Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting my license very shortly and i have a few questions...actually a lot.
Any tips of any sort will help
1) What do I look for and watch out for if it starts raining...are bikes usually ok?
2) What do I do if my bike starts to wobble?
3) what happens if i see small pot holes up ahead(where i live the road are paved...just not that maintained)
4) any riding tips for a beginer would help a lot....

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well, being a relatively new rider I'll try and help you out. Find out whatever version of the MSF beginners course is offered in Canada and take it. Not only will the class give you the answers to all your questions, but they'll show you exercises and help you practice them. To answer your questions:

1) Same as in a car, just slow down. A bike is less likely to hydroplane since it's tires are generally thinner than those on a car, but you only have 2 on the ground. I definitely wouldn't consider riding in the rain if I didn't have several thousand miles under my belt.
2) Depends on why it's wobbling. If you're talking a tank-slapper under hard acceleration, just accelerate through it. If it's under braking, gently ease off the front brake and use the rear to slow down if necessary.
3) As long as you're going a reasonable speed, you should be able to thread your bike around any holes in the road. Small ones don't really pose any threat to your bike, but standing on the pegs and using your legs as additional shocks helps. Larger potholes can bend your wheels, so be sure and avoid them.
4) Just ride within your limits. Practice in parking lots. Take the MSF Equivilent. Get a 500cc or lower bike to start with if you really want to learn to ride. Wear your gear and don't try and impress anyone and you'll be off to a better start than 99% of people out there. Good luck and welcome to the boards!

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I'll add a couple. First take the MSF or equivalent in Canada.

When it rains, not only are the roads slick, but any painted lines or markings are REALLY slick. So are metal things like grates and access covers in the road.

If the bike is wobbling, fiqure out why and correct either what you are doing wrong or what may be wrong with the bike. Wobble is not a natural state for a bike.

Get gear and ride safe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
one more question... im sure they will be teaching me this in MSF for canada..i think its called gearing up. Bailing... when should I do this(i hope never...but better to know) and how should I do it? and how should I roll out of the bail(again i hope it never comes down to this)

·
Registered
753 Posts
No real way to bail. Unless you mean dropping your bike. In that case, they will cover that. But as far as falling is concerned, never ever bail on purpose. You could wind up high siding yo urself. Just pray if you fall you come out alive, usually its too quick to really react.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Also be very light on the front brakes if it is raining. The front brakes will make it very easy for the front to break loose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts