
Banned
2,680 Posts
advodka said:
Yamaha sure has changed the look of their outboards. :eek:nfloor :eek:nfloor
:lao

·
Registered
910 Posts
What kind of crash was it involved in?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eyespy said:
What kind of crash was it involved in?
supposedly he lowsided it after losing traction on a manhole cover after it stormed....to be honest, after putting new sprockets, a 530 chain, and changing the oil I have come to the conclusion the whole bike needs going over. The bike runs great and feels very balanced it just needs some maintenance.

·
Registered
910 Posts
That's a good idea. Check all the nuts and bolts for torque, also, going through all of the electrical connections to inspect them and apply dielectric grease is a good idea. Check the head set for play, etc.

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
whack said:
vin and title say 2001, and the decal on the frame says 12/00.

how can I tell the difference?
The 99's and 00's had a smaller rear tire hugger. You can't get the b***** one to fit either. Trust me I bought one and tired. It has different bolt patterns.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Eyespy said:
That's a good idea. Check all the nuts and bolts for torque, also, going through all of the electrical connections to inspect them and apply dielectric grease is a good idea. Check the head set for play, etc.
the ohlins steering dampener i think covers up anything that would seem weird in the headset....at least to me, being a new rider
my buddy who is in the advanced class at Summit said it seemed okay, but feels the front wheel should be balanced

Nevrsumr22, thanks for the info I will check into it. with a paintjob like that, one can only guess what this bike has been through

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
whack said:
Nevrsumr22, thanks for the info I will check into it. with a paintjob like that, one can only guess what this bike has been through
Yea you can see in this pic that it only has one bolt on the rear fender. It's smaller also. That was my 99.

And no chicken strips comments. That was the selling photo when I bought the bike. :twofinger :lol

Attachments

·
Registered
910 Posts
whack said:
the ohlins steering dampener i think covers up anything that would seem weird in the headset....at least to me, being a new rider
my buddy who is in the advanced class at Summit said it seemed okay, but feels the front wheel should be balanced

A damper won't hide a loose headset. You have to suspend the front of the bike, take hold of the lower fork tubes from the front of the bike, and push and pull, checking for any fore and aft play. The purpose of the steering damper is to dissipate and damp out oscillatory movements about the steering axis.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nice bike!!! yeah mine is dirty from a storm yesterday....and yeah I can't even call my chicken strips they are still too big....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Eyespy said:
A damper won't hide a loose headset. You have to suspend the front of the bike, take hold of the lower fork tubes from the front of the bike, and push and pull, checking for any fore and aft play. The purpose of the steering damper is to dissipate and damp out oscillatory movements about the steering axis.
will do! and while I have ya here... how should I suspend the front end safely.

·
Registered
910 Posts
whack said:
will do! and while I have ya here... how should I suspend the front end safely.
Here's how I usually do it. Having a friend handy to help you keep the bike stable and secure the first time or two is probably a good idea:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts